Taking The Leap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking The Leap

Yesterday I finished my first D9P quilt using the Sugar Pop collection (Moda) and two fabrics I added. It was a real enjoyable summer project. Sugar Pop is 70's retro looking and has lots of color and movement.

As soon as my quilt and backing were pressed and ready to go, I rushed them to my local long-arm quilter before I could change my mind. It felt a bit like having a baby and immediately rushing it to a babysitter. Oddly enough the quilting lady was babysitting yesterday also.

Yes, this will be my first quilt to be machine quilted. I've quilted for almost 50 years and I've hand quilted everything. Now that I'm a little older (okay, a L-O-T older!) and the knuckle in my quilting finger is worn out, I'm taking the leap into the mystical world of machine quilting. The quilting lady was understanding and listened to all my concerns and wasn't even offended when I expressed a little doubt about her batting. She reassured me she would do her best work and possibly have it ready by the end of the week. So now I wait and wonder.....

Here's a giggle on our little town: There are three lovely ladies who machine quilt and all their names rhyme...Shirley Hurley, Bert Gert and Mary Barry! Isn't that too cute?

What type of experiences have you had taking your quilts to be machine quilted??

Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Re: Taking The Leap

Barb, I hate to tell you, but I think those ladies must made up their names!!

I have only sent one quilt out to be professionally quilted and I must say that I was extremely pleased with the results. I've got my fingers crossed (those that still work well) that you will be more than happy when you get yours back. Here's to a fun time adding the binding.

Hugs!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I love having my quilts 'professionally' quilted. She has a huge longarm and does a wonderful job. I would never ever come close. (besides not having a clue!) I rationalize the expense by saying I wouldn't go to a carpenter to have my teeth worked on so why should I try and and quilt? (I must admit, I am trying to do some 'in the ditch', though. Who knows what will come later? haha!)
      Barb...that is too funny about the rhyming names! Clever. I am with Sandy....maybe they made them up! Just kidding!

Comment

I worked with a lady years ago whose name was Beverly Everly. LOL

I'm with everyone else....I dont know what I would do without LAQ being available...I cant hand quilt, my fingers dont cooperate.
        Dont think of it as sending your baby to a baby sitter. Think of it as sending them off to college to graduate and become all they can be!!
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Mary, I loved your Beverly Everly.....My ladies are real people I've known for years and years. I'll try to think of my quilt at college and hopefully Mary Barry will work her magic. Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I wonder if Mary Barry is married to Harry ...
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

She divorced Harry when she caught him with Sherry...she is now married to Gary.

(Need to edit to say I made this all up!!)
              ~Mary
              As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I love the long arm quilters too. I sure understand how you feel. The quilt I worked on for weeks and weeks (the black stars quilt) is now at the LQS and I can barely wait until I get the call that it's finished. Just out of curiosity.... what does your long arm quilter charge? I pay 1 penny per square inch. Not sure if that is a lot or if it is a bargain....
                ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I'm with meemeecyn about professional long arm quilters. I have all my quilt tops done by a wonderful woman and couldn't possibly do as well by hand. I admire those of you who hand quilt, it's an amazing talent.

I went to church with a woman whose married name was Chris Cross. Boy, did she hear a lot of jokes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mia View Post
                    I love the long arm quilters too. I sure understand how you feel. The quilt I worked on for weeks and weeks (the black stars quilt) is now at the LQS and I can barely wait until I get the call that it's finished. Just out of curiosity.... what does your long arm quilter charge? I pay 1 penny per square inch. Not sure if that is a lot or if it is a bargain....
                    I went to one shop here who charges .025 cents per square inch. The lady who did the only quilt I have ever had done professionally charged .015 per square inch. If I am not mistaken, that is what M*QC charges, also. I'm truly surprised that CA quilters are that much less expensive . . .
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

If I can ever manage to put together a top large enough and good looking enough, I will definitely be sending it to MSQC for a professional quilting! I had a woman to a T-shirt quilt for my oldest right before he went to Marine Corps boot camp. She hand a long arm quilting machine and the back of the quilt is gorgeous! The front is great too..but I really love looking at the back! I had another T-shirt quilt made for the youngest when he graduated from HS and a local woman did it. She did a wonderful job on her sewing machine. Can't wait to see a pic of your 'baby' when it comes back from the 'groomer' bubby!

Comment

Hi Girls, As a women who also has a worn out knuckle...I too love the Long arm quilting. Here at MSQC we will quilt your quilt in an all over pattern for 1.5 cents a square inch. We have hundreds of patterns and we offer a 2 week turn around. I love my long arm quilter too!

Comment

Working...
                        X