PDA

View Full Version : Thursday!

Blondie
May 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/2012/tande.jpg

Howdy folksies

It's Thursday, back to work day. First client is a wonderful guy - Thursday he is always my first client. A great way to start the day for me. He recently returned from a sabbatical in Germany. We are still catching up and he is still bringing me photos to view. What a lovely country. Actually, I would love to visit a lot more of this world - sure is pretty in pictures. Ah well, perhaps once I get to heaven and have my wings - I've always heard Paris is lovely in Spring. I just hope I don't get like a bird and go into a molt.

Speaking of which ~ yesterday late afternoon, I had just come inside and was standing at the window watching the hummers flying in and out around the feeder. I big bird landed on a branch of a maple tree - I thought, wow, big bird and stared at the branch in disbelief. There was a parrot! I don't know my birds, but I do know what a parrot is. When I was describing it to my sis, she said it sounded like it could have been a Quaker. Don't know where it is now but wow. What a surprise. Someone is worried sick about it I am certain.

Off to find that coffee pot. And let Gracie back inside. I needs a Gracie kiss and hug.

SMILE folks.

rebeccas-sewing
May 24th, 2012, 06:42 AM
My goodness, you sure do rise early! How funny! I was walking through St. James Park a couple of weeks ago and saw the same thing. There are always lots of tourists around and especially this time of year the activity begins to get heavier as we approach summer. I saw this fellow with his camera staring up at a tree. I wondered what was so fascinating. Sure enough, there was a parrot sitting in that tree. I had the same thought, Blondie! Someone is pretty panicked that their bird has flown the coop. Poor little bird. I'm sure it was totally confused. I always feel so bad for these little creatures. They have no idea how to survive outside their homes. I'm going to think happy thoughts. Someone with good intentions probably rescued that parrot and took it home with them.

Blondie
May 24th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Rebecca, my sis told me that further north, I think in New Jersey that Quakers have formed colonies - they can live outside and forage. I am also thinking the good thoughts, especially hoping that this was a Quaker since they seem to handle okay with the great outdoors. But I am still hoping it found it's way home. I'll keep my eyes lifted up for a while! It was sitting above my feeders, so maybe before I saw the birdie, it found some sustenance.

RFREE
May 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Wow Blondie a parrot! Makes me wonder what else you are going to find lurking at your house.Years a go I had a white parakeet come to our back yard.I tried to catch it but couldn't. I'm with Rebecca;you know it is scared to death.Maybe it will find its way back or someone will catch it.I got up thinking about my mom.I must have dreamed of her or something. I lost her the Thursday before mothers day 8 years ago. Miss her so so bad.
Well I better get this yard sale stuff drug out before they start showing up.I wouldn't be surprised if they started showing up before the sun comes up.
Everyone have a wonderful day!!
Hugs
Rhonda

Monique
May 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Good morning. Blondie, what wonderful things you see.

Well, sewing went out the window yesterday. I decided the front porch needed cleaning instead. Then last night I helped at bingo at the seniors home.

I am not sure what today will bring. Another beautiful day in store. Perhaps windows today. They sure are dirty.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Bubby
May 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Good Morning!

It's a nice cool morning. I just came in from typing up tomato vines...they're looking really strong. We are growing our 12 tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets this year. There's no weeding and you don't have to get on the ground to harvest them. After kneeling on the tail of a copperhead a few years back I'm a little nervous about picking tomatoes at ground level. If I need to run from a snake I need to be on my feet, not on my knees. So, buckets are the answer for us. I have to say I've been buying some terrific tomatoes locally that taste almost as good as homegrown. We've been having BLT's on the weekends with thick slabs of juicy tomoatoes!!

We put together cabinet #2 last night...it still needs finishing touches. One more cabinet to go and then I can begin to put my sewing room back together.

I plan on havinga slow morning. Molly doesn't seem to feel very well today..she wouldn't eat her breakfast and isn't very socialiable.

I hope you all have a great Thursday. I'll pop back in later....Hugs, Barb

quiltingtrish
May 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Happy Thursday everyone!
We are slowly getting there with the clean-up outside for the picnic on Monday. Tonight I think I will tend to the windows here too, Monique - lots of kitty kisses on them.

The girls are almost in the Memphis area. They let me know when they hit a new state and will holler when they arrive in Arkansas.

Well, got to scoot - grab the coffee and head on in to school. The days are winding down for this year. :)

Have a smiling, great day!
Hugs,

aliaslaceygreen
May 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Morning all!
I finally hit enter on my photo order for next month's show....wheedled 2500 photos down to 59!!! Yikes, that was painful!
Now, on to other things...like laundry! I sure wish I didn't have to go to work today, it looks like its gonna be a nice one!!

