Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request of a new section under MSQC

Hi Everyone,

I've been here on the site for 2 months, almost continuously (literally). I have read so much and learned even more. I also belong to other websites. One in particular that helps a lot and which brings me to this request.

I am on patternreview.com. A world of information for anything sewing. They have a feature that I keep going back to but I find a bit confusing at times. I am looking for specific info on machines that are good for quilting. This site is specifically for quilting. And this is where the (they really should color that icon yellow.... It's a lightbulb that is ON!), I digress. Anyhow, although there is a great vast of knowledge here, in the area of machine reviews, we are lacking the ability of organizing that knowledge.

Can we have a section titled Machine Reviews (or ... So You Want to Know About a Machine, huh?)? Right now it is easy enough to run a search if you know exactly what you are looking for ... but what pops up are all posts that a particular machine is mentioned in, not necessarily reviewed. And what if, like me, you are in the market for a new machine and don't know what you need yet? So under the topic we can have titles for Quilting, Embroidery, Sergers, Frames, etc. Then we can have subtitles for all brands (such as, Janome, Brother, Pfaff, Singer, etc). Under each subtitle we can have a form style to fill in such as, price (new), price (used), date of purchase, speed, # of stitches, needle up/down, cruise control (okay... speed control), needle threader, locking stitch, etc, etc, etc. Basically a list of all options (an n/a or blank can be left for the machines that don't have that option). Then under that can be a section where there is a personal written review by each person who posts to the review, a pros section, a cons section and a bottom line as to if they would either recommend, not recommend, or anything else they would find important.

This, I know, is a big task. But M* is growing rapidly as quilting is getting more and more popular. It is no longer just a store, although it IS one of the best online (not looking for a cookie here, just stating the obvious IMO). M* has also become a gathering place for quilters, a knowledge base, a community in and of it's own. It is the first place I think to come to for info, shopping, and guidance. I do go to other places such as patternreview.com but as wonderful as that site is, it is not predominately quilting. I have to sift through review after review of machines to find one that suits what I am looking for, and at at times can become very confusing.

Everyone here has an opinion on their machines but I have to sift through posts that aren't even reviews because the search brings up any post with the name in it. It becomes frustrating at both websites. So what if we take a version of their format for reviewing machines, and apply it here specifically for quilting machines and such?

I know Al is busy, as is everyone else working there. M* is great for people who are experienced and already have knowledge. All of the M* community people have been so helpful in sharing what they know and I am sure have answered the same questions about machines over and over (which leads to more results when running a search). But every day more and more new people are joining (like myself) who don't have all this knowledge and can become intimidated trying to find it. Maybe (and I have no clue how things are run there) since M* is a huge company for that town and getting even bigger online, Al could use more web help. He's so bogged down already. Makes for a few more jobs too.

It doesn't have to be as extensive as this: Sewing Machines & Embroidery Machinery - Sewing Machine Reviews - Singer Sewing Machine, Brother Sewing Machine, Viking Sewing Machine at PatternReview.com

But a basic idea.

Now people, don't be jumping on me for suggesting this. I know M* is doing their best and are overworked. But they are expanding and with that, there are more demands, (more fabric, more ways to pay for the magazine (guilty here), more tutorials, etc). I don't think M* realized how popular it would become.

So M*, can this become a reality?

Seems the Guild President as spoken! I am now over 500 posts!
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Request of a new section under MSQC

We all have our own opinions on brands we like or dislike. And dealers give deals based on ??? Their costs, trade ins, many unknowns, so cost comparisons might be hard to standardize. I know that new quilters might like some information on what machine to look at, but each manufacturer has dozens of models. It sounds like a big job to set up when the information is available on individual manufacturers websites.

I have all my machines listed and my comments about them in my user notes. If more people would use User Notes, others could go there and see information that is worthy of sharing. Our User notes are there already. They could become the encyclopedia of quilter's knowledge if more people would use them. Many people don't even know they exist.

So, while I think your idea is a good one, I'm not sure if we wouldn't be reinventing the wheel if we started it. And would it be of enough benefit to the members if we did? I'm not sure. Let's see what others think.

Comment

I think if you limited your search to just Product Discussion you might not get as many hits on single words. I have moved threads into their proper categories in the hopes that the search engine here will work better. Many times threads are started in whatever place a person lands and they don't realize that where they start it affects how well the search function works here. There are many reviews in Product Discussion.

