PDA

View Full Version : Cat smells

Julie Tweed
May 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
How does one get rid of cat urine smells?
I am helping to clean a house and it really smells like cat. (I am allergic to cats so maybe it smells worse to me).
There are no carpets and I need something that will kill the smell not mask it.

I have no idea where the cats have been in the house so will need to air and clean ALL of it but a good cleaner either bought or home made (preferred) would be great.

My first urge is to bleach the place but bleach and urine is a big no no..lol..

Thanks

Jean Sewing Machine
May 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM
There are urine smell removers in the carpet cleaning section of hardware stores/maybe grocery stores, it is designed for carpet cleaning, but it might work on other parts of the house. I know carpet cleaning companies have a good spray that is pretty effective if the carpet is soiled with urine.

Divine Daisy
May 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm, onion works if you cut it in half and lay it where the cat has pee'd. It leaches the smell out. If you don't know where the cats have been I would try a fairly strong viniger and water solution and clean the floors if its hard flooring. If its carpet...... try sprinkling wet tealeaves all around the edges of the carpet, leave a day and then vacume them up. Onion works best though. I suppose you could cut 2 lbs of onion in half and lay them all around the edges of the room?

K. McEuen
May 25th, 2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.remove-cat-urine.com/cat-urine-article-directory.html

There is a simple (and cheap) recipe for a removal liquid. My sister has a cat that was having accidents all over when she had kidney stones. Her bed, the quilt I made her, the carpet, etc. I sent her this link which gives the recipe and the instructions for different surface applications and she was so impressed with the results she took the recipe and website to her vet.

kelliedi
May 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM
you can also go to a janatorial supply place and ask for a cleaner with enzymes in it..........................;..kellie

Vincent R. Valles
May 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cat urine consists of mainly three parts. Urea; makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to stick around. Urochrome gives the urine its ugly yellow color that stains carpets, furniture, the wall and anything the cat sprays or urinates on. The third main part of the urine is Uric Acid. Uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor. These odors attach to minute solids floating in the air, most are invisible, and each particle has a positive electrical charge because it is missing an electron. This enables it to drift as it is drawn in one direction and then another by electrical charges imbedding in carpets, drapes and walls creating phantom odors. Carpet and furniture are a reservoir for pet allergens, and the allergens can remain in them for four to six weeks. An ozone generator will remove the odors by seeking out the source and destroying it, aerosol sprays and candles only replace the odor with a more pleasant odor they do not remove the odor only mask it. There is a natural one-time application that resolve odor problems, called Air-ReNu is a paint additive, you only have to apply it once.