PDA

View Full Version : Enough?

craftyladysam
July 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
I've made a full size quilt with a zillion small squares and a friendship star in the middle. I came up with this idea to sew stars all over the quilt as it's quilting. It turned out just like I wanted it to but am worried if my stars are enough quilting? I put three across the top three across the middle and three (of course) across the bottom. They are good size stars(about a 8"by9") Do I need more quilting? Thanks for any help you can give!

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

Judy in Waco
July 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I want to see photos of that! It sounds beautiful! Okay, I am a brand new quilter, but my teacher (quilting teacher) told me to check the batting. If you bought it in a package, see if it says how many inches you can leave between quilting lines. She said a good rule of thumb is a distance of no more than five inches and less if you are using less expensive batting.

Hopefully someone else will tell me if I have it right or not.

craftyladysam
July 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks Judy, you are right. The bag said 2 to 4" apart. I didn't think to look on the bag. Duh! Thanks again for your help! I gotta go measure .

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

sewhot
July 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Yes, yes!! We want to see pictures!!

hillbilly
July 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Hopefully someone else will tell me if I have it right or not.

You are right!!

I have in-laws in Waco. There are alot of Texans around these parts. (meaning the forum)

~hillbilly~

jrchapman
July 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I think it can also depend on how much you're going to use the quilt. If it's just a wall hanging you can get away with less quilting but if you're using and washing it a lot you'll need denser quilting to stabilise the batting.

shell.scraps
July 24th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I go by the rule of not leaving any unquilted space larger than my balled up fist. That way I know that it's quilted well and sturdy. Can't wait to see it!!

craftyladysam
July 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the help! Here are pictures but not finished. Looks like I need more outlined stars for
quilting because it's for my grandson who is five. I hope he keeps it for along while. I'll need to bind it last. Got to slow down, I want it done now. :) Can you tell I've got the addiction? Thanks again for all the help. Love this site!! Craftyladysam

God bless the USA!

shell.scraps
July 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Great job!! Love how you used the template to do your stars. He's going to love it!!

Judy in Waco
July 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Very pretty! Love the colors and the star template is just too cool! :)

patticakes
July 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I like your quilt alot! The colors really pop and the star quilting is nice. This is going to be a great keepsake.

craftyladysam
July 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks Patticakes! My daughter is already having a fit over it. Momma you know you are making a heirloom don't you? Well I hope it gets used alot! I've got about fourteen more stars to quilt on it and I think it will be enough quilting. By the way I used freezer paper for my template of the star. You can press it on with a iron and peel it off when you need to move it. I also pinned it in place just to be sure.

God bless the USA!

patticakes
July 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Be sure to post another pic when you are all finished, we thrive on that you know!
That's a great hint about the paper. I am going to try that on my next quilt!
Thanks!

quiltingtrish
July 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I would put more quilting in too - especially since you said it's for a 5 year old - sounds like it might get washed alot. You could even put x's in the blocks you don't have a star touching. I'm just afraid that if you don't put some more quilting in that the batting would bunch up here and there inside when it does get washed.

Love the quilt!

Hugs, quilting trish

craftyladysam
July 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Quilting Trish! I thought of putting x's also. I'll see when I finish with stars. Maybe I'll show you the quilt when I finish the stars and see if youall think I need x's as well. Thanks so much for all the help!!
Can't wait to finish so I can start the next one!LOL

God bless the USA!