Opinions on best sewing/quilting machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on best sewing/quilting machine

I am relatively a newbie at quilting and currently I'm using my Mom's Janome, which is a fairly "plaing Jane" model but does okay. I'm looking to purchase a machine of my own and I've looked at the Brothers, Baby Lock, Bernina, etc. Just don't really know enough about what's important to make an educated choice. When I took a class at a local shop, almost everyone had a Bernina, but they kind of looked a little less user friendly than say the Brother or Baby Lock. Also, don't know whether to buy one that embroiders too. Would love some advice!

Re: Opinions on best sewing/quilting machine

Hi, I'm excited for you that you are getting a machine! I had a singer machine for years but I wanted an embroidery machine so I went looking. I live in a rural area so there is not much to choose from. I got a "gently used" Pfaff Embroidery/sewing machine. I love it but the nicest thing is that the shop, even though it is still 60 miles away, really knows that machine and will service it for me for next to nothing since they sold it to me. SO that is my recommendation, whatever machine you buy, buy it from a "local" dealer that can help you and be there for you. Try several and don't let yourself be talked in to anything. BTW if you haven't priced them, Embroidery machines are quite pricey. I do love mine though. Almost everyone received a Christmas present with Embroidery on it last year. This year it will be quilting I hope!

Have fun shopping!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am fortunate to live in an area that has 3 retailers for machines that do service them, teach free classes, etc., so I feel comfortable with that. Just not sure which one I really need/want.

Comment

What area do you live in? I just purchased a Janome 11000SE. It does regular sewing, embroidery and quilting it does stippling in the hoop,look at the janome website to see all it does" I think you need to consider price, not for only the machine, but also for parts and accessories.

Happy shopping

Comment

I live in Shreveport, LA. There is one Bernina dealer that I know of and one that has Janome and Brother and one that has Baby Lock. Just not sure of which way to go!

Comment

I bought a Janome a few months ago. It's just a "plain jane", but I love it (my first computerized one). I agree with the others about buying from a local dealer if you can. It's nice to be able to take your machine to a repair shop that knows the brand you buy. Like jmb said the Janome website has lots of info. I have bought several feet for mine including ones for machine quilting and they have been very reasonable in cost. Good luck and happy shopping!
            Shelia

Comment

Working...
            X