Playful Pinwheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playful Pinwheels

I am looking for the video tutorial for the Playful Pinwheels quilt pattern that is in the Quilting Quickly book from 2014. The article does reference a video but when you type in the address you just get an error code. I tried looking at the 176 pages of questions on this forum to no avail. There were plenty of questions about pinwheel patterns but not this one. I was trying to figure out if I am supposed to square up the HST's before sewing them together to make the pinwheel or if I square them up after I sew them into a pinwheel. Also, if I wait to square them up after I make a pinwheel what size should they be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this helps the address for the video is: www.FonsandPorter.com/Playpin

Hi there! Welcome from Sunny Florida.

I was looking at the picture on the Quilting Daily site, https://www.quiltingdaily.com/produc...tern-download/

I would square up the half square triangles, then check the blocks to make sure the pinwheel blocks are the same size. They might have to be trimmed to the smallest block size.

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• LaRua
      LaRua commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I will try to square up the HST's first, but to what size? The sashing between the pinwheels is cut to measure 2 1/2 x 5 3/4". That tells me the finished pinwheel must be 5 3/4". Sorry, to ask such questions but I am new to quilting and this is only my fifth quilt. I have yet to make a quilt simply by reading a pattern. I have lots to learn. BTW - I'm from sunny Florida as well! )

I agree to square up before making your pinwheels.

Comment

I looked through the posted tutorials. I thought she did a tutorial on this one, but since it was in the magazine she couldn't give specific sizes? I could be thinking of one of Donna Jordan's tutorials, too.

Anyway, I thought it would be easy to make this with the easy 8 triangle method with layer cakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVlL5E3EBM
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

That's an adorable quilt! To get pinwheels that end up at 5-3/4", each HST should be trimmed to 3-1/8". I am 95% certain that is correct, but PLEASE make a test block out of scrap fabric before trimming all your HST's.

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota!

Comment

• LaRua
          LaRua commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I can't get the HST's to come out to 3 1/8". I must be doing something wrong. The pattern says to start with 5" blocks and sew around the outside. I am doing that, but even if I wait and square up at the end I cant get the finished blocks to end up big enough to square them up to the required 5 3/4". I will try to square up to 3 1/8" then sew together and see if the finished block measures correctly. If not I guess I can adjust measurements to 5 1/2" and then adjust sashing and border lengths? Sorry, to be a hassle.

I typed Pinwheel Patterns on the main page search bar. Then I clicked on the "more" on the bottom of what came up. I did find something very similar to what you're looking for, I believe. Here's the link: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-missouri-star

Comment

• LaRua
          LaRua commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I did watch this video before starting but didnt pay much attention to the size of the finished pinwheel. Jenny states that your finished pinwheel will be either 5 1/2" or 6" depending on the size of the square you start with. I will quit trying to rack my head around the 5 3/4" finished block. I will adjust to the 5 1/2" finished block and sew on! Thank you again.
      Working...
      X