Deconstructed Pinwheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deconstructed Pinwheels

My first post! I am attempting to make the above quilt, using Moda Shimo fabrics as recommended by Jenny. but I am having heaps of troubles. More to my inexperience rather than anything else I think. I find the fabrics very hard to sew with and find they are quite stretchy and throw my seams out. I am also having trouble lining my centre seams up to cut the 2 and one eighth strips and squares. I am meticulous with my cutting and seem to run into problems with the diagonal cuts. All in all I am one extremely quilter at present. Also when using the 10" layer cake I find some of the white squares and Shimo squares are not the same size. Is it necessary to trim the bigger squares to measure 10"? Hope Y'all are staying safe over there in Missouri.

Aloha! I think most are going to say to spray starch before you cut for the stretch. And then yes, find your smallest square and cut them all that size. It doesn't really matter the size, but to be consistent.

Members usually answer in this section for M*, so next time just ask in quilting questions, more people will see it. Good luck and welcome!

🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. I have not made that pattern, but I've made Disappearing 9 Patches & the Disappearing Pinwheel. First let me say that not all 10" pre-cut squares are created equal. While they are convenient to use, sometimes they all don't measure the same size. It's always wise to check the squares before starting a project. It's also important to be consistent with stitching your 1/4" seam allowance. It can be a bit tricky when cutting the large block into 9 smaller ones. Make sure they all measure the same size before sewing them back together. It's important to be careful to not stretch the sides of the blocks because of the bias. I don't starch mine, but I know others do. When you have your finished blocks reassembled, square up each block as you go. They all should measure the same size. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Rob. When working with bias- those diagonal cuts the biggest thing is not to pull. Starch will help a whole lot!

I use a quarter inch foot to help keep my seam consistent, you could also use a magnetic guide or a friend of mine takes a post it pad and tapes it down for the perfect 1/4" seam guide.

As Lori and Joy said, find your smallest block and square up all of the block to that size.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome to the form, great advice from some of the best on our forum!!!

Comment

• RobTas
            RobTas commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for all the comments, I will take note of them all and hopefully learn from them.
        Working...
        X