Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quilt as you go hexagon project gone Awry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt as you go hexagon project gone Awry!

I bought a lot of fabric, a ton of pre-cut hexie batting, the Daisy and Grace acrylic template and then I spent over 30 hours cutting, pinning, pressing and sewing 1/3 of the hexagons that I need for this massive project. The problem that I have is that when I went to sew them together in the pattern they didn't fit! The lengths of the sides of the hexies vary drastically. Some up to 1/3 of an inch. How do I make the sides of all the hexagons the exact same length? I have watched the tutorial video at least 20 times. This is my first quilting project and I chose it because it looked simple enough to that even I as a very inexperienced sewer could do it. Now I have a huge pile of hexagons that I have to unpick and attempt again. Please help!

Good morning and welcome! My template is a different brand, so I'm not familiar with yours. I watched Jenny's tutorial and hand sewed mine and they turned out well. Maybe since you are a beginner the accuracy of the cutting and stitching was off? Maybe the fabric got stretched? This is normal and you will get better with practice! Hang in there! Maybe check the precut batting hexis to see if they are accurate on all sides? I'm sure someone with more experience than me will answer as well. Do you have a picture? 30 hours is a lot of time. That's disappointing for sure. Good luck!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• whitiger@gmail.com
      [email protected] commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Some of the hexagons were very weirdly cut. I worked really hard to make my cuts straight and even. I will add pictures down below. My problem is making the folds even in length and sometimes the folds bow. I don't know how that happens.

will your template fit exactly over your hex's? if so, lay the template over them and trim as necessary. unless they are smaller than required of course. just take your time. i have a tub full of individual hex's. with backing folded over edges. I intend to zig zag them together one of these days. Good luck. maybe starch fabrics next time....Framed hexagons is what mine are called.
    http://www.raspberryspool.com/quilt-...ial-hexyalong/
    i have batting in mine.
    another good site https://www.daisyandgrace.co.uk/blog...ou-go-hexagons
    Last edited by nativetexan; September 22, 2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at your first link and oh my gosh I have that Hex & more ruler! i bought it to make the Northern lights quilt. I put them in the same zip-lock and forgot all about it. I think I might try and make a hexi and see if I get addicted like people seem to be. lol

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so addicted! Lol. It's great to do while watching shows with hubby. I like hand sewing as well as machine.

• whitiger@gmail.com
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That is exactly what I am trying to do except I didn't want the hex's framed. So I used the back fabric as the smaller hexagon. I will post pictures below.

I hadn't watched that video because hexi's usually involve hand sewing. i see now that the girls did it by machine. Did you try turning them so sides match? The only other thing i can think to do is buy a smaller size set and save what you can with out unpicking. But then you would have to cut more backgrounds. humm

https://www.daisyandgrace.co.uk/collections/templates
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Still easier and probably time saving than all that picking. Thats what I would do...cut them smaller.

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh those templates look nice. I've never used pre-cut batting for hex's. saw some on this MSQ site but they looked wonky to me. I wondered if they were cut well so never bought them.

• whitiger@gmail.com
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I have tried rotating them to match the sides but some of them are vastly different. Pictures coming below.

One picture is of the row of hexagons sewn together before opening it up. The "pocket" as my husband called it was opening it after sewing the two rows together.
    The other three pictures show the discrepancies in the edges. I don't know why some of the edges bow and I don't know why some edges are so much shorter or longer than others. How do I make my folds the same length?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your fall fabric choices!

here is an old top I am working on now. all done with Y seams like yours. I tend to make half hex's now. they are much easier to sew in straight rows. were you sewing with the template inside the hex's? looks like it.
    http://blog.brothersews.com/quilting...readed-y-seam/
    https://quiltnotes.com/learning-center/y-seams/
    here is one to drool over-Geta's site https://www.getasquiltingstudio.com/how-to-sew-y-seams
    hexagon top.jpg
    Last edited by nativetexan; September 24, 2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you machine sew those together? Pretty colours!

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      me? yes I did them by machine. fun too! kidding. but it worked.

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Geta's site! I bought some bag patterns way back in 2014. I only have the date because they are saved in my email files. Beautiful work! Her site used to be called Geta Grama.
      Last edited by Hulamoon; September 27, 2020, 02:38 PM.

The quilt as you go patterns I’ve seen always had squares or strips used in the pattern. Hexagon patterns doesn’t seem like it would be a good choice for quilt as you go because of the shape.

Comment

Yes, Geta is in a forum i can't log into anymore. they change it all the time and the last time i gave up. i can still read and look at photos, so that's OK. She does wonderful work though! Wish I could too.

Comment

I have been using the Daisy & Gracie template by MSQC. I have been sewing by hand and have made over 100 of them. It is really important to cut accurately, and then the pressing of the fold-over must be consistent. I think doing these by machine would be trickier. That's why I thought I would try this by hand. So far so good. While I haven't assembled them together yet, I have checked along the way and they are pretty much the same size.

Its a fun project and I'm certain you will find a way to make them fit and play nice together. I know that one way to sew hexagons together is to find the center and add all around so it makes a flower. You make many of them and then add together. Does that make sense?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Grandmother's Flower Garden would be the floral one. love that too!
          just in case you still need help=i did this sewing machine cover with triangles added to upper right and lower left of hexagons. or add corner triangles to make the hex's a square block.
          https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...6-1844b84fa574
          hand quilting
          https://www.instructables.com/id/hexagon-piecing-tutorial/
          Machine cover.JPG
          Last edited by nativetexan; September 30, 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X