Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border and Backing fabric

Hello all

I am in a bit of a confused state here. I am trying to put that last border piece on my quilt and the backing but I think I just messed myself up. First off my quilt is the zippity doo dah jelly roll line. So of course there is alot of pattern here and alot of red and blue....which is why I chose it. But I couldn't find anything here at the fabric store that I liked to go with it. So finally I found a red that has kind of a smoke shading going through it. Now I couldn't find a blue like that which would have been perfect. All I could find was a broadcloth. So I bought them and when I went home I saw how THIN the broadcloth was I think I made a huge mistake. Should I keep looking for something else? I think the broadcloth is too thin to stand up to all that quilting and then all the use later on. This is for my niece for christmas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Always Maggie

Re: Border and Backing fabric

broadcloth is VERY THIN!! I would never use it in a quilt...a wall hanging maybe...but not a quilt that was going to be used and loved on. If you are wanting to use a solid color I suggest a Kona Cotton...

your quilt sounds lovely and I can't wait to see it!!
    Michele

Comment

WE have a couple of zippity doo dah fabrics here in our shop.....We have the really cute floral one and one with stars. I think the floral would be adorable as backing. If you aren't finding what you want online, give me a call....I will help you as much as I can!

(816) 583 7722

Good luck~ I am sure you are NOT as confused as you think!

Comment

Thanks for your answers

You just helped confirm what I already thought about it being too thin. So I went to another location here and found some different quilting cottons for the border and backing. I found a blue that was kinda like the red I already bought, has blue and kinda black smoke through it, and for the backing I found a terrific red that is kinda like a paisley print. You will see soon I hope. I had to wash the red cause I was scared it would bleed too much.

Thanks again all for the help

Always Maggie

Comment

Maggie,
          When you wash your reds, add a cup of white vinegar to your rinse. I have been told that this will help set the dyes in the fabric from future running, and it works as a fabric softener too. No, your laundry does not smell like pickles afterwards.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I already washed it and actually the quilt is done so I will remember it for the next time.

Kids love pickles so they might enjoy the vinegar smell LOL. Hey maybe it would keep the cats off of the quilts too

Always Maggie

Comment

Working...
            X