Adapting patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting patterns

I have a couple of patterns I would like to convert to use pre-cuts to best use. Any easy way way to do this? Has anyone done this ? It is so great to have a place to ask question!

Re: Adapting patterns

I don't think there will be an easy way. Can you post a picture of the patterns?

I don't use patterns. I look at the quilt and copy it. Mind you, I don't do complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheena View Post
      I don't think there will be an easy way. Can you post a picture of the patterns?

I don't use patterns. I look at the quilt and copy it. Mind you, I don't do complicated!
      Sheena... You are my kind of quilter!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I really think it depends on the pattern. Like Jenny's big star uses layer cakes, but you could do it with charms too. post some pictures
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I finally got a picture of the butterfly quilt in my album.I can't seem to get it on this thread. This is the pattern I would like to adapt to precuts.image.jpg

Comment

It kinda sorta looks like an X. Maybe you can look at the X's and O's tutorial where Jenny uses charm packs and see if you can adapt from that.

X?s and O?s Quilt Block ? Easy Quilting Tutorials | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

Comment

It looks like you could use charm squares for the wings & just snowball opposite corners. The body might be 1 1/2 " strips. The sashes & cornerstones could be done with jelly rolls.
              Just about every piece would have to be sub-cut from your pre cuts. Not sure if it would be faster than just cutting from yardage.
              Good luck, it's a cute pattern.
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Nice block, looks like 4 charm squares, snowball opposite corners on each one using a 2 1/2" square, 1/2" strip (honey bun) in middle, 2 1/2" strip (jelly roll) on the sides with 2 1/2" corner stones. Instead of honey bun and jelly roll just cut the required pieces from a charm square. Adapt the same technique to a layer cake, using 5" square (charm) for the snowballed corners but the rest would be the same.

I don't use patterns either, never was much of a book learner, now my concentration won't hold up long enough for me to figure out a written pattern. I watched Jennys tutorials when I first started (still do on occasion) now I just look at a picture and figure it out.
                Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
                  It kinda sorta looks like an X. Maybe you can look at the X's and O's tutorial where Jenny uses charm packs and see if you can adapt from that.

X?s and O?s Quilt Block ? Easy Quilting Tutorials | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials
                  This is exactly what I was going to suggest!
                  sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

It reminds me of the quilt in the April Block magazine-don't know what it's called but there's a tut for it. Not much help here-sorry!!

Comment

Working...
                    X