• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texsam
    replied
    Re: Hand quilting thread

Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
    Don't worry about it Sheila!! Any answers are welcome here!! We are all *technically* MSQC girls LOL!!!!
    Ok and cool - to "technically" be a MSQC girl (all starry-eyed!) - what fun! lol

Leave a comment:

• hillbilly
    replied

Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
    Don't worry about it Sheila!! Any answers are welcome here!! We are all *technically* MSQC girls LOL!!!!
    I didn't notice either. (red face).

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

Thank you all for helping me. I'm taking a class on hand quilting and wondered about this as it is getting to be pricey with all the things the teacher is asking us to bring. I wondered if it was waxed as I use to wax my yarn so it went thru the machine better. Hugs to all, and thanks again, Jan

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Originally posted by Texsam View Post
    I'm sorry-I didn't pay attention to what forum this is in -it's Ask the MSQC Girls not Shelia.

Thanks for the answer though. I hand quilted the first quilt I made and I remember using the beeswax. This was about 5 or 6 years ago and I was unsure what to use and just bought what I read about in magazines. It would be worth it to me not to have to do that again and would be a time saver.

Leave a comment:

• Texsam
    replied

I'm sorry-I didn't pay attention to what forum this is in -it's Ask the MSQC Girls not Shelia.

Thanks for the answer though. I hand quilted the first quilt I made and I remember using the beeswax. This was about 5 or 6 years ago and I was unsure what to use and just bought what I read about in magazines. It would be worth it to me not to have to do that again and would be a time saver.
    Last edited by Texsam; August 5, 2010, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

YLI is the preferred thread for hand quilting because it is coated so that it won't fray and it glides through the layers easier. Othewise you have to use beeswax on your thread to help strengthen it while you are sewing. HTH!!

FWIW I love YLI for hand quilting and really think that it's worth the cost...

Leave a comment:

• hillbilly
    replied

I don't hand quilt, but I did look around to read some reviews for you. Most of the reviews I saw were 5 star. I looked on Amazon, various blogs, etc. Below is the best article I found. Hope it helps!
    ~hillbilly~
    https://server.nancyellenquilts.com/...ect-thread.htm

Leave a comment:

• Texsam
    replied

That's a good question. I used Coats and Clark quilting thread on the quilt I did by hand. I have seen the YLI thread but don't know anything about it. If you are looking to buy some and can't find it at a store, I was given the name of a site to buy thread at. It is Red Rock Threads. They are in Nevada and stock lots of different threads.

I just started using Aurifil to machine piece and so far I like it. It is a really thin thread and I am using the 50 wt. I did use some to sew down my binding and it work really well.

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    started a topic Hand quilting thread

Hand quilting thread

Does anyone know what YLI thread is and do you carry it? Why is it so special besides the fact that it goes for $7.00 a spool? Why isn't coats and clark good enough? Just wondering. Hugs, Jan
Working...
X