Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a better way to ship the Daily Deal for multiple daily purchases??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a better way to ship the Daily Deal for multiple daily purchases??

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post

In the marketing world the daily deal is considered a loss leader with the whole point being a person comes to the website to get the daily deal and hopefully adds a few more items to their cart. Anytime that I have ordered the daily deal, it is still cheaper with the $5 shipping than what the original price was.

Please remember that this is a small local business not a giant cooperation. Which leads me to my next point, how many of you would tell Walmart or Target, I see you offer a special each day but I want to get a week's worth of daily specials in just one day. They would tell you no way.

The Missouri Star has worked really hard to build an excellent business and awesome customer service.
    Kudos to Missouri Star for having such strong business minded folks working there. It's family owned by a family who has worked really hard to bring their town out of hard times.
    sigpicMISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Hey guys! Let me shed a little bit of light on the subject for you (seems there's quite a bit of discussion going on here).

So the original question is regarding holding orders throughout the week and shipping all at once in order to save on shipping. Some very good points have been brought up on both sides.

First, the idea that "there is software to do this" is true. There is not software that can do it for us though. The problem with a site like Missouri Star is it is actually much more complicated than it looks. We have competitors that have been bought by amazon, 99% of the time when amazon buys a company, they put their fulfillment solutions in place because they're amazing, but with the fabric company, they've had to leave them alone. The reason is fabric is hard. It's hard to warehouse, it's hard to fulfill, it's just hard. 1 bolt of fabric is either 15 yards, 30 half yards, 60 quarter yards and so on, so how do you inventory and plan for that. Beyond that, with us specifically, we have the daily deal, that expires at midnight and has a certain quantity, daily specials, weekly specials, sale items, free items with purchase of x and so on. This is surprisingly complicated to manage in an ecommerce cart, in fact, I'm the only one like it that I know of. So what that means is that the traditional inventory solutions out there don't work with us. They can't handle our sales velocity, it gets crazy sometimes over here! So to do this I would have to build it myself. And we have a few things along these lines we're toying with, but we have way cooler stuff coming out in the next several months, so we haven't put this in our pipeline.

The bigger issue here is the cost. We don't get any special deals on our product, we pay the same as all the other stores. The intent of the daily deal specifically is to drive sales for us. The benefits of the daily deal beyond that are that new quilters get to test the waters, and our loyal customers get great deals. But we often price the product below our cost. Think of that, we lose money on some of the deals, it's smart for us because we've found that quilters will share a great deal. We could either spend money advertising, or we do great deals and you guys advertise for us. It's a win win, so we keep doing it.

We don't want to save orders all week because then the losses we incur on daily deals would compound. We would lose more money than we'd make (that order would cost more and more to ship the longer we held it and you would still pay that one shipping fee). Right now, when you order them daily, we rarely lose on the shipping, and hopefully you feel like you could buy something else on your order as well since you've already paid for the shipping. We don't want to take that motivation away from our customers.

So while it might save some money for you, the build time is hard for me to justify, and the financials just don't work out in the long run.

Does that answer your questions? Let me know if you want to dive deeper on the technical side of the site, or on the financials, like Karen said, we've been asked this a lot, so we think it over a lot.

Al
      (Sarah's baby brother)

Comment

I like things as they are, it works for me. Of course we all look for deals and more deals, but I know that for me, I have saved a lot by going through Missouri Star and will be sticking around. Thanks for the info, we like hearing from you too and like that you hear us
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Love the words "right from the horses mouth"! Thanks, Al, for all you do for us! And we love those Daily Deals, even with $5 shipping, so keep them coming our way! We support you and MSQC in everything that you do for your customers.

Comment

I have enjoyed everyone's take on this subject and have liked reading all the thoughts and ideas. As for me, I feel it's a good system as is and I'm quite happy with it. I see it as a win/win for all - just as it is. But asking questions and getting a discussion going isn't a bad thing.

Thanks to Al for coming along and putting pretty much the final word on it and giving us the MSQC perspective. The Doan's are good people and since finding MSQC a few years ago, it's pretty much the only place I shop for fabric and quilting supplies. I love that the majority of my quilting dollars goes to such a great group of people!
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I haven't read all the posts... but coming fro a retail world here is how I think it may work and the mission of M*... First: The DD , I think is either something they are overstocked on, or more likely something that is offered from the buyer at a greatly reduced cost if they buy in very large quantity... it allows them to sell cheaper and creates shopping for more items thus creating "business".... if you factor in the price of gas and the convenience,, we are saving,, think about the extra one spends being in the "storefront".. Second:.. I truly feel that M* is dedicated to creating jobs for the people of Hamilton, both young and old which in my mind is paramount to what we need in this country.. Just saying....
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Since this question seems to come up over and over from time to time, I saved this in my user notes so we can use Al's response as an answer to those who would like to see changes in the store's procedures for shipping the Daily Deals. Seems that they have thought about it a lot and revisit it often, and what is now in place is the best way for them to proceed.

Comment

It is very fun to fantasize about future online shopping possibilities!

And I think it is very exciting that a company like M* is thinking outside the box to do things differently from the GIANTS like Amazon.

I sure hope they continue to create their own ways, it would be a shame if Amazon completely took over the online shopping world.
                  Cathryn

Comment

Amen Jean and Cathryn!!!
                    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Its possible that on a simple charm pack that M* makes a very small profit with the $5 shipping charges. Instead of saving all the DD and shipping in one day; maybe just give some extra QUILTERS CASH for X amount of purchases in a certain amount of time. For example if a customer purchase 3 DD in a week then at the end of the month the customer would get a *BONUS deposit of 500 Quilters Cash deposited to use at a later date?? Hope that makes sense, its just an idea!

