mat problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mat problem

Hello Ladies. I ordered a mat and when i got it here,it has a smell to it that i cant get rid off. Any help to remove this odor off of the mat?

Re: mat problem

I recently purchased a rotating mat and it had the same problem. I have just left it sit out in the room and the smell has finally gone away. Does anyone else have an idea on getting rid of the smell?
    Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I don't think there is anything you can do. When I bought a new mat I tried washing it in the bathtub with dishwashing liquid. I even let it soak for awhile. I left it outside on my patio to "air" for a week also. This decreased the smell ever so slightly. I think it just has to wear off which it eventually does. But it does smell in the meantime!
      See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

That seems to be a major complaint on anything made of 'man-made' materials. Even my sewing machine, which was made in Europe, had a horrendous smell. Airing out - outside if possible - will eventually get rid of the odor. I don't know if we really get rid of the odor or just eventually it become part of us - we get used to it.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Try wiping it down with vinegar and water. That works for a lot of things.........might help.
          Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

From FAQ on OLFA site:
            How do I reduce the strong plastic smell from my new rotary mat?
            Due to production and distribution, a new OLFA rotary mat can emit an odorous smell that some people are sensitive too. To overcome this smell, we suggest that the mat be wiped down with a solution of equal parts lukewarm water and white vinegar, then let it set for five minutes. Afterwards, rinse off the mat and towel dry. Repeat as needed.
            Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

wish I had known that a couple years ago! I bought a big mat that smelled too. I hung it in the stairway to the attic and only used it when I had to. The smell eventually left but it seemed to last forever!
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Makes me wonder what the heck we're inhaling. Hopefully, it's not toxic. I've had my mats for quite some time and I don't remember that being a problem. If I get one that does smell I will certainly put it outside until it goes away. I worry sometimes about the stuff we are exposed to. I was watching Eleanor Burns and her son building a design board. They were spraying tons of glue on the board and I was wondering if they were dizzy from all the fumes when they were done! Not a job to be doing indoors which is where they were building the board.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

It just seems to be on certain ones, at least in my experience. My smelly mat was a 24x36 grey one, Fiskars. My DD had one just like it- no odor at all. She bought hers a couple years before I replaced mine so maybe they've changed something? The smaller Fiskar mat I have has been fine.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I had a thought this morning, well actually more than one! haha!!! I wonder if putting the mat in a large plastic garbage bag, and adding 20 or 30 charcoal briquettes and then sealing the bag for a week or so would do the trick? We did this once to an old refrigerator. Once it had been cleaned out, it still had a smell. We filled a tray with a 10# bag of charcoal and it worked great. You'd have to put paper towels on the mat to keep the charcoal dust from transferring to the mat. I feel like buying a mat just to try it! lol.
                    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X