Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
    Thank you! Oh..... I went to the bottom, it is one up from that. I actually have that info. Not sure if I put it in my notes or if I put it on my computer. It is valuable info. But... most won't see it, hence the suggestion of a database. There are thousands of members so it is hard to check everyone out. I have a cheap Brother XR-65. But.... I could contribute that info in case someone wanted to know. But there is no place to put that info.
    You can start a group under Groups and start a database there. That way, people who want to contribute have a place to record their information. Several members have suggested that. You can do that yourself, MSQC doesn't have to get involved in collecting information or starting something new.

Comment

I have a Janome and when I went to the Shop find a machine, they allowed me to test drive every machine in the space, including the 25,000 commercial embroidery machine. They had a Janome for 350.00 I played on twice. I drove them all. Couldn't decide and went back again and drove them all again.

It's a shame your retailers are that way. The one I dealt with sure wasn't.

JoAnn's also lets you drive any of the machines they have, and they have representatives of those companies who go there to assist customers.
      Last edited by kensington; February 23, 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Then ask specifically about machines within your price range. No one here looks down on others because of the price of their sewing machine. You just may get some very good advice if you ask about machines using those guide lines.
        I don't know what machine I want. A lot of people don't. That is why I suggested a place where people can do their own personal review based on their experiences if they want and others can go there to check them all out.
        What you are asking for is basically not feasible. You would end up with hundreds of reviews and opinions to sort through. Maybe you can find that info on a different forum.
        Last edited by auntiemern; February 23, 2014, 03:07 PM.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          We've had discussions about snooty retail establishments! I don't care if you are buying a $200 machine or a $10000 machine. A customer is a customer and should be treated with respect!

Brother, Singer, Janome sell lower priced machines in big box retail stores. You won't get to test drive those. And the Pfaff, Bernina and a lot of BabyLock are only sold through dealerships, you get the price and get to test them out by talking to the dealer. Too bad you can't find a dealer that carries and prices out the full range of machines. I am lucky because my Janome carries machines from $139 to $10,000+. And you can test drive them all.
          I live in a very snotty state. I HAVE TO rely on the internet so when and if I walk into a dealership, I am well informed and not just with what the manufacturers say. I go to the Brother website and they list all the machines. What they don't or can't list is the quality of the stitches, how it sounds, vibration, etc. These are things real people might write about. I know you find out this stuff in dealerships but like I said, that is not an option. My LQS sells only Pfaff and snubbing is common in there. Their is only 1 "big" dealership and they only sell expensive models ($XXXX). There is only 1 Brother dealership and that is ($XXXX). I don't want to go to Walmart and have been considering the PC-420 but I am not sure about the quality of the stitches. You can't test drive this. I rely on other's opinions. Now I have read on the PC-420 here. When I sewed on my quilt yesterday with my cheapo machine I thought that since the PC-420 is a step above Walmart, it might have the same problem. So I started considering machines up to $800. Now I have no idea what the next step up would be from that. THIS is why databases are good. Of course it would be small at first until people started putting their own info in it but you have to start somewhere.
          Hugs,
          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I don't know what machine I want. A lot of people don't. That is why I suggested a place where people can do their own personal review based on their experiences if they want and others can go there to check them all out.
            Oh yeah, Jean is right, you need to start a group ... and let people come in and discuss what they have, what they like or don't like and why. that would be the quickest route to what you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
              I have a Janome and when I went to the Shop find a machine, they allowed me to test drive every machine in the space, including the 25,000 commercial embroidery machine. They had a Janome for 350.00 I played on twice. I drove them all. Couldn't decide and went back again and drove them all again.

It's a shame your retailers are that way. The one I dealt with sure wasn't.

