Minkee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minkee

I just read your latest blog, about Minkee, and I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate on the fabric (is it stretchy??) and the rag quilt you made? I'm pretty new to this and couldn't figure out if you meant that you're using flannel as part of the top or as backing.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Minkee

I'm going to try and elaborate a little for you, Minkee is a soft almost plush feeling fabric it has a little stretch to it but is not intended as a stretchy fabric. It's softer than fleece and often used for baby or cuddly type blankets or projects.
    As for the rag quilt they made I believe the flannel was for the back but when you make a rag quilt you cut everything in squares and stack each like it's own little mini quilt, it would be stacked Minkee (or other top fabric), batting (if desired), and flannel (or backing). You sew an X on these from corner to corner and then line up your squares as desired for the quilt. Sew the squares together with your selvages to the top, sew a straight line around all the outside edges, and clip all the raw edges every 1/2" or so (more or less, as desired) to get the rag quilt look.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense it's a really easy self finishing quilt. Fun for beginners and to have on the couch to snuggle in with a good movie or book!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Re: Minkee

Thanks for the info! For the middle (batting) layer you can either omit the batting entirely, or use fabric or flannel, if I'm understanding correctly?

Thanks so much for responding :-).
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
      X