Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request of a new section under MSQC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

    The forum is bigger than that.....M* is a fabric store. Yes it is their forum..but we the members have made this what it is, not the company per say. The membership has grown significantly in the past few months...and the more it grows...the more the members expect. I think there are ample enough categories in the forum as it is.. There are only so many modoraters to oversee what goes on here. If a site that is strictly about reviews were to be added, they would be opening themselves up to a brand new place for spammers to invade. JS...Most of us are been happy with the way things are.Ask in your post under general discussion about reviews for a specific machine you are interested in. You may get more response, than such a broad spectrum of answers.
    Originally posted by soul60s View Post
    Places that sell machines won't give negative opinions and Amazon doesn't carry everything. I don't think M* is just a fabric store. It is a community now. That is why we are here. If it was just fabrics, we wouldn't be having any of the discussions we have here. We would be like fabric.com or fatquartershop.com. M* is bigger than that.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

    Marilyn......
    sigpic

    Comment


      #17
      Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

      Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      I know you won't get the bottom line on the higher priced machines except a direct quote from a dealer. Look at SewingMachinesPlus website. If they list the machine at all, they won't quote a price. I believe I heard someone say that these high end machines may not be sold except through an authorized dealer. That's what I said before. There is so much unknown information that goes into a dealer's quote that there will be no consistency in pricing. His overhead, his price from the factory, how bad he needs the money, if he likes you as a customer and wants to keep you! ( mine likes me, I've bought 10 machines from him!), if his machine was used for a class. All these things factor in. So the MSRP on the 8900 was $4999, my dealer was offering it for $2999, and he gave me $1400 trade in on a broken machine. Will anyone else's situation be the same? Probably not.
      That is understood completely. The idea of the review is comparison. Have you seen the reviews on patternreview.com? They list prices and have a date that they bought it. I know that if someone bought something in 2002 for $XXX it might not be the same in 2013. But it is a general thing. The price is a round about price not exact. Gives the reader a range. I know when I click on a machine that is listed for $8000, I am way out of my price range so I move on. It is just reference.
      Hugs,
      Joanne

      There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

      A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
      Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

      Comment


        #18
        Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

        Well, let's see what some others think.

        Comment


          #19
          Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

          Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
          The forum is bigger than that.....M* is a fabric store. Yes it is their forum..but we the members have made this what it is, not the company per say. The membership has grown significantly in the past few months...and the more it grows...the more the members expect. I think there are ample enough categories in the forum as it is.. There are only so many modoraters to oversee what goes on here. If a site that is strictly about reviews were to be added, they would be opening themselves up to a brand new place for spammers to invade. JS...Most of us are been happy with the way things are.Ask in your post under general discussion about reviews for a specific machine you are interested in. You may get more response, than such a broad spectrum of answers.
          There is no specific machine. I am still researching but I tend to take into account the users opinions. Of course the manufacturers are going to stay how great it is. They want the sale.

          When I suggested the database I was suggesting that the topic be made and form (list of possible features) put in place but the members are the ones, if they want, to put their review, not M*. M* can't review every machine, that's silly. But the community already gives their opinion over and over on machines so why not have those opinions in one place. Under product discussions there is a mix of reviews, questions, ideas, etc. If you see patternreview.com and how they set up you'll have an idea what I was trying to explain (although not very effectively).
          Hugs,
          Joanne

          There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

          A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

          Comment


            #20
            Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

            Why don't you suggest 5-6 vital features that members could comment on that would be helpful in making a decision. I would not want to read a. Review like that one on the 8900 that lists ALL the features. I wouldn't write that up nor would I read it if I wanted to buy (yet) another sewing machine.

            Did you read my user note on machines? Was any of this information what you would seek in a review?

            http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/use...?u=10613&pp=10. Bottom of page one
            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 23, 2014, 02:26 PM.

            Comment


              #21
              Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

              I don't think it's needed. I'm a believer of going and try machines out at my shop. I'm lucky that mine is a Babylock and Viking dealer and I live on an island!. They do have trade in's for sale and I think some Singers. I bought my first Singer serger there.

              I think maybe start a group? An embroidery group was started and there is over fifty members. It stopped the clutter on the board of embroidery questions
              Last edited by Hulamoon; February 23, 2014, 02:41 PM.
              🌺 Lorie

              Comment


                #22
                Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                Why don't you suggest 5-6 vital features that members could comment on that would be helpful in making a decision. I would not want to read a. Review like that one on the 8900 that lists ALL the features. I wouldn't write that up nor would I read it if I wanted to buy (yet) another sewing machine.

                Did you read my user note on machines? Was any of this information what you would seek in a review?

                http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/use...?u=10613&pp=10. Bottom of page one
                I'm sorry. I just copied up what Janome had to give the idea what they listed. Different machines have different listings but some things are across the board such as speed (spm), needle up/down, auto or manual tension, threader, cutter, speed control, computerized/mechanical, # of stitches, drop in bobbin, how many lights. Just basic things that are on most. Things like the IDT on Pfaff wouldn't be listed because that is a specialty feature but the user can put that in the review if they wanted. I am not looking at the Janome 8900. I just used that as an example. It very well could have been a Brother.