Comment

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
                        We don't want to save orders all week because then the losses we incur on daily deals would compound. We would lose more money than we'd make (that order would cost more and more to ship the longer we held it and you would still pay that one shipping fee). Right now, when you order them daily, we rarely lose on the shipping, and hopefully you feel like you could buy something else on your order as well since you've already paid for the shipping. We don't want to take that motivation away from our customers.

So while it might save some money for you, the build time is hard for me to justify, and the financials just don't work out in the long run.

Does that answer your questions?
                        Thanks, Al. I'm glad Missouri * has found its unique niche ... and offers the Daily Deal. Please realize everyone LOVES a bargain; that's human nature. Don't see where your system is broken. I have gone through the limited purchases I've made and even including the $5 shipping to the deal price most of the deals are below regular price ... to me it's like getting free shipping AND getting a discount on top of it! And if I decide to throw something else in the cart THAT shipping has already been covered by the DD discount.

I could imagine that if any business recommendations were made to any other business it would be responded to in a month ... or simply marked as spam. Thanks for the refreshingly honest and quick response!

Comment

Please don't ever feel bashful about throwing out ideas for the business. Most of what I'm working on now has all come from this forum's ideas and behaviors. It's pretty sweet to have customers that are innovating with us.

And @tfb - we're way ahead of you on that one, we do the bonus quilters cash on daily deals all the time, you'll see it go as high as 500 bonus pretty often.

But seriously, if you think of a great way to drive sales or increase our reach, shout it out at me, we want to be better, these conversations are what help make us better!

Comment

Interesting discussion/s. I have a degree in business but never used it so enjoyed the going back and forth on why and why nots.

Every year shopping gets easier when using the internet. I especially like the search functions. A lot easier and cheaper than driving from store to store and having to physically search a store.

And now I've been seeing commercials where you can use your phone at the mall and find out who has a certain item at the best price. That seems a little to much privacy invasion/stalking to me but some really like it.

I look at the daily deal every day to see if it's something I just have to have! LOL The only problem I have is I buy the DD first then later try to figure out what to use it in!

MSQC also does something that Betty Crocker does - free tutorials on how to use the fabrics just like Betty Crocker gives out free recipes. How many people bought Bisquik because of wanting to try the recipes on the box? How many people buy the same fabric that is used in the tutorials?

This is a new company that is expanding at a fast rate and constantly improving. Looking forward to seeing the changes that Al is talking about.

Nancy/SpyderQuilt - you sound like my DH. He designs web pages for the company he works for.
                            Vonnie

Comment

What they say is true--" it takes a village..." Thanks for being open to suggestions and considering ideas from the trenches! Of course, as a proactive business owner, this is the way to go!

Comment

Thank you Al for your detailed response. I more than appreciate it.

You said; "So to do this I would have to build it myself." Gosh I get goose bumps just thinking of the idea of it! I love building something from the ground up, when every step of the process are original ideas.

Original thinking is almost gone nowadays. We live in a world of copy cats and no one has ideas of their own. You said, "This is surprisingly complicated to manage in an ecommerce cart, in fact, I'm the only one like it that I know of." Epic. Epic. YOUR own original ideas! That's really something to be very proud of.

If you ever want a person to chew on erasers with and talk code and modules and semicolons, and servers, and eblast programs with, please, get in touch with me. Just think it up, it's code, sweat and a lot of coffee... anything is possible.

You are doing a elegant job of it. <bows>

Nancy

PS.. thank you again Al. I admire you greatly.

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
                                Hey guys! Let me shed a little bit of light on the subject for you (seems there's quite a bit of discussion going on here).

So the original question is regarding holding orders throughout the week and shipping all at once in order to save on shipping. Some very good points have been brought up on both sides.

First, the idea that "there is software to do this" is true. There is not software that can do it for us though. The problem with a site like Missouri Star is it is actually much more complicated than it looks. We have competitors that have been bought by amazon, 99% of the time when amazon buys a company, they put their fulfillment solutions in place because they're amazing, but with the fabric company, they've had to leave them alone. The reason is fabric is hard. It's hard to warehouse, it's hard to fulfill, it's just hard. 1 bolt of fabric is either 15 yards, 30 half yards, 60 quarter yards and so on, so how do you inventory and plan for that. Beyond that, with us specifically, we have the daily deal, that expires at midnight and has a certain quantity, daily specials, weekly specials, sale items, free items with purchase of x and so on. This is surprisingly complicated to manage in an ecommerce cart, in fact, I'm the only one like it that I know of. So what that means is that the traditional inventory solutions out there don't work with us. They can't handle our sales velocity, it gets crazy sometimes over here! So to do this I would have to build it myself. And we have a few things along these lines we're toying with, but we have way cooler stuff coming out in the next several months, so we haven't put this in our pipeline.

The bigger issue here is the cost. We don't get any special deals on our product, we pay the same as all the other stores. The intent of the daily deal specifically is to drive sales for us. The benefits of the daily deal beyond that are that new quilters get to test the waters, and our loyal customers get great deals. But we often price the product below our cost. Think of that, we lose money on some of the deals, it's smart for us because we've found that quilters will share a great deal. We could either spend money advertising, or we do great deals and you guys advertise for us. It's a win win, so we keep doing it.

Does that answer your questions? Let me know if you want to dive deeper on the technical side of the site, or on the financials, like Karen said, we've been asked this a lot, so we think it over a lot.

Al
                                (Sarah's baby brother)

Comment

Working...
                                X