JoAnn's also lets you drive any of the machines they have, and they have representatives of those companies who go there to assist customers.
              Wow. My JoAnn's only sells Singers and they are not for test driving. They are locked down up on a shelf. Even the Ginghers are locked away. I was in Walmart the other day and they had a pair of Ginghers that wasn't locked away. No one in JoAnn's will help you either. Sad. It is not a bad area but they sure make it out to be.
              Hugs,
              Joanne

Comment

If you can find a NON-SNOTTY dealership ( perhaps you might have to travel a bit), used higher end machines might be a good option for you. If you can go up to $800, you can get some good older trade in machines that would serve you well.

Comment

You can start a group under Groups and start a database there. That way, people who want to contribute have a place to record their information. Several members have suggested that. You can do that yourself, MSQC doesn't have to get involved in collecting information or starting something new.
                  I don't know how to set up a form so people don't have to spend so much time typing things out. The form makes things faster to fill out, easier to read. It is organized. I never once thought that M* would have to do anything except to create the section and form. We do the rest. If they are worried about spammers then they can set it up so no one is allowed to post outside links.
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

Comment

Wow. My JoAnn's only sells Singers and they are not for test driving. They are locked down up on a shelf. Even the Ginghers are locked away. I was in Walmart the other day and they had a pair of Ginghers that wasn't locked away. No one in JoAnn's will help you either. Sad. It is not a bad area but they sure make it out to be.
                    Our JoAnn's have about 15 machines set up to sew on... Singer, Viking all ranges of styles and prices from cheap to expensive. Quilting machines and embroidery machines. You can drive any of them.

Comment

If you can find a NON-SNOTTY dealership ( perhaps you might have to travel a bit), used higher end machines might be a good option for you. If you can go up to $800, you can get some good older trade in machines that would serve you well.
                      I was going to suggest the same thing. I have an old Pfaff that I bought used close to 20 years ago. I still use it a lot, even though I have a high end Brother machine. My Pfaff traveled with me to MSQC retreat last year.
                      K is for Karen 😊​..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Our JoAnn's have about 15 machines set up to sew on... Singer, Viking all ranges of styles and prices from cheap to expensive. Quilting machines and embroidery machines. You can drive any of them.
                        I wish ours did. They don't even have one set up. When I talked tot he Brother dealership to see if he had the PC240 or the 1500S he said they don't carry lower end machines. Walmart is lower end to me and they don't carry these. So these machines are too low end for a dealer and to high end for walmart. Sigh. He said he might be able to put me in a floor model Innov for $1300. That is WAY out of my price range. I seem to have slipped through the preverbal crack.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

Comment

I am a member of many groups and boards all related to sewing, embroidery and quilting. One thing I have found over the years is most people will post a problem sometimes 'ad nauseum'.... few people post when everything is going right. JMHO
                          sigpic

~Sew Sincerely~
                          ♥ Sheriann ♥

Comment

Originally posted by SheriannSews View Post
                            I am a member of many groups and boards all related to sewing, embroidery and quilting. One thing I have found over the years is most people will post a problem sometimes 'ad nauseum'.... few people post when everything is going right. JMHO
                            Exactly. So you take things with a grain of salt. This system work on patternreview.com because the machines are reviewed by members. Their setup is the name, price, features, review, pros, cons, bottom line. It gives it all to make informed decisions.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

Comment

Oh yeah, Jean is right, you need to start a group ... and let people come in and discuss what they have, what they like or don't like and why. that would be the quickest route to what you are asking.

I like that idea... Sort of a conversation.... People could ask about specific machined, or write about their experiences with their own machines... Personally, I love to read about sewing machines... I must have read hundreds of reviews over the last few months... Mostly just for fun...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

You can get into an Innovis for less than $1300. I have an Innovis NX450Q, and paid $800 for it on sale. Retail was $1200. You have to look around. You can get an Innovis on ebay for $800. JS
                                I wish ours did. They don't even have one set up. When I talked tot he Brother dealership to see if he had the PC240 or the 1500S he said they don't carry lower end machines. Walmart is lower end to me and they don't carry these. So these machines are too low end for a dealer and to high end for walmart. Sigh. He said he might be able to put me in a floor model Innov for $1300. That is WAY out of my price range. I seem to have slipped through the preverbal crack.
                                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X