Help with disappearing nine patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with disappearing nine patch

After viewing the tutorial on the disappearing nine patch I thought "that looks simple enough for me to try." My little fabric store doesn't carry charm packs but I got fabrics that had a color theme. Yesterday I cut up my first square just to check it out. Ugh! I've got this dark fabric that stands out like a sore thumb. Can I mix up the small squares (nine patch already quartered) with other blocks so the dark is dispersed throughout the quilt?

Re: Help with disappearing nine patch

I just finished a D9P quilt Monday. I had some charm packs, but I also bought another fabric so I could put the same fabric in the center of each big 9 patch. I wanted to use the same fabric for the border of my quilt. By doing this, when the big 9 patch was cut into 4 pieces, the center block (mine was a dark color) was the small square and the dark color wasn't so noticeable. Yes, you can mix up your D9P patches any way you want to distribute your colors. My only rule was to not have any seams to match when constructing the blocks. Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've made a D9P quilt some time ago. With pretty dark colors, a lot of dark blue. You can see it in my album. Maybe having a look at that can be of any help?

Comment

I love the DP9
        It will all look OK when it is all put together. I mix up my layout when I make the blocks, trying to get as random as possible so that the fabric distribution is all different. I just make sure I don't have matching fabric next to each other.

Darker fabric will make a nice contrast

I like Bubby's idea of having the darker fabric in the middle, I'll have to try that too.
        I also sew the blocks together so that no seams match. Just pay attention when making your rows on those seams too. You will have the ending seams matching on your rows, but that is all.

It's all good!
        Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Not sure where I read this but it was suggested to put the one dark square in the middle, surrounded by lighter squares (left, right, top, bottom) of the dark sq and then in the corners put the focus fabric, either all the same, all different or 2 of each. Those are the squares that will not get cut. I made one with the focus fabric being fussy cut (pirates) and then match the rest of the colors in that with the rest of the squares using red as the center sq and the lighter colors from the focus in the other sq. Clear as mud? haha! I've also made one in all shades of pink, using the center sq a dark rose color. (Have never used a charm pack, I cut my own sq, you could make them any size!) The beauty of this pattern is there is really no one way to do it. You could use scraps for the whole kit and kaboodle. Then placing them after rejoining that is pleasing to the eye helps, too. Good luck, neetteech!

Comment

I'll bet your dark fabric will look just fine mixed into the quilt. If you really dislike it, just don't use very much. Placement is everything. Good luck and let us know how it all turned out.
            Susan

Comment

Cynthia, You "got" it exactly right. The four corners are not cut. I put my favorite fabrics in the corners; the middle row will be cut, but the outside middle row blocks will be cut once and they will be oblong; and the very center block will be cut into quarters and be the smallest blocks. I wanted my border fabric to be the same as part of the interior blocks, so I cut 5" squares and used the same fabric in the center of each bloick. By no means is this necessary. I was just trying to incorporate fabric I purchased (not from the Sugar Pop line) for borders and putting a little in each square. It sounds like you have made some nice D9P's...would love to see them. The nice thing about the D9P is you can do yur own thing...nothing is wrong and nothing is the way you have to do it. Barb

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks to all who commented; the dark looks fine mixed into the entire quilt. It was fun to assemble the squares, kind of like putting a puzzle together. One difficulty I ran into was the fact that I used two different stripes, luckily one was dark, the other, light. Now I'm working on the back. I always try to use up the leftovers because I don't have room to store scraps.

Comment

The leftover squares (if you have any) make cute table runners.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X