Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What material should I use to make face masks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What material should I use to make face masks?

I want to make face masks for my mom's lung transplant support group but I am not sure what material to use.

I can use any type of fabric (cotton, flannel...) for the exterior, but it also needs to have a fabric to ilter out germs. I read online that a non-woven fabric will work so I was thinking of using a non-woven fusible interfacing. I have also read online about anti-microbacterial type fabric. Maybe there is some type of laundry detergent with anti-microbacterial properties?

Does anyone have experience with this or could provide some guidance?

THANKS!

Re: What material should I use to make face masks?

X-Static fabric is one brand of fabric used for antimicrobial apparel. You can follow them on facebook or twitter. They are starting to use this type of fabric in nursing scrubs, etc. However, I do not believe it is available outside of the medical community for individuals to purchase. Medical face masks must be approved by the FDA and are assigned a barrier filtration efficiency rating (such as you will find on a box of disposable face masks).

Fabric face masks are used for many things: cleaning, mowing lawns, allergy season, nail technicians, etc. These are usually 100% cotton, have an aluminum nose piece, and elastic. Not sure how much use they are in a medical setting.

Comment

Could you take the store bought ones and decorate them somehow??
      "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

I thought about designing the face mask to be used as the cover of a store bought one.

Comment

Working...
        X