Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7" Pinwheel block

Hi Ladies

I l am looking for the cutting instructions to make a 7" pinwheel quilt block. I would prefe to cut squares and then sew down either side of the cross line.

the quesstion is how big do I cut the squares?

Kind regards

Melinda

Re: 7" Pinwheel block

I found the measurements for even sized blocks, but not odd sized blocks.

*Sew with different square or grid sizes to produce a variety of pinwheel block sizes; two light squares and two darks per block. Block sizes are finished sizes.

1-7/8" squares produce 2" miniature blocks
    2-7/8" squares produce 4" miniature blocks
    3-7/8" squares produce 6" small blocks
    4-7/8" squares produce 8" blocks
    5-7/8" squares produce 10" blocks
    6-7/8" squared produce 12" blocks
    7-7/8" squares produce 14" blocks
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I use this method to calculate what I need:

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I love this method....but it only calculates for the half square triangle when its done. I think Melmey is looking for a method to make a full 7 inch pinwheel (would be 4 HST in total).

I could be wrong...I usually am! LOL

I am going to bookmark the page you suggested bakermom and refer back to it often!! Thanks!!
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I wasn't really sure either but figured more info couldn't hurt! hope it helps you too.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

That info looks great ladies! I agree with them if those measurements are accurate I believe it puts you at 4 3/8" squares to get the 7" block. Haven't tried it but I'd err on the side of a little large and trim it Good Luck!
            To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Thanks to all the ladies with their advise, I will make up a trial block with the measurements and see.

Kind regards

MM

Comment

I prefer to make my pinwheels the way Jenny shows in her tutorials by sewing 1/4" around a square and cutting it up. I'd have to find the tutorial. I'm not sure of the measurements but I'd check it out. It's really easy and not as much sewing.
                Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
                "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

If you choose to change how you do it and do the above. (What llm161 suggests.) then cutting two 5 7/8 blocks and sewing around then cutting into four will give you a 7" pinwheel block when you sew the 4 together. see THIS cutting chart from the blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X