Question about cutting blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about cutting blocks

I made a Summer in the Park quilt and used the same ruler to cut all my blocks. Some were a 1/4 to 3/4 inches smaller. Can anyone tell me how I got different sizes cutting blocks off of the strip sets? I lost some of my points because my squares were so off. My neighbor wants me to make one for her & I'd love to be able to cut more accurately and have perfect points.

Re: Question about cutting blocks

Stretching? Just guessing, but since these are cut on the bias, i suggest you stiffen the strips up with starch before cutting. Try one and see if it will make any difference.

Comment

I did this one and said I'd not do another. That being said starch everything heavy before cutting

Comment

My first guess would be that you have a ruler like mine that is 8.5" wide and you may have had it turned the wrong way. Could that be it?
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I was having accuracy problems until I got my June Tailor slotted ruler. They're pricey. But, worth every penny. They have several sizes. Get the biggest you can! I also second the motion on starching. I use spray sizing instead of starch. Keeps the iron cleaner. I get it at Walmart for $1 a can - and a can goes quite a long way.

Comment

I made the same mistake when I made Summer in the Park. You have to turn your ruler right side up to cut the first cut, then upside-down to make the second cut. I ended up having to order more fabric because of that mistake. I called my quilt Topsy because it just kept growing. As I got more fabric I made more blocks.

Comment

Great tips & I will take all of them to heart. Starting today!

Comment

Working...
              X