X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katherine Vickery Ringo
    replied
    Re: Sewing machines with quilting patterns

The only thing I can think is to purchase an embroidery machine and quilt in the hoop. There are lots of quilting designs available for embroidery machines.

Leave a comment:

• DanielaK
    replied

If you have a machine which you can drop the feed dog and have a darning or open toe foot attachment, then you can stipple or meander which is the basic quilting stitches that all long arm machine do.

Stippling can be easier on a sewing machine than by hand, but there is a technique to it. The trick is develop a rhythm in moving the fabric and controlling your stitching speed at the same time.

Check your machine's settings before getting started. The feed dogs should either be lowered or covered. Your quilt sandwich will be manually fed through the machine throughout the process. Use a darning foot and set the stitch length and width to zero.

If you have not done stippling before, working on a test sandwich is a good way to develop a feel for it. It is important your are comfortable with manually moving the fabric and stitching speed before working up your actual project. Once you have the rhythm, moving onto the real thing is easier and you will see what you can accomplish.

Another Technique is Meandering. Meandering may be where a lot of quilters start their free motion but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Meandering requires you to constantly choose your next direction while keeping consistent spacing and filling in areas fluidly. That’s a lot to focus on! It takes a fair amount of practice to do this without getting yourself worked into a corner, crossing lines or leaving gaps of unfilled space.

So if you’ve tried meandering before and it hasn’t worked out, keep practicing! Meandering can be anything---meandering across your quilt- wavy lines, loops, stars, flowers, meandering along.

YouTube either method, there are some pretty good examples, shown online.
    Last edited by DanielaK; August 4, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by bec View Post
    Just to clarify, when I said "long arm" I meant those big professional machines like the MSQC uses to do peoples quilts. I want a machine for regular household use that will be good for quilting. I just want to know if any have quilting patterns built-in.
    Bec, I've never heard of one - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. However, my embroidery machine has built-in quilting 'stitches' and if something can be hooped there are many quilting designs that can be sewn. For instance, I have a Husqvarna Viking embroidery machine with a hoop that is HUGE (I don't remember the exact size off the top of my head) and the hoop can hold the quilt top, light-weight batting, and the backing. I've never used it to do a quilting job though - plan to try it some day on perhaps a table runner or wall hanging - something smaller than a quilt. Given all that, you would have to have the design and the software and ability to enlarge or adjust the design to fit where you want it sewn - and that's a steep learning curve that I'm trying hard to reach the top of (sorry for the dangling participle!).

Leave a comment:

• bec
    replied

Just to clarify, when I said "long arm" I meant those big professional machines like the MSQC uses to do peoples quilts. I want a machine for regular household use that will be good for quilting. I just want to know if any have quilting patterns built-in.

Leave a comment:

• Txgrandma
    replied

Bec , I can't give you any advice on a machine but I can sure wish you luck on finding one you will love.

Leave a comment:

• MaryB
    replied

Hello Bec. My Pfaff Quilt Expression has a program of what they call 'antique quilting stitches', but I'm not so sure. I don't use them, preferring simple grids and curves using a straight stitch. By the way I love my Pfaff and wouldn't swap brands for quids. I guess we all feel that way about our favourite machines LOL. What is certain though, you will get lots of great advice here.

Cheers. Mary B.

Leave a comment:

• bec
    started a topic Sewing machines with quilting patterns

Sewing machines with quilting patterns

I have only done hand quilting, but due to hand problems I am thinking about machine quilting. I have a 35 year old Necchi which has been a good machine, but has seen better days.
    I'm wondering if there is a machine (other than a long-arm) that has quilting patterns included with it. I know there are a lot that have quilting feet for free-form quilting, but I haven't seen any that mention quilting patterns. I'd like to be able to either.
Working...
X