The Daily Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Daily Deal

I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the Daily Deal. Not just the deal itself, but the write-up! So many fascinating things I have learned all done with humor. Hee, hee. Today especially, as I was living in Buffalo during The Blizzard of 1977! Those pictures are not an exaggeration.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Re: The Daily Deal

Originally posted by MarianneK View Post
    I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the Daily Deal. Not just the deal itself, but the write-up! So many fascinating things I have learned all done with humor. Hee, hee. Today especially, as I was living in Buffalo during The Blizzard of 1977! Those pictures are not an exaggeration.
    Marianne - you sure were reading my mind this morning. Every time I check the Daily Deal I want to comment on the cute tidbits and stories. I wasn't in Buffalo in 1977, but I was in Fairport, NY - just East of Rochester. Our daughter had gone to spend the night with a school friend and we didn't see her for four days . . . nothing was moving.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I remember that storm! We were socked in for 4 days before the plows could get to us. The snow banks were high before the plowing. You should have seen them after! And my husband had to force his way home from Syracuse. It took him 7 hours to come home. The Thruway was shut down so he had to come the back way down Rtes. 5 & 20. He called every time he got near a phone to tell me where he was. There were no hotels that had a room to spare. When he got home at 12:30 AM he told me his story. It seems something was wrong with the car. His electrical system kept turning the lights out. He said when he hit Geneva, NY he realized he was literally plowing the snow with his car and the lights going off was simply the snow burying his headlights so he was traveling in the dark. Once he hit Geneva it only took an hour to get home. A ride that normally took 20 minutes. The next morning you couldn't even see the car, it was buried.
      My kids thought the storm was great. Joey got a week off of school and John had his brother to play in the snow with. We had tunnels of snow and snow caves all over the yard. LOL Even the dog had fun helping to tunnel under the snow. And the boys had dad to help them too.
      By the time Joe got home I was a nervous wreak! I was so sure the car would break down and he would get stranded in the snow without shelter. What a storm.
      The next big one in (1993) I think, I was stranded in the Pittsburgh airport for 12 hours. I was the last plane out to Knoxville Tennessee. I should have landed at 2pm and instead landed at 3 am. They only had 18 inches of snow but it totally shut down the city. They had pickup trucks with snow plows trying to clear the runway.lol When they finally let us land they let us know that Pittsburgh was closed and it stayed that way for 4 days. I just missed sleeping on the floor for 4 days. whew, I got lucky. The day I went back Knoxville got hit with 14 more inches and was shut down again. That was the "Storm of the Century". We haven't had a good storm since. Buffalo has, Rochester and Syracuse have but it just goes right around us. We get a foot and it quits. Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Yes it was something alright! I had to climb out of our dining room window to get outside as it was the only opening to the house not covered in snow. I was so scared by myself as my husband was stuck at work for 4 days. We had a large picture window in the living room and I thought for sure the wind was going to blow it in. But it held. I remember a woman on our street went into labor and she had to be brought to the hospital on a snowmobile. It was a sight once the roads were plowed. It was like driving through these pure white tunnels with walls that stretched to the sky! My husband got a different job and we ended up moving from the area in September
        See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

how well I remember that storm! didn't live in buffalo(had family that did) but we did have drifts as high as the electric lines. we lived on a state rd. that was totally blocked for days. eventually one lane was cleared, you had to be so careful, it was like driving thru a tunnel. One poor man from our area went off the road in his semi and was stuck for a week before he was found.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I remember a woman on our street went into labor and she had to be brought to the hospital on a snowmobile.
            The snowmobile part got me - I have a friend whose daughter was a travel/tour conductor and she wound up in Alaska, met and fell in move with this great guy, and decided to stay there and get married. As the mother of the bride told me - "The bride's mother wore a pink and white thermal-lined snowsuit. The wedding party was flown in by helicopter and each individual lowered to a waiting snowmobile which took them to the top of a snow-covered peak where vows were exchanged."

Actual temperature for that wedding on a mountain peak? -37 degrees. The bride was radiant with her flushed cheeks. And she moved into a cabin in the mountains with NO running water (read NO INDOOR PLUMBING) . . . and that, my friends, HAS to be true love.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I really got a kick out of the "Bloopers in the Sunday Church bulletin." I laughed so hard at a few I had tears in my eyes. Thanks for the laughs!!!
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Phew! I remember that blizzard too. We were in Cleveland, OH. I was pregnant with firstborn. On my way home from work my car did a donut on a MAJOR 6 lane highway - landed in a snowbank. Thankfully there were not many nuts on the road (just ONE lol).

Comment

Working...
                X