EnumclawGramma
May 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Good Morning all!
Blondie I don't know if I've ever commented on your "good morning" posts, I'm a bit of a lurker by nature, but I enjoy each and every one of them, and have coffee with you every morning! You always have something that brightens up my very early morning even though my sun isn't up yet!

We have an abundance of hummingbirds here and I love to watch them as they wake up and come to feed. When we first moved to this house we noticed the previous owner had set up six feeders around the yard and on the deck. The first Spring we set them up with food, and when we had to go out to re-fill them my husband got a little concerned that we might have an infestation problem because the little guys were diving and hovering all around us as we filled the bottles! It's something I really love about living in the forest!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday! Off for more coffee now....

toggpine
May 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I just pulled an all-nighter trying to clear some of this danged paperwork off of my desk. I am really beginning to resent this thing I have gotten myself into. Well. I had better go roll my bod in to bed for an hour or two before I start all over again.
I'll check in after a few Zzz's and morning farm chores!
You all have a great start to your day!
Hugs, Cathy

CrazyMtnLady
May 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Good Morning all.

Wow, seeing a parrot would be awesome. Usually by now we are teeming with Hummingbirds, but this year we have only had a couple at the feeders. I don't understand it. The strangest birds I ever saw at my feeders was when I lived in New York State. I use to use a highlighter and mark each kind of bird I saw in my bird book. One day I looked out and there was the two weirdest looking birds I had ever seen. They were large (as big if not bigger than a Raven) black and had the weirdest beak. The closest thing I could find to them in my bird book was Black Cuckoos so how they got to my place in New York State I don't know, but they were fun to watch.

Didn't go to West Plains yesterday, so hopefully the part is in today so we can go. I NEED groceries! Since we didn't go, I made a batch of bread and some cookies. DH was talking about getting the neighbors hay elevator and taking it down to the barn where our hay is sitting on the trailer so we can unload the trailer. I, on the other hand, am NOT wanting to sling any hay right now. But, I guess I will do what I have to do. :(

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hugs and prayers.

cyndiofthevortex
May 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I got a good laugh out of your post this morning, Blondie. Not because of your bird story, which by the way I loved, but by the title. Thursday! I swear some days I wouldn't know what day it was if it wasn't for you and today is one of those days! How it got to be Thursday I don't know, but I trust you so it must be so.

bkthomas
May 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Blondie, the pic today is right on the mark! ....and Cyndi, I love your sunshine smiley avatar!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 24th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wow Blondie a parrot! Makes me wonder what else you are going to find lurking at your house.Years a go I had a white parakeet come to our back yard.I tried to catch it but couldn't. I'm with Rebecca;you know it is scared to death.Maybe it will find its way back or someone will catch it.I got up thinking about my mom.I must have dreamed of her or something. I lost her the Thursday before mothers day 8 years ago. Miss her so so bad.
Well I better get this yard sale stuff drug out before they start showing up.I wouldn't be surprised if they started showing up before the sun comes up.
Everyone have a wonderful day!!
Hugs
RhondaGood luck with your sale! Get lots of money to put more fabric in that cleaned out space.

sewbizzy
May 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Good morning Blondie...I love reading your posts each day!...A parrot---nothing like that here outside of Pittsburgh, but you never know, I guess...we have a bird feeder in our back yard that brings in so many birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer and a turkey a few days ago...we love to watch everyday and so do our grandchildren when they come to visit...thanks again for the posts and have a great day, Carol

janluna
May 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hey Blondie, If the parrot shows up again, put your hand out and say "Step Up". It may come to you. How big was this parrot? Quakers are on the small side when it come to birds. Anyway, talk to it, it may give you a phone number. Some have been trained to do that. Also, if it does come to you, Animal Control may be able to check for a chip, and get it back to it's owner. I have 3 parrots. Two Cockatiels and a Blue Front Amazon. If that is a fresh escapee, it may be hungry, and scared. Not to mention confused. Good Luck! Hugs, Jan L.

lilmouse
May 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Jan, I have a Quaker parrot and in some states they are outlawed to own because they form big colonies and destroy (eating) farm crops...they are okay to own in WI...I checked before I accepted her. Your advice was the same I was going to give; so thank you.