I'm not sure that a new area will ever bet set up, especially for machine reviews, since that isn't part of the business of MSQC.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        We all have our own opinions on brands we like or dislike. And dealers give deals based on ??? Their costs, trade ins, many unknowns, so cost comparisons might be hard to standardize. I know that new quilters might like some information on what machine to look at, but each manufacturer has dozens of models. It sounds like a big job to set up when the information is available on individual manufacturers websites.

I have all my machines listed and my comments about them in my user notes. If more people would use User Notes, others could go there and see information that is worthy of sharing. Our User notes are there already. They could become the encyclopedia of quilter's knowledge if more people would use them. Many people don't even know they exist.

So, while I think your idea is a good one, I'm not sure if we wouldn't be reinventing the wheel if we started it. And would it be of enough benefit to the members if we did? I'm not sure. Let's see what others think.
        That would mean we would have to look at every member's user notes. There are a lot of members.

It is a good idea (database reviews) and not an original one. It is used on other sites and works. BUT, that other site is bombarded with everything from quilting to patterns, to fashion, etc. It is just a database of reviews that I am thinking of by the people here, not the companies. Real people, real reviews.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          I think if you limited your search to just Product Discussion you might not get as many hits on single words. I have moved threads into their proper categories in the hopes that the search engine here will work better. Many times threads are started in whatever place a person lands and they don't realize that where they start it affects how well the search function works here. There are many reviews in Product Discussion.

I'm not sure that a new area will ever bet set up, especially for machine reviews, since that isn't part of the business of MSQC.
          But I am sure M* never thought the business would grow so fast in internet areas. It's more of a function for the internet users. There is so much info here and it is spilling all over the forums. Product discussions are discussions, not necessarily reviews and in other areas the reviews are mixed in with other topics. The discussions themselves go from reviews to questions. There is no way you guys can filter that. That's why I suggested an area dedicated to product reviews. Created by the people here.
          Hugs,
          Joanne

Comment

Joanne, could you give us a list of features on a machine that would be useful in comparing or rating or commenting on machines? Many reply that their machine is a workhorse and they love it. I think throat/harp space is a biggie, needle up/down, thread cutter and built in walking foot are high on my list. I don't care about how many decorative stitches it has. The ability to FMQ is also a big thing. So many people FMQ on their Janome 7700 ( like Leah Day!), my 7700 wouldn't do it on a bet! So would my one bad review color someone's decision on that machine for the one bad apple machine I had?

I'm not trying to put your idea down. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to let us think this through before we request something to be added that might not be that useful.

While MSQC doesn't sell machines, we do need machines to do our quilting. So it is part of the craft for sure.

Comment

The first thing I do when someone mentions their machine or one they are considering buying is to go to the manufacturer's site and see what the machine's features are. There are so many machines available, you couldn't keep them all straight for comparison. I would urge all potential buyers to do a thorough web search before coming here on the forum to ask for advice. So many of the questions asked could be answered by a Google search. Often other forum members do the Google search and come up with the answer immediately, which the member asking could have done for themselves.

Comment

Personally, I go to Amazon.com to read reviews on things. They normally have a lot, both good and bad.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  Personally, I go to Amazon.com to read reviews on things. They normally have a lot, both good and bad.
                  I use theirs also. The good, the bad and the ugly is what you'll find.

Comment

Joanne, could you give us a list of features on a machine that would be useful in comparing or rating or commenting on machines? Many reply that their machine is a workhorse and they love it. I think throat/harp space is a biggie, needle up/down, thread cutter and built in walking foot are high on my list. I don't care about how many decorative stitches it has. The ability to FMQ is also a big thing. So many people FMQ on their Janome 7700 ( like Leah Day!), my 7700 wouldn't do it on a bet! So would my one bad review color someone's decision on that machine for the one bad apple machine I had?

I'm not trying to put your idea down. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to let us think this through before we request something to be added that might not be that useful.

While MSQC doesn't sell machines, we do need machines to do our quilting. So it is part of the craft for sure.
                    Where decorative stitches might not matter to some, to others it might. When manufacturers describe their machines under the specs, they list some common elements. For example on the Janome site they have these features. Even though all machines have different features, there can be a standard listing form across the board that we can check off what our machine has. Anything else can be in the written part of the review.

