PDA

View Full Version : Octi-hoops??

Laura108
July 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Has anyone ever tried the octi-hoops ? is it worth the investment? I cannot seem to sew straight I have a few projects done but unless I hand quilt them they wont get done. Ive tried doing it on my embroidery machine but im limited to a 5x7 frame and its frustrating. Does anyone just free style on their machines and can you explain how you do that? Boy am I newbie huh?

hillbilly
July 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I am not very good at quilting, so mainly I just freestyle wherever the wind takes me! Do you have a darning foot?

Laura108
July 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I don't think so I have an old brother here in cana ...so old in fact i cant read what it says on the feet
I really need im even before a newbee lol. I can sew altho you wouldnt know it by my whining but i really wish i payed better attention in homemakers class :)
so much to learn I did relize however this morning I do have a ton of embroidered samplers I have made and now I know how to frame around it. So i am learning something :)

hillbilly
July 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
So if you frame around them, sew them together, then you have just made a quilt with sashing!!

I am teaching a begin to quilt class on my blog, and tonight I'll talk about machine feet...just for you, with pics and everything. ( Actually, it is already partway done, but I want you to feel special.)

I'll post here when it's done.

~hillbilly~

Laura108
July 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
So if you frame around them, sew them together, then you have just made a quilt with sashing!!

I am teaching a begin to quilt class on my blog, and tonight I'll talk about machine feet...just for you, with pics and everything. ( Actually, it is already partway done, but I want you to feel special.)

I'll post here when it's done.

~hillbilly~

How do i find your blog ??

quiltnut
July 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Has anyone ever tried the octi-hoops ? is it worth the investment? I cannot seem to sew straight I have a few projects done but unless I hand quilt them they wont get done. Ive tried doing it on my embroidery machine but im limited to a 5x7 frame and its frustrating. Does anyone just free style on their machines and can you explain how you do that? Boy am I newbie huh?

I have not heard of an Oct i -hoop,what is it used for please.Welcome to the board newbie:icon_wave:

Laura108
July 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.creativefeet.com/products/frames/octi-hoop
A friend sent it to me via facebook and their was a video looks like a very smooth way to quilt almost like a pen with paper it looks that smooth. I have learned tho everything is not always that easy.
I have a bunch of stuff I would love stippled? but for the life of me its hard. My embroidery machine does just 5x7 and the placement is so hard to line up I gave up.
I know I sound half nuts jumping with both feet ...my Mom is on hospice so I am down here with her and right now quilting is keeping all of my wits about me. I have just today sewed 2 jelly rolls together yes strip after strip and went much easier after jan told me about the 1/4 edge and I found the foot.
Im not sure what Im going to do with all the strips I have sewn together but as she gets worse I find im sewing faster.
Take a look at that octi-hoop its odd. But ...

hillbilly
July 24th, 2010, 02:41 AM
How do i find your blog ??

Here is my blog about quilting feet. I just posted it . Sorry. I tend to do very late night blogging. ummmm, and dont be surprised when you see snoopy at the top of my blog. He always manages to find a way on there!

http://hillbillyhandiworks.blogspot.com/2010/07/warm-fuzzy-fest-day-2-machines-feet.html

quiltnut
July 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.creativefeet.com/products/frames/octi-hoop
A friend sent it to me via facebook and their was a video looks like a very smooth way to quilt almost like a pen with paper it looks that smooth. I have learned tho everything is not always that easy.
I have a bunch of stuff I would love stippled? but for the life of me its hard. My embroidery machine does just 5x7 and the placement is so hard to line up I gave up.
I know I sound half nuts jumping with both feet ...my Mom is on hospice so I am down here with her and right now quilting is keeping all of my wits about me. I have just today sewed 2 jelly rolls together yes strip after strip and went much easier after jan told me about the 1/4 edge and I found the foot.
Im not sure what Im going to do with all the strips I have sewn together but as she gets worse I find im sewing faster.
Take a look at that octi-hoop its odd. But ...The hoop looks fasinating,thank you for posting the link here.

Laura108
July 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM
It does look interesting I hope to get feedback from others on it but might be worth the investment.

hillbilly
July 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
It does look interesting I hope to get feedback from others on it but might be worth the investment.

Thanks for the link. I have been looking on the net for reviews of this product, and I can only find people saying that they'd like to try it, or blogs showing the same videos. It would be nice to hear what someone thinks of it!

olequilter
November 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I've quilted for a long time(60 years). These Octi hoops are no better than an ordinary embroidery hoop. You can buy embroidery hoops for under $3.00. They come in ovals, rounds, squares. Quilting should not cost you a fortune.

auntiemern
November 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I don't have the octi hoop, but most of the reviews I have read about them, aren't good. Do a search on them, and read reviews. FMQ takes practice, but STID or straight line quilting is relatively easy. I think I would try that first.

shannonsaulter
November 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
oh interesting link...

buckeyequilter
November 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I tried to watch one of the videos and couldn't get through it....the lady was telling the camera person what to do and flinging hoops on and off her arm....never did see her actually use it. Those hoops are pricey.

cr8vgurl
July 4th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Here's a video using the Octi-Hoops and Free-Motion Quilting https://youtu.be/X3EPyYJQeKE

Here's some pointers:
1) Believe you can get it.
2) Before using the hoops, place the small and medium frames on the table, bring the two frames together in one corner... then think about the fact that once they are together - they can never be closer - so you don't need to hold them tight.
3) Practice sliding them on a table - see how lightly you can touch them and still move them.
4) Now - pick up a pen and practice tracing the lines of anything - preferably something you want to quilt. Then trace without pushing down on the pen.
5) Now - check how you hold a pen, see how you rest your arms on the table - elbows are down - opposite hand holds down on the paper... This is the same position - your hands should look like you do when you write.
6) Listen to music - Don't let anyone watch you learn this - especially a spouse or someone you want to impress. It's like typing, it takes a bit of not looking at the keys to get to type without looking. You can do this really well until someone walks in and you start to make errors.
7) Forget all the rules you've ever heard about quilting and try to not learn this. It's play - it's not some serious life altering thing...
8) You can do this! heart emoticon If you keep trying and stop worrying about anything except having fun.
9) Slow the machine and your hands - it's not something we rush.... It's fun, relaxing and easier at your own pace.
10) In a class of 100 students 3 learned they were dominant with the opposite hand than they'd been writing with for over 50 years! Consider holding the handle with the other hand.
11) Know or plan what you're going to draw/quilt before you begin and say it out-loud. I know it sounds silly but it helps! Say "I can quilt, I'm going to sew circles" - And then how many times will you go around each... (say that too.)
12) Be sure to keep your elbows down and to not push down.
13) Don't give up - it took me a while to get good at this and I invented them and also had years of free-motion experience doing it the other (non-healthy) way.
**Remember, you don't write with two hands on the pen, but all other methods require you quilt, steering with both hands and fingers spread apart. It is so much harder to quilt this way than with the Octi-Hoops. If you can get good with the other method - you can far excell your past abilities with these and feel so much better doing it with these.

Kgrammiecaz
July 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM
It sure looks fascinating, but I am sure I would sew my fingers or hand without a foot for a bit of protection.