janluna
May 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Yes, That is true. By the way, Blondie, If you do give it food.... They will eat some of the same foods we do. Like corn, broccoli, beans etc. Just don't give it anything with Avocado, nutmeg, cinnamon, coffee, tea, or chocolate. These are poison to parrots. Especially the nutmeg, Avocado, and chocolate. And if it's inside the house never spray fabreeze or room fresheners of any kind. If that stuff lands on them, they will die.
Also, Animal Control should be able to get a number off the band on the bird's leg. If it is a pet, they have to have that band on or they can't sell them. Although, some people get a legit pair and breed them and don't band the babies. Which is against the law. I love parrots. Mine have free rein of the house. They very seldom leave their room. It's all windows and a skylight and they are content to stay there, on their play stations. If I go out or go to bed, they go in their cages. They are safer that way. I don't clip wings, so if they do get out they have a chance to get away from predators like foxes, and coyotes, and cats and snakes. Just thought if he/she comes back and starts up a conversation with you and it comes to you, you will know what not to do. They love pasta. And rice but, rice is not good for them. It won't kill them if it's cooked but raw will hurt them. Have fun! Hugs, Jan L.

Claire Hallman
May 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
So interesting about the parrots, thanks for the education.;0]
One of my DS found a love bird in Atlanta, it just walked up to her in a parking lot and of course she took it home. She has had cockatiels [sp?] for years and really loves her birdies.

Happy Thursday everyone.

NanaB
May 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Good Morning (yep, it's still morning) Quilties. I'm groggy today after spending the day at Dollywood yesterday with my best friend of 40 years. Hubs has gone to play golf and I would like to get sewing. I'm just so tired!! It was a beautiful day yesterday in the park and we really enjoyed ourselves. I'm just so out of shape--I'm paying for it today. Lets me know I have to get myself back into the gym and back on track once we get home.
Have a wonderful day everyone. The sun is shining and all's right with the world!!!

auntiemern
May 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM
You definately do know how to start us off on a cheerful note. I think the strangest bird here I have ever seen is a Baltimore Oriole. Had to look it up, to see what it was. Wishing all a Blessed and fulfilling day.

HandsOffItsMine
May 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm in Burbank with DD and family...any shopping goes through Glendale and Hollywood! I've been seeing strange birds for the last two weeks! LOL

Oh you're talking about ones with feathers!! :) Me love birdies, used to have a Gavin Cockatoo, love birds, finches, parakeets, and more. Then the down-size. :( We need to win the lotto and move to a farm, boy would we be happy.

Taking a break from hand sewing, my little Oliver is snuggling next to me, we're watching Sesame Street. :) Nothing better than my 20 month old GS warm body next to me. Love this boy.

Patience
May 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM
hello
it is a quiet day for me today. i have the day off and have spent it just being goofy. how nice that so many here like birds. I have a cockatoo and they are very smart bird.

Blondie
May 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi Folksies!
Just in from work - a pleasant day as anticipated. I just love my Thursdays and Saturdays.

RUBY!!!!!! Where have you been hiding that gorgeous child? He is too stinking cute! And already teaching you new things for the laptop. eh?

On my lunch break I came home and cut some lavender to make lavender wands with. Make nice little sachets for bureau drawers. Before I clipped them I took some pics with my brand new camera. I am grooving on how lightweight it is. Here are a few pics I snapped a while ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/lavender.jpg
just one of the little lavenders in my garden

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/pinkhydrangea.jpg
a lovely pink hydrangea that was a mother's day gift.

I have been thrilled with how lovely the garden has been this year. As for the veggie patch, looks like some crookneck squash, cukes are starting to grow, while others are blooming away so prettily. The maters are getting stronger looking as well. All the torrents of rain we have had the past few nights are helping. I've always heard that lightning is good for gardens? I know it sure ain't good for my trees! I've lost a mulberry, pear and numerous pines to lightning strikes. Sure do miss my big old mulberry tree.

Ladies - I just knew that y'all would be bird lovers. My Sis used to have a business with birds years ago. She bred all types of fine feathered friends. I used to keep some various finches because I like their looks, their songs (strawberry finches in particular) and they were easy for me. The larger birds are just too dang smart for me. I had a pair of peach faced lovebirds years ago and I declare they had problem solving abilities. Used to get out of their cages on their own. I never could figure out how they did that but oh well, if someone calls anyone a bird brain, I often wonder if they really knew birds. LOL. I am keeping my eyes peeled for this birdie. I called the local bird lady - she takes in rescue birds, breeds birds, etc. to see if she has had any frantic calls of a missing parrot. She has my number in case anyone should call.

Have a great afternoon ladies. Luscious and I are having a end of the school year fish fry where he works this evening. It will be good to see some of his co workers again. I have to let those hussies know who he belongs to now and then, hehehe.

rebeccas-sewing
May 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Pretty pictures, Blondie! I've seen other photos of your garden. It sure is pretty.