PDA

View Full Version : Heat wave in UAE!

Sewsirius
May 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I've just seen a post from a friend of mine on FB and in Al Ain where I am in the UAE. It says the UAE Defense Ministry has advised car owners in the UAE not to fill car petrol tanks full because over the next few weeks temperatures will shoot up to 53-54 degs C (125F) and can cause the fuel tank to burst!

I guess I have to be thankful that we are having such warm weather our cold water tanks are now our hot water supply; fuel is so cheap here everyone automatically fills up (it costs me 15.61/$24.50) to fill up my Pajero from empty to full and it's so hot outside that everyone stays indoors which gives me loads of time to sew, quilt and embroider!

I'd like to know how the Ministry tested car tanks to see what temperatures they burst at?!?

Jean Sewing Machine
May 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
So we shouldn't whine about being hot at 90 degrees F. I'll never know how people can survive 125 degree heat. I know I'd be inside sewing, for sure! Hope you get a lot done!

CrazyMtnLady
May 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I don't think I want to know what it feels like at 125*
The front room addition on the cabin is not finished and there is no air conditioning out here, in the summer heat this room has gotten to about 115* before, but we just stay in the main part of the cabin where it is air conditioned when it is that hot out here.
Unfortunately, this is where my sewing area is, so when it is really hot, I can't sew.

auntiemern
May 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thinking you need to invest is little window unit for in there. You MUST be able to sew.
I don't think I want to know what it feels like at 125*
The front room addition on the cabin is not finished and there is no air conditioning out here, in the summer heat this room has gotten to about 115* before, but we just stay in the main part of the cabin where it is air conditioned when it is that hot out here.
Unfortunately, this is where my sewing area is, so when it is really hot, I can't sew.

sunnyQLDmum
May 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I do remember one year here where it got to 47C. That was scary with fires starting by themselves and the road melting to your shoes. I was in primary school at the time, no aircon, 45 minute bus ride home in the heat. Yuck!!! We kept filling the animal's water with ice to help them cool down, and put the garden sprinkler on the roof of the house to try to get the temp down a bit. Make sure you drink lots of water and stay out of the sun.

Sewsirius
May 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
The only way I can describe the heat here is for you to turn on your fan oven to its lowest setting. Let it get to heat, the open the door and sit in front of it! Luckily the roads here are built for the heat, not necessarily for the rain (we get 2-4 days rain each year which destroys the roads) and everywhere has AC. Water is a must here...it's impossible to work without it. I've got loads done today...not necessarily quilting but other sewing and embroidery.

I'm also recovering from knee surgery to both knees and sewing, especially quilting, with sewing , standing to iron has really helped with my rehabilitation! Spread the word...sewing IS good for you!!!

I'm going to try and get some sleep...if my cat will stop snoring!

Bubby
May 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
When I moved to Las Vegas in 1969 it was the hotest year on record. I felt like I had moved to Hell! The temp never got above 112-115, so it's hard to imagine 125 degrees! :)

sunnyQLDmum
May 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The only way I can describe the heat here is for you to turn on your fan oven to its lowest setting. Let it get to heat, the open the door and sit in front of it!

Our heat is not a dry heat like that though, we have very high humidity so it feels like you are in a sauna 24 hours a day.

Monique
May 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I just can't imagine.

madampolo
May 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Last summer, we had quite a few days in the 110-112 degree range. I have never, ever seen it so hot. Sometimes, it would hit 100 degrees, but not many times. It was so hot and dry that we had a tremendous wildfire. The fire burned 36,000 acres, which is 20 miles by 16 miles long. It was fed by high winds, and spread that far within 3 hours of starting. There were 1,600 structures (homes, etc.) burned to the ground. Beautiful pine trees are now sticks. I hope next summer isn't as hot. I had no idea fuel tanks explode.