                I went to the link you put but didn't see anything about a machine.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

                There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                Comment


                  #23
                  Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                  Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                  I'm sorry. I just copied up what Janome had to give the idea what they listed. Different machines have different listings but some things are across the board such as speed (spm), needle up/down, auto or manual tension, threader, cutter, speed control, computerized/mechanical, # of stitches, drop in bobbin, how many lights. Just basic things that are on most. Things like the IDT on Pfaff wouldn't be listed because that is a specialty feature but the user can put that in the review if they wanted. I am not looking at the Janome 8900. I just used that as an example. It very well could have been a Brother.

                  I went to the link you put but didn't see anything about a machine.
                  Scroll down to the bottom of page one. I can't highlight specific user notes.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                    Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                    Places that sell machines won't give negative opinions and Amazon doesn't carry everything. I don't think M* is just a fabric store. It is a community now. That is why we are here. If it was just fabrics, we wouldn't be having any of the discussions we have here. We would be like fabric.com or fatquartershop.com. M* is bigger than that.
                    Jenny deals with BabyLock, she advertises for them basically. She did a contest for them and those are the machines in the retreat center and that she sews on.

                    If you want product discussion, it would be best to seek it among the members here on the forum.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                      Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      I don't think it's needed. I'm a believer of going and try machines out at my shop. I'm lucky that mine is a Babylock and Viking dealer and I live on an island!. They do have trade in's for sale and I think some Singers. I bought my first Singer serger there.

                      I think maybe start a group?
                      Not everyone can test drive. I know I can't because I can't afford a $2000 machine and where I live, those are the ones you try out. I called the only Brother dealer in my state and the only ones you can test drive are the Innov. He doesn't carry anything else. I am not thinking of just myself because I am looking, but I am thinking of others too. Not everyone can walk in a sewing shop and buy. If you aren't buying, they don't want to bother.
                      Hugs,
                      Joanne

                      There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                      A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                      Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                        Originally posted by kensington View Post
                        Jenny deals with BabyLock, she advertises for them basically. She did a contest for them and those are the machines in the retreat center and that she sews on.

                        If you want product discussion, it would be best to seek it among the members here on the forum.
                        That IS what I am suggesting (seeking info from members). A section for Machine Reviews that each review is set up like a form to be filled out by M* members if they chose to. Not by companies, dealers, etc. Just members. It is just making things more efficient and offering a service of information. Jenny does so much for people besides selling fabric. I am not thinking of anyone at M* doing this, or adding to their workload, just making the form so the members here can add to it. Does that make sense?
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

                        There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                        A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                          Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                          Not everyone can test drive. I know I can't because I can't afford a $2000 machine and where I live, those are the ones you try out. I called the only Brother dealer in my state and the only ones you can test drive are the Innov. He doesn't carry anything else. I am not thinking of just myself because I am looking, but I am thinking of others too. Not everyone can walk in a sewing shop and buy. If you aren't buying, they don't want to bother.
                          We've had discussions about snooty retail establishments! I don't care if you are buying a $200 machine or a $10000 machine. A customer is a customer and should be treated with respect!

                          Brother, Singer, Janome sell lower priced machines in big box retail stores. You won't get to test drive those. And the Pfaff, Bernina and a lot of BabyLock are only sold through dealerships, you get the price and get to test them out by talking to the dealer. Too bad you can't find a dealer that carries and prices out the full range of machines. I am lucky because my Janome carries machines from $139 to $10,000+. And you can test drive them all.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                            You need to be more specific with what machine you are interested in, or the amount of $ you have to spend on one. The membership on here sews on everything from $100 Wal Mart machines to $8000 or higher machines. You can't get an accurate review unless you are more specific. We can't give you a specific review on a specific machine unless we know that you are wanting and how much you have to spend.
                            Gloria, Jenny does not advertise for Babylock, they use her as their advertisement. She endorses them. The company gave those machines to M* to be used in the retreat...so they are the ones actually advertising. That being said, If she didn't like them I doubt they would be there. They are sponsors of hers, and M*. That is the reason for the Baby Lock being given away. Sponsorship just means she agrees to use their products, therefore endorsing them.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

                            Marilyn......
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                              Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                              Scroll down to the bottom of page one. I can't highlight specific user notes.
                              Thank you! Oh..... I went to the bottom, it is one up from that. I actually have that info. Not sure if I put it in my notes or if I put it on my computer. It is valuable info. But... most won't see it, hence the suggestion of a database. There are thousands of members so it is hard to check everyone out. I have a cheap Brother XR-65. But.... I could contribute that info in case someone wanted to know. But there is no place to put that info.
                              Hugs,
                              Joanne

                              There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                              A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

                                Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                                You need to be more specific with what machine you are interested in, or the amount of $ you have to spend on one. The membership on here sews on everything from $100 Wal Mart machines to $8000 or higher machines. You can't get an accurate review unless you are more specific. We can't give you a specific review on a specific machine unless we know that you are wanting and how much you have to spend.
                                Gloria, Jenny does not advertise for Babylock, they use her as their advertisement. She endorses them. The company gave those machines to M* to be used in the retreat...so they are the ones actually advertising. That being said, If she didn't like them I doubt they would be there. They are sponsors of hers, and M*. That is the reason for the Baby Lock being given away. Sponsorship just means she agrees to use their products, therefore endorsing them.
                                I don't know what machine I want. A lot of people don't. That is why I suggested a place where people can do their own personal review based on their experiences if they want and others can go there to check them all out.
                                Hugs,
                                Joanne

                                There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                                A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X