Fat quarter ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat quarter ideas

Hello ladies. I am a quilting newbie. I started a year ago with a dresden plate. Everyone said it was the hardest to start with and that i was insane. I found it very simple. And didn't know what the fuss was all about. I want to do something easy, simple, probably to where you'll laugh at me. But I have 31 fat quarters. 13 of then are duplicate. I want to make a queen size quilt that is large pieces. Strips, squares and rectangles. They are all in vintage 30's/40's style small prints. I do not want a fancy border and I am even fine with tying it instead of quilting it. Can you give me any ideas for layouts/styles and possibly pictoral ideas in a message attachment or email? [email protected] I am looking forward to all suggestions.

Re: Fat quarter ideas

I would do either Hip to be Square pattern or Turning 20 again pattern
    :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Love the Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty again patterns!! I also love the Short Stack pattern (uses 14 FQ's...but I like to use 7 fabrics, 2 of each)

Lots if patterns here:
      http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...endly_ss0.html

This one is on my to-do list!!
      http://www.fatquartershop.com/Free-Q...adot-Quilt.asp
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Does anyone have a link for classic Turning Twenty quilt pattern? I've googled and binged...just can't find it. Thanks for your help!

turning 20.jpg
        Last edited by Beach Cottage Quilter; September 20, 2011, 11:14 PM.
        Happy Quilting,
        Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice! Philippians 4:3
        Link: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
        Link:I Will PRAISE Him!

Comment

Originally posted by Beach Cottage Quilter View Post
          Does anyone have a link for classic Turning Twenty quilt pattern? I've googled and binged...just can't find it. Thanks for your help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8855[/ATTACH]
          Is this what you are talking about? Jenny calls it Double Slice Layer Cake. If not, I think it's pretty close to it and looks easy to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4

You could cut your fat quarters into 10 inch squares (or whatever size you want) and use the technique used in this tutorial.
          Last edited by bec; September 20, 2011, 11:41 PM.
          Bec

Comment

Originally posted by bec View Post
            Is this what you are talking about? Jenny calls it Double Slice Layer Cake. If not, I think it's pretty close to it and looks easy to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4

You could cut your fat quarters into 10 inch squares (or whatever size you want) and use the technique used in this tutorial.
            Thanks Bec...I was thinking this tutorial would work too but, still wondered if anyone out there had a pattern or what size block the Turning Twenty quilt has...
            Happy Quilting,

Comment

Maybe this will help?
              http://www.ehow.com/how_7172292_make...ilt-block.html
              It uses a 10 1/2 x 10 1/2 square, a 7 1/2 x 10 1/2 rectangle, & a 7 1/2 x 17 rectangle to make a 17x17 inch block
              This requires 20 fat quarters to make the top (20 blocks, each 16x16 finished)
              Last edited by jingleme; September 22, 2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Jingleme got there b4 me, but hope a double explanation helps. Granny

The original "turning twenty" uses 20 fat quarters.. Block size are: 10.5 x 10.5. 7.5 x 10.5 & 7.5 x 17. That is a square and 2 rectangles form just one block. I think the pattern used 1/2 inch seams...thus your finished block should measure 17 inches. The choice of fabrics is the key to getting that "special" look to each quilt. 4 =68 inches- blocks across and 5 = 82 inches- blocks down should make a nice twin size covering. (esp when you add your border & binding)
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
                  Jingleme got there b4 me, but hope a double explanation helps. Granny

The original "turning twenty" uses 20 fat quarters.. Block size are: 10.5 x 10.5. 7.5 x 10.5 & 7.5 x 17. That is a square and 2 rectangles form just one block. I think the pattern used 1/2 inch seams...thus your finished block should measure 17 inches. The choice of fabrics is the key to getting that "special" look to each quilt. 4 =68 inches- blocks across and 5 = 82 inches- blocks down should make a nice twin size covering. (esp when you add your border & binding)
                  Thanks Jingleme and Granny Judy! Have a Great day!
                  Happy Quilting,

Comment

Working...
                  X