Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Brand

Hi Girls,

I have noticed that on the videos you sew on a Janome machine. I am looking for a better machine but am very limited on funds. I have a brother I got from walmart and have just started sewing quilt tops. It sounds like a jackhammer (lol) when I am sewing and go over a thin seam. It was only 79 dollars at the time but I really do want this to be a life time hobby and want a smooth running machine. Just wonder what model yours was. It looks like it does a great job.

Have a good day,
    Sandy

Re: Machine Brand

I'm not a MSQC Girl....but I have a a few Singers, a Brother and a Janome. I actually paid less for the Janome than I did for one of my Singers. In several of Jenny's video's, she's using a Singer machine, too.

Just an option if you're leaning towards a Janome: Go visit a dealer near you...look around, they have machines for almost every budget. You might even ask them if they have any trade-ins. My dealer will take the older models in on trade towards the newer models, and they have fantastic prices on the floor models. I got a great discount by buying the floor model when they were making room for the newer models. It doesnt hurt to ask! Good Luck!!
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I have a Kenmore that I bought on sale at Sears and I love it.
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

My friend just bought a Singer and she quilts with it.
        Susan

Comment

I have a singer quilting machine. I love it. It sews nice and smooth and is fairly quiet. I got it at Joann's Fabric and waited for it to go on sale. It goes for 399.00 and I got it for 299.00 with a nice warranty and they have someone at the store for service. He comes in twice a month. It has a nice large bed but you can also do cuffs on it as well as quilts. It came with a 1/4 inch foot, a free motion quilt or darning foot a, zipper foot, several other feet, and a even feed foot. I forget what other people call it. It feeds all three layers at an even pace. I haven't used mine yet. But I will!
          Just a thought. Hugs, Jan L
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

It sounds like a jackhammer (lol) when I am sewing and go over a thin seam.
            Try putting a fresh needle in. I find this tends to help. I have a Babylock that I bought about 12 years ago. I dont remember how much it cost but it's a solid machine that takes a LOT of abuse!

Comment

I have a New Home that I bought in 1988 that sews like a dream and a Viking Emerald that I just purchased. I love, love, love the New Home and will try to get used to the computerized Viking. BTW, New Home was bought out by Janome.

Comment

I have a babylock that I love and an Elna which I don't think they make anymore. It is my workhorse. love that machine
                Patrice

Comment

I use a New Home I bought about 15 years ago and it's wonderful. New Home was bought out by Janome. If the Janome brand is a fraction as good as New Home, you would have a fine machine. For paper piecing I use a Singer Featherweight. There are several great machines on the market. You need to take a day and try several brands and see what suits you and your budget. A good sewing machine is an investment,
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Most machines will work well if they are cleaned and oiled regularly...by the owner! Learn how to do it and take good care by cleaning after every project. I was able to buy a Pfaff before I was married (54 years ago) and am such a fan...but they are expensive. I now have a Pfaff Tiptronic that was designed for quilting and I love it as much as my first machine. If some much older person in your community ever sells a Singer Featherweight...try to buy it. They are the old time standard and are still great quilting machines without a bit of electronic things to go wrong. A previous tip about changing needles (do this frequently) is a good one. Good Luck in your looking! Ann Marie

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

Comment

My darling husband got tired of listening to me complain about the old beater models that I picked up at auctions or yard sales and could never seem to get to sew just right (hence, they were in a sale). The year I lost my mom and my real estate office he felt so sad for me, he went and bought me a Bernette 92C (it's the top baby Bernina model before a full blown Bernina) for a present! How I LOVE that man! This machine does everything I need it to and probably then some. My friends love to come sew on it because it sews so easily! I'm now a firm believer in buying something "worth the money" and you won't be sorry! A good machine makes less headaches when you are in the middle of a big project! If you can't afford to buy what you want, start a little at a time. Like the person said in the above post, keep trading up until you get what you want!

In addition, my MIL had a New Home Memory Craft 8000 (it does embroidery) she bought brand new after my FIL passed away (do you see a pattern with our family?). She was attacked by dementia and I bought the machine from her boys for $250 and have been searching for cartridges for it ever since. I have tons of fun with this little jewel.
                      All my best,

Veterkins

Do something wonderful, people may imitate it!

Comment

I have a Babylock Esante machine which also embroiders. I love it and it has been a great machine. I've it for about 5 years now. I like that I can use it for embroidery, general sewing and quilting. I new to quilting and just learning.

Comment

I have only been sewing quilts since September and I asked my husband for a Janome 6120 QDC last Christmas. It only weighs 12lbs and is great to take to Quilting class. I love the automatic thread cutter, needle up/down button and auto lock button. This machine sews great with my inexperience and is a really quiet. I bought it at my local quilt shop and they are great to help when I have questions.

Comment

Speaking of embroidery machines, I am looking at a Brother PE700 on Craigslist and wonder if I should beg my DH to get it for me. I have a basic Singer zigzag, a Brother 350 that embroiders a 4x4 but this one does a 5x7, I just don't know if I would really use it. I also have a couple of industrial machines, a needle feed/walking foot, a Brother industrial serger.
                            Am I talking myself into or out of this machine?????

Any sage advice out there?

Comment

I have a Janome Magnolia 7330 and love it. I learned on a Singer when I was a teen (a hundred years ago) and my DH bought me a Singer when we were first married. I brought it in to get cleaned and he told me it would cost half what a new machine would cost. He recommended the above as a good starting machine. After 2 years, I am still loving it, but when I want to trade up (would like embroidery option) I will go with a Janome.

Comment

Working...
                              X