PDA

View Full Version : It's too hot already!

bkthomas
May 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM
I was so bored, my sewing room faces west and it is already too hot to be out there! It is a sun room built onto the back of the house and it is not heated. So it is either too cold or too hot. I imagine I'll be out there all night tonight when it cools down - playing with my flying geese. Am anxious to get it done since seeing Barbs' mini-quilt. Not bored anymore! Have you seen Sandys' "Why I hate to shop" ? What a hoot!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM
We are experiencing what our weather people refer to as resort weather, I think it was 70 today, and not a cloud in the sky, which means low humidity, very rare for Missouri in late May! Sorry you are hot and can't sew til late at night.

And yes, I've gone back to Sandy's post again and again, it is just too hilarious!

coffeebreak
May 22nd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Upper 90*'s here to in SO CAL. My sewing room is the end room that gets the sun/heat all day long. I swear, I can walk out of that room and literally feel a 20* drop in temp! I dark tinted the windows a few months ago, I have thermal curtains hanging and wooden 3" mini blinds... and stiill... so hot I just sit and sweat. I have a ceiling fan going, but it doesn't do anything but swirl the heat. From Noon until at least 6pm I can't be in the room. So I try really hard to get my machine work done in the morning and then program things in the cutting department to do in the afternoons in the kitchen table area. That