charm packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charm packs

am having a trying time making a 4 patch using the 5" charm packs. When I sew two together, then measure 2.5 " and cut, they are coming out different. Do you cut from the peaks of the pinked edges or from the in between spaces? thanks so much

Re: charm packs

Cut from the peaks... Good luck!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Make sure your charm packs measure 5". Some times they're not exact. If they're not exact and you need to make a cut at 2 1/2", it will be off. Also check to make sure you are sewing a consistent 1/4" seam.

Comment

Are you measuring from the outside or from the seam? If measuring from the seam would be a quarter inch less (your seam allowance).

Jane
        Jane M (quiltnforfun)

Comment

thank you, I will make sure they are 5 ". That 1/4 " seam does make a difference

Comment

I have been working on a D9P today using the "Op Art Reflections" charm packs. I am so aggravated how out of square they are. This is my first use of a charm pack. I usually cut them out of yardage. The disappearing 9 patch is very forgiving and the fabrics together draw the eye away from the imperfections.
            "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
            :D

Comment

I have read other posts about the precut charm packs being uneven, I think cutting them yourself is the better way to go. They are so fun to shop for, but once you start working with them, the frustration sets in. I agree the D9P is forgiving and hides some imperfections.

Comment

Working...
              X