Grandmothers Flower and Cathedral Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmothers Flower and Cathedral Windows

Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on Grandmother Flowers I can't seem to get the jist of how to do Hexagon's Im also looking for one for easy Cathedral blocks the one I want is solid white with a various solids in the center. I tried a tutorial on youtube but was not at all what I wanted. It was my mother's favorite and I'd like to do a small wall hanging for my Dad...he always meant to buy her a big one for her bed....
    thanks,
    Laura
    One Moment at a time

Re: Grandmothers Flower and Cathedral Windows

Hi Laura
    I will look for the directions I use for the Cathedral Windows. It is easy and I love working on them. I have a continuing project of it at almost any given time. I have used white background and black background. I've made pillows and lap quilts using this pattern. Haven't made a full size one yet. It gets a wee bit cumbersome after a while. It is a very impressive quilt.

I also have a pattern from a paper piecing book on the english garden but it is non traditional. I will look for that pattern as well. Very easy and no little hexes to cut and sew. Just paper piece. haven't tried it yet but it is on my list. Actually printed a few pages out the other morning and was going to try my hand at it this weekend to test drive it. hehehe. Will let you know.

Big hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Blondie,
      Thank you I should of just asked you first LOL....You always know and I so appreciate it.
      Im glad to be back I have missed you.
      Black and white sounds very cool.
      Talk soon and thank you
      Laura
      One Moment at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
        Hi Laura
        I will look for the directions I use for the Cathedral Windows. It is easy and I love working on them. I have a continuing project of it at almost any given time. I have used white background and black background. I've made pillows and lap quilts using this pattern. Haven't made a full size one yet. It gets a wee bit cumbersome after a while. It is a very impressive quilt.

I also have a pattern from a paper piecing book on the english garden but it is non traditional. I will look for that pattern as well. Very easy and no little hexes to cut and sew. Just paper piece. haven't tried it yet but it is on my list. Actually printed a few pages out the other morning and was going to try my hand at it this weekend to test drive it. hehehe. Will let you know.

Big hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie
        You sound as if you like paper piecing as much as I do!

Comment

That's a coincidence, one of the blogs I followed made a post about cathedral windows this morning. Hers are very similar to the ones you are talking about using solids, they look really lovely: http://pitterputterstitch.blogspot.c...athedrals.html

She used this tutorial:

It looks like it would be very easy to follow.
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Jr I could just kiss you girl....Thank you thank you.
            I love that tutorial and will be trying it soon....Amazing.
            One Moment at a time

Comment

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
              You sound as if you like paper piecing as much as I do!
              Yes I really love paper piecing! So easy peasy and no cutting mistakes. hehehe
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have always loved Cathedral Windows! Thank You so much for the tutorial link!
                I am a bit confused by it though?? A common thing for me....LOL
                Do you put the design fabric on the back-non folded edge side?? If you do.....what happens to those triangle folds?
                I am going to study the tutorial again....for about the 3rd time!
                Lola
                :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Ok, I found another blog that shows a little closer view on how to lay the design fabric, so now I GET IT! LOL
                  http://april-makingendsmeet.blogspot...-tutorial.html
                  I am putting both of them in my favs list because I really really want to do a Cathedral Window something! I have always always loved them!
                  Lola

Comment

Lola, you will find this a very addicting project. It is quite easy once you get the hang of sewing and pressing the rectangle. I have sewn some of the windows on the machine but really prefer to sew by hand; it is so relaxing for me. And it helps me to sit with hubs while he watches his sports. I love him to pieces and truly enjoy football more than any other televised sport (thanks to my dear daddy) - it's just that I can't sit and watch anything without my hands sewing or leafing through a magazine.
                    But honestly, Lola, you and the other ladies here are probably most like me. Once you are shown, you hit your head and say, Duh uh! I was that way with paper piecing until my cousin spent some time with me.

Big blessings and hugs
                    Blondie
                    Sewing mends the soul.
                    sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Blondie, I agree that it will be a very addicting project for me! I also love to hand sew, actually hand sewing the binding to the back of a quilt is my favorite part, and I love to whipstitch the openings on bibs and the ribbing on the necks of bibs I make from fingertip towels! I don't like to just sit either, and if Hubs is driving somewhere, I always have something along to do. The hours youngest DD and I are in her treatment, I spend with crochet or bibs as well.
                      The tutorial for the Cathedral Window just wasn't making alot of sense to me, but it was my fault. I was seeing the colorful blocks placed over the tips of the folded fabric, not offset as they truly are!
                      I love both of the tutorial for them and will refer back to them often, for inspiration and the help!
                      Thank You so much!
                      Lola

Comment

Working...
                      X