PDA

View Full Version : Thank God I don't live in tornado or hurricane areas

Monique
May 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM
We had a bad storm here late this afternoon. Apparently there had been tornado warnings in the general area. Storm brewed up, hail and wind were unreal. We now have two broken windows and broken siding on the whole front of the house. Two windows missings screens. Plants did not fair well either. :( Thankfully there have been no reports of injuries but lots of broken windows and siding and lots of trees down. Our power was out for quite some time, but we live on the main drag, so we are never out very long. One neighbour had 7 broken windows. Our oldest resident (102) Oma had windows broken and was pretty shaken.

There was so much water in between the windows, I was using the turkey baster to suck it all up.

I know some of you get some pretty bad storms. We don't up here.

I am thankful, as this could have been so much worse.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 26th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Thank heaven you are alright. Hail is very scary, we had a hailstorm a month ago, my daughter's car had $8000 worth of damage. Lots of roof and siding and window damage, too. But not to my house, for this I am thankful.

HandsOffItsMine
May 26th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Oh my Monique, TG you guys are ok! That's much more important than those windows and screens. Scary though, I know. Hurricane season starts in June and goes through November for us in Hawaii. Don said that the winds started yesterday and the Coast Guard put out small craft warnings yesterday and again for the full weekend. He said the noise has been horrible, the windows have been rattling for the last 48 hours.

Hopefully you guys are done with it and can get power back on/get the nerves calmed down. Poor Oma has to be scared at her age.

Huggers and prayers dear friend! Ruby and Don

ChristineB
May 26th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Oh my!! I'm glad you are alright !!! Sorry about your windows! My sister lives on Ottawa - I better message her to make sure she is ok, too!

rebeccas-sewing
May 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Thank goodness no one was hurt. You're safe and that's such good news. Sorry you had to experience such a scary episode.

quiltingtrish
May 26th, 2012, 06:48 AM
So glad you are ok. That is scary. Once we had high winds and it tore some of the shingles off the roof. It rattled me so much that I sent the kids to the basement. Thankfully, that's all the damage we had but I can't imagine living in a tornado prone area.

Hugs,

Suzyq
May 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Oh my Monique, I'm so sorry to hear about all that damage to your home... And your poor plants... I'm glad you're ok and hope you'll feel better soon... Gosh, i woulda been panicking, esp as we hear so much about storms in the US and the damage they do... That storm hit hard here too, and came up fast didn't it!!! On returning from having supper with a friend, I had to sit in my car in our laneway til the Mini hailstones stopped pinging against the car... Sending you comfort hugs .... Take care...

CrazyMtnLady
May 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Glad to know you are safe. Hope you can get your damage repaired quickly. It is always scary when a storm comes through, they can be so devastating.
Hugs.