Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobbin & Top Thread

Dear MSQC girls,

Do both the bobbin and top thread need to be the same color when finishing the quilt? I have a gold backing and the quatrefoil pattern on the front pieced in the Summer Breeze layer cake with a green leaf batik for 1st border and a blue for the second border. I just don't know if the top thread can be white and the bottom thread golden color.

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you, Beth F.

Re: Bobbin & Top Thread

Sure. I've done it before.
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

I would try a little and see how you like it. If your tension is perfect [who has perfect tension LOL] it should be fine. I have used two different colored threads with pretty fair results, lots of people have problems with that.

Comment

I think a lot of the problems with the bottom thread showing on the top or vise versa stops a lot of us from doing the two different threads, Often the Washing and Drying of the said quilt will eliminate that problem.

It sure eliminates a lot of other little problems for me and my FMQ... LOL
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Maybe you have a bit left over fabric, make a small Sandwich with the same batting and try different thread combinations. That`s what I do, when I am not sure how it will look like and if today my Madame Bernina is kind enough to use the right Tension. Good luck

Comment

Definitely do some testing first. Also, make sure the weights of your threads are compatible. For example, with 50 weight on the top, you can use 50 or 60 or anything higher in the bobbin. But if you use a thicker thread on the top (40, 30, 28 weights), your best bet is to still use 50 or 60 weight in the bobbin.

In a situation like yours, I would be looking for a 60 weight "bobbin" thread in a neutral color like taupe. The 60 weight, thread is fine enough that you barely see it on the backing.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thank you for all this information. I did not realize I could use a different weight bobbin thread from the top thread.

Comment

I keep a mini quilt at the machine for testing thread, needle and stitching. Seldom use the same color for top and bobbin. Have fun with the testing!

Comment

Originally posted by Beth F. View Post
                  Dear MSQC girls,

Do both the bobbin and top thread need to be the same color when finishing the quilt? I have a gold backing and the quatrefoil pattern on the front pieced in the Summer Breeze layer cake with a green leaf batik for 1st border and a blue for the second border. I just don't know if the top thread can be white and the bottom thread golden color.

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you, Beth F.
                  Are you Quilting this yourself, sending it in to MSQC or taking it to a longarmer?

If you are doing the quilting on your domestic machine, do a test with scraps.
                  If you are sending to MSQC, they only use same color top and bottom.
                  If you are taking to a Longarmer, ask their policy.
                  The stitching may show on the lighter areas with two color thread, pick a color that may blend with both.
                  Good luck with your quilt! I have colors and white on my Quatrefoil Mystery Quilt top and coordinating blue on the back, I quilted
                  with White thread.
                  Happy Quilting
                  Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X