large quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

large quilts

does anyone have any tips on how I quilt a double bed sized quilt in an ordinary sized machine. the bulk is very unmanageable, and driving me mad. Any tips please???

Re: large quilts

Yes, it's cumbersome, but mostly just in the center where one begins. For me, it gets easier as the quilt shifts from right to left of the needle. I've found that if I go slow and take lots of breaks I don't get so frustrated. Once I get half done, I turn the quilt in the other direction and work from center out again. The professionals say not to roll the quilt but just puddle it to the right of the needle. That does seem to make it easier to handle. I do most of my quilting with my embroidery machine so rolling works best for that application. I really need to work on a small project to practice free-motion quilting but I just don't want to spend the time on that right now. U-tube demonstrators make it look so easy. If only it was as easy as it looks.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

here is a thread where I had asked also. I got the book they are talking about but haven't tried it yet http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?2466
      Patrice

Comment

//thanks rebecca. I find free motion quilting fun, but it does take practice. Guess I will just have to puddle along. Hope you are enjoying London.

Comment

thanks Patrice. Will check it out

Comment

Working...
          X