Please suggest a fabric.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please suggest a fabric.

I just returned from the Paducah quilt show. While I was there I purchased an old quilt top that is a fan pattern. I am looking for fabrics to border it. I thought maybe you could suggest one. I have attached two pictures so that you can see what color I am looking for. I would like a solid turquoise that would blend with the turquoise shown in the picture. In addition, I would like a small dot or very small print in navy, a dark navy. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you. Love your websit and tutorials.
    Attached Files
    Eat Dessert First. Life is Uncertain.

Re: Please suggest a fabric.

What a beautiful quilt you found! Were you thinking of doing a double border? I think I would use the turquoise as a small border and dark navy dot as a larger outer border, but that's just my humble opinion. I always haul my quilts to the store and "audition" all my choices before I make my purchase! Hope you show us your finish to this beauty!
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I agree with Patti about the 'auditioning' process. I had some squares that my Grandmother had sent to all her friends around the country to embroider (in the 1940-50's) and when I started quilting got the nerve to make them into a quilt. The first time I bought fabric without bringing them....got home and it looked awful. Next time I brought them and a long time customer at the shop helped me find the reproduction print fabric that matched perfectly. Never would I have picked that particular one! (totally my inexperience showing) But it looked so nice once put together. In fact, it is at the long arm quilter now...will try and post when it is finished. Good luck, Irene! You found an absolutely beautiful top! You may also be able to find a reproduction print that goes nicely with it. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

I agree with Patti. Use the turquoise as a smaller border and a small navy dot as the outer border and binding. The quilt is gorgious. Such a great find.

Comment

What a gorgeous quilt top. Nice find! I also agree with Patti. Have fun with it and show us the finished quilt.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I do plan to use a small turquoise border and a larger navy dotted one if I can find it. I just thought someone might know of a fabric or a line that has the same colors/patterns that I am looking for.
            Eat Dessert First. Life is Uncertain.

Comment

Oops..wasn't sure what you were asking about. Since blues can be so different I'm afraid to offer a suggestion that might not match. I just tried to match a brown and had to drag the blocks all over to find just the right shade of brown. Good luck, it is certainly a beautiful quilt!
              Patti
              "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

The only way to find the perfect shade of blue is to take the quilt top to the fabric store with you. Then you know without a doubt that the colors are a true match.
                I see ladies all the time take their tops with them to look for matching fabrics. I've done it myself a few times, but with charm packs and jelly rolls.

(Love the quilt top...you found a great piece!!)
                ~Mary
                As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I agree! Taking it to the store to match it is the only way to be certain. If you can't find it at your local quilt/fabric shop you could mail order just a small amount to check the blend before you purchase the total yardage you need. A narrow turquoise border with a wider navy border would look very nice. Hope you find the perfect fabric. Lovely quilt top. Can't wait to see it once it's finished.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Bring it on in!! If you are close enough of course. You could always plan your summer vacation around that quilt top and OUR shop! LOL.

I will look and see what I can find. There is so much amazing fabric out there, I am sure you will find something perfect!! Great purchase, by the way! I LOVE it.

Comment

Working...
                    X