Wool Pressing Mat - protecting the surface under it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool Pressing Mat - protecting the surface under it

I recently purchased a wool pressing mat to use at my wood desk next to my sewing machine. I can feel a little heat and moisture coming through the pad to the desk underneath. What can I put under the mat to protect my desk? I tried using a silicone pet mat (typically used for putting under pet food bowls) under the wool mat, but it’s either too thin or cheap and is also allowing some heat through to the desk. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Perhaps a piece of cardboard covered in foil.

Comment

• kimrkb
      kimrkb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the idea. Easy enough to try!

You could try some Insul bright,it's a batting for pot holders etc, but not to thick. I have some, I can test it out and let you know.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• kimrkb
      kimrkb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I do happen to have some and can try it out, too. I appreciate your idea and volunteering to try it for me!

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Anytime, I hope it works!

Check out this new tutorial from Lori Holt about portable ironing boards. To solve your problem, maybe use a piece of plywood, and instead of the batting, use your pressing mat. I really like the one she showed with the feet. I have one of those carts and like the idea of a ironing/table surface on top. And if you didn't want to staple down the back, use the drawstring idea from Missouri star in their tutorial using a TV tray stand.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
      redcaboose1717 commented
      Editing a comment
      This was a nice video. I purchased a pc. of plywood at Home Depot......I took a large bath towel and folded it in half and sewed up each side. I then slipped it over the plywood.
      I then too a pc. of fabric I liked (it has cats all over it) and cut it so that it was 1.5 inches bigger than the towel. I did the same thing with the fabric as I did with the towel, folding it in half and sewing up the sides. I then slipped the Cat fabric over the towel that was over the plywood.
      You could put a pc. of Velcro to close the Cat Fabric closed, but I didn't. I throw both the towel and the fabric cover in the wash every so often.
      Several people that I know who have started to quilt/sew again during Covid 19 have asked about my portable ironing board and many of my friends have copied my original idea, and some have made smaller versions of it.
      I enjoy the video.....but I really like what I designed for my "portable Ironing Board."

• kimrkb
      kimrkb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I love the idea of making the portable ironing board the same size as cutting mat. Very handy. I am beginning to feel a little project creep.

I was curious if the Insul bright worked? I'm covering my own board and it reminded me of this post.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• kimrkb
      kimrkb commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m sorry, I forgot to come back and let you know I did try it. I actually used a couple of layers. The heat doesn’t really go through, but when I use heavy steam I can feel the warmth through the insulbrite. Thanks for thinking of my dilemma!

If you go to Walmart, they have an ironing pad where they sell the irons. I used it on top of thin plastic to see how it performed
    It was fantastic! not even a hint of heat came through I swear by this pad, it also has magnets in the corners. The brand was Brighter Days
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• kimrkb
      kimrkb commented
      Editing a comment
      I will check out this, option, thanks! Actually heading to Walmart this afternoon.
Working...
X