Stack and Whack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stack and Whack

I watched your wonderful tutorial on the Stack and Whack. Then bought Christmas fabric and black solid. I cut a 3 "x 8" rectangle and 6 " triangles. I followed the directions but am off by 1/4. By now I have a team trying to figure out what we are doing wrong. The first triangle sews on right but when we thry to sew the two triangles we have problems with it not fitting. The bias side will not fit . The out side does. What are we doing wrong. I am sure this is clear as mud.

Re: Stack and Whack

Do you use a walking foot? This is a vital tool in quilting. This keeps both fabrics moving under the needle at the same rate. Bias is easily stretched so handle gently and it can also usually be eased with a little finger manipulation or even an extra pin or two. Pin each end of your seam and ease the fabric under the needle. Try this to see if it solves your problem. Good Luck!

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

Comment

stack and whack? what's that? Did I miss something?
      ~Shannon~

Women are Angels ...
      And when someone breaks our wings...
      we simply continue to fly...
      on a broomstick...

We are flexible....

Comment

** I am posting this here as well... am anxious to see what the MSQG answer... they always make things seem simple!!

I am curious about this... i watched the tut and can see as well that there is not enough fabric either side of the point to allow for a nice seam allowance.... in the finished quilt... the stars and separated by background... so something different was done... does it help if we make the "background strip piece WIDER... " in my mind it seems like it work, but i'm not a pro... only someone that "flys by the seat of pants"... can someone with quilting background help me with this... i have turnovers and charms "galore" and would love to use them with this pattern... thanks in advance... Barbara
        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Hi this is Jenny and I am not sure what you are doing wrong....The turnovers are 6 inch squares cut on the diagonal and the rectangle is...i think...8 x 2 3/4 that may be your quarter of an inch, but I wouldn't think that would matter? Let me know if you get it figured out.

Comment

Working...
          X