Dessert Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dessert Roll

Could you do a "jelly roll race" with a dessert roll? Has anyone done it and would it lend itself to the method that Jenny showed of placing a charm square between the strips?

Re: Dessert Roll

I guess it would be doable, but the strips would be very narrow. I have made place mats using the smaller cuts.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

A dessert roll has about the same fabric as 30 jelly roll strips, with some waste because they are 5-1/2" wide, and you would only use 5" of width if you cut 2-1/2" strips from each piece. Of course, you could do the pattern with the squares, but I would add the squares after every two strips, since your strips would only be 21" long to begin with. It would be the same as if you were using fat quarters to make your JRR quilt. But I would add some coordinating strips to your 60 21" strips, or your quilt top will be narrow, as Marilyn said. It would end up about 38" wide by 64".

Comment

A dessert roll is 5 x 44 and I wasn't thinking of cutting it at all but, rather, using it in the same manner as a jelly roll. That would result in a fatter strip. Just wondered if anyone had done that.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if they have changed the measurements on dessert rolls. In the past the ones I've gotten were 5.5" wide. The store now has them listed at 5" wide.

You do only get 20 strips so there wouldn't be as much variety in the quilt.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I bought a pattern for desert roll called Going my way. Have not done it yet but it looks almost as easy as JRR. Waiting for fabric to arrive . The roll I ordered has twenty 5 by 44 inch strips. I don't think I would like them sewn as JRR, the wide strips might be boring.
            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
            Hillary Clinton

Comment

ha ha... got my pre cuts mixed up....should never post before I have had my 3rd cuppa.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

All of my dessert rolls are 5.5" wide. The last one I bought was Lovely, about 6 weks ago. There were 30 5.5" by 21" strips in that roll.

As far as using them as is for a JRR quilt, it would be an experiment. I don't know of anyone who has done that.

Comment

A dessert roll is 44" long and a 'twice the charm ' is 22" long. I'm curious how a dessert roll would look also. If it comes with 20 strips, few would be duplicated.
                  Karen

Comment

Working...
                  X