Janome 8900

Computerized Sewing Machine
                    Full rotary hook bobbin
                    free arm/ flat bed convertiable
                    opening face plate
                    Carrying handle
                    Horizontal spool pin
                    Accessory storage under the top cover and in the extension table
                    Dimensions - 519 mm x 316 mm x 230 mm
                    Weight - 12.3 kg
                    Workspace - 280 mm x 120 mm
                    Start/Stop button
                    Mas sewing speed - 1000 SPM
                    Touch panel / jog dial selection
                    LCD screen 67.2 mm x 33.6mm
                    15 languages
                    Automatic thread tension
                    Auto-declutch bobbin winder
                    7 piece feed dog
                    Drop feed dog
                    Automatic thread cutter
                    Remote thread-cutter port
                    Built-in needle threader
                    Knee-lifter
                    270 stitches including 11 buttonholes and 3 alphabets
                    One-touch replaceable needle plate
                    Maximum stitch length 5mm
                    Maximum stitch width 9mm
                    Speed control slider
                    One touch slow function
                    Needle up/down button
                    Needle default setting - down
                    Auto-lock button
                    Reverse button
                    Up/down flip design
                    Startover function
                    Favorite stitch function
                    Presser foot safety device
                    3 LED lamps
                    Multi-voltage

What the manufacturers site doesn't have is the user opinion. The pros, cons, price, bottom line.
                    Hugs,
                    Joanne

Comment

JoAnn, I suggest you search sites that sell machines to get reviews. This is not that kind of site. For every person here, you will get differing opinions on machines. M* is a fabric store...they do not sell machines..so why would they want to build a page to address a topic that does not directly affect them. I understand your frustration, but since they are not in the sewing machine business, I just think you should look for opinions and reviews in a place that is.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

I use theirs also. The good, the bad and the ugly is what you'll find.
                        I do too. They don't carry all brands though. No Pfaff, Bernina, etc. People always ask about price. This can be a round about figure and different prices are in different areas but it is a start.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

Comment

Looks like you need to do some serious research to find the machine of your dreams. You need to look at seller sites, not manufacturers.
                          Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                          Where decorative stitches might not matter to some, to others it might. When manufacturers describe their machines under the specs, they list some common elements. For example on the Janome site they have these features. Even though all machines have different features, there can be a standard listing form across the board that we can check off what our machine has. Anything else can be in the written part of the review.

Janome 8900

Computerized Sewing Machine
                          Full rotary hook bobbin
                          free arm/ flat bed convertiable
                          opening face plate
                          Carrying handle
                          Horizontal spool pin
                          Accessory storage under the top cover and in the extension table
                          Dimensions - 519 mm x 316 mm x 230 mm
                          Weight - 12.3 kg
                          Workspace - 280 mm x 120 mm
                          Start/Stop button
                          Mas sewing speed - 1000 SPM
                          Touch panel / jog dial selection
                          LCD screen 67.2 mm x 33.6mm
                          15 languages
                          Automatic thread tension
                          Auto-declutch bobbin winder
                          7 piece feed dog
                          Drop feed dog
                          Automatic thread cutter
                          Remote thread-cutter port
                          Built-in needle threader
                          Knee-lifter
                          270 stitches including 11 buttonholes and 3 alphabets
                          One-touch replaceable needle plate
                          Maximum stitch length 5mm
                          Maximum stitch width 9mm
                          Speed control slider
                          One touch slow function
                          Needle up/down button
                          Needle default setting - down
                          Auto-lock button
                          Reverse button
                          Up/down flip design
                          Startover function
                          Favorite stitch function
                          Presser foot safety device
                          3 LED lamps
                          Multi-voltage

What the manufacturers site doesn't have is the user opinion. The pros, cons, price, bottom line.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                            JoAnn, I suggest you search sites that sell machines to get reviews. This is not that kind of site. For every person here, you will get differing opinions on machines. M* is a fabric store...they do not sell machines..so why would they want to build a page to address a topic that does not directly affect them. I understand your frustration, but since they are not in the sewing machine business, I just think you should look for opinions and reviews in a place that is.
                            Places that sell machines won't give negative opinions and Amazon doesn't carry everything. I don't think M* is just a fabric store. It is a community now. That is why we are here. If it was just fabrics, we wouldn't be having any of the discussions we have here. We would be like fabric.com or fatquartershop.com. M* is bigger than that.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

Comment

I know you won't get the bottom line on the higher priced machines except a direct quote from a dealer. Look at SewingMachinesPlus website. If they list the machine at all, they won't quote a price. I believe I heard someone say that these high end machines may not be sold except through an authorized dealer. That's what I said before. There is so much unknown information that goes into a dealer's quote that there will be no consistency in pricing. His overhead, his price from the factory, how bad he needs the money, if he likes you as a customer and wants to keep you! ( mine likes me, I've bought 10 machines from him!), if his machine was used for a class. All these things factor in. So the MSRP on the 8900 was $4999, my dealer was offering it for $2999, and he gave me $1400 trade in on a broken machine. Will anyone else's situation be the same? Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                              X