PDA

View Full Version : LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!



ttucsok
May 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
So last night I was making supper for my 14 month old and I had hard boiled an egg. I took it out of the water, ran cold water over it and peeled it. So far so good. I cut into it to put it in his supper and it was cooked, just not all the way through. The yolk wasn't runny, it was congealed like Jell-O but not powdery like I wanted it to be. So I put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. I took it out and set it aside as I had other things to do, about a minute went by and I went to the egg and cut into it again. BOOM! It literally exploded. It blew egg for 5 feet in every direction and directly into my eyes. My corneas are scratched, not bad, but still have to treat them. My eyes and eyelids are burned as well as spots on my face. So off to the hospital we went as my eyes were BURNING. My husband was outside and thought a bomb went off in the house the explosion was so loud. Normally anything that came from a chicken egg I would not classify as an "explosion" for fear of just being dramatic, but believe me this was nothing short. I have microwaved eggs before in the nuker, with shells on, shells off what have you. Never before has anything like this happened and never again will it have the chance. Don't risk it, never put your eggs in the microwave. I thought for sure it would be fine being that it was shelled and already cut open but alas I was wrong.

quilter.martha
May 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Wow, what an experience. I'm glad your eyes and face. weren't damaged more than they were. Thanks for the warning.

K. McEuen
May 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM
That's crazy! It must have had some pocket of air or uncooked egg that wasn't disturbed by cutting it in half. Thank goodness it was peeled or there would have been some serious shrapnel.

Take care of those eyes.

bkthomas
May 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Oh Dear!!! So sorry to hear this and hope you'll be fine soon!

Blondie
May 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
How terrifying. I am glad that you were given medical attention - so sorry for your experience. What a terrible ordeal!

auntiemern
May 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, I like you have done eggs, only scrambled, in the MW for the grand kids. Never again. Glad you were able to get treatment, and hope everything goes alright.

sassyquilter
May 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
OMG, my sister had this same thing happen. She went to the ER with her face in a bowl of water as long as she could stand it and would only come up for a little air. She described it the same way too. Scar of eyelid, and Dr. said lucky didn't get on cornea. Hope you heal quickly. Scary what a little egg can do!

Monique
May 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Wow that is just crazy. It could have been much worse, so take care. I have never nuked eggs before and I definitely won't now.

madampolo
May 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I know an egg will explode in the microwave, but never heard of it exploding after you take it out like that. How dangerous! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure it will prevent others from being injured.

lilmouse
May 30th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your injury...I never cook eggs in the microwave...don't use plastic either...only paper plates or microwaveable plastic or glass....regular plastic absorbs and later releases food odors and bacteria...so just a warning for those who don't know...also styrofoam can melt....

SuzyQue
May 30th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I once blew an egg up inside the microwave and it made a huge mess, but I didn't know it could blow after nuking. How scary and so glad your injuries weren't more serious! Occasionally when I heat a cup of water and put the tea bag in, the water kind of explodes and pops. I have learned to put a spoon in first! Wow! Makes you question just how powerful that microwave oven is!

CrazyMtnLady
May 31st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have only microwaved scrambled eggs and I mix them up with a little milk before I put them in the MW. I have never had a problem. I won't try doing an egg like you did....thanks. I hope you heal quickly.

ttucsok
May 31st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling almost back to normal now.... If sharing this experience will even save one person from going through the whole thing, it is worth it.

mommadeb
June 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Glad you are ok! What a scary thing to happen. I think I might have poo-ed a little after that. My sister nuked an egg once with the shell on and it literally blew the door off the microwave and fried the inside of the microwave.