Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribbon Star quilt-where did i skip a step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribbon Star quilt-where did i skip a step?

hi πŸ€— fist off i'm a MSQC fan since your beginning and love your story. i'm pretty much a self-taught quilter with a class here and there. During this C-19 I've sewed the ribbon star (for my sister in alabama) and love the outcome. however i'm adding the sashing - my points are being sewed into the seam allowance 😱. i looked at the Block Vol 3, Issue 1, pg 82 & 83....there are points! where did i go wrong? i will continue with mine but want to make it again with points as they should be.
    thank you and stay safe!
    Sadie Webb in California

is this the quilt
    https://blog.missouriquiltco.com/rib...uilt-tutorial/
    loosing points erm is your seam allowance to big? would a narrower scant 1/4" seam allowance find them?
    did your blocks look like 8: 05 time
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; May 2nd, 2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

my 1/4" is good, i use a 57D foot with a guide & pay good attention & sew slowly. it was something in the construction.

Comment

Comment

• bubba
          bubba commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you trim the blocks up, cutting all the way to the point before joining the blocks together? That is what it looks like to me.

• 201 Treadler
          201 Treadler commented
          Editing a comment
          beautiful fabrics, the block looks lovely
          watched the video closely, Jenny sews the squares to make into triangles, but does not show chopping off the underneath fabrics, when goes to sew the 4 blocks the fabrics missing. 9: 05 did not notice that first time.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look like Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Very pretty. I wouldn't stress over losing a bit of the points. Show us pics of the completed quilt.

and actually if my block was any larger the sashing wouldn't match. i was so focused on following the instructions i didn't THINK ahead πŸ™ˆ

Comment

This sometimes happens when you sew a scant 1/4" seam vs. a true 1/4". Try it out using some scrap pieces to see what I mean.
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

no squaring needed, blocks came out perfect, matched to the sashing perfectly. the tut or pattern doesn't mention it but 2C, sewing that piece so that there's a point & at least 1/4" white will leave a point. the fabrics came out nice together but stars w/out a point....will keep it myself & try again. thanks ladies for the comments. appreciate it, Sadie

Comment

Don't measure your seam allowance. Measure your unit to see if it is what it is suppose to be before moving forward. Sewing 2 2 1/2 inch pieces together should measure 4 1/2 inches.

Comment

First row completed πŸŒΈπŸ‘Œit was a lesson learned-more thoughtful planning on the first block!
                thank you for the tips, I’ll post a pic when completed.

Comment

I am looking hard from my house and can't see any missed points! it is lovely.keep going. love your fabrics too.

Comment

Comment

Only need the outer border and I’ll be done with the top. It was a labor of love πŸ’• and I’m satisfied, always a couple of things to work on next time!

Comment

It's looking lovely if you ask me! Great work!

Comment

it is going beautifully. Lovely quilt so far. you should be proud and your Sister will love it i'm sure. 😁

Comment

Working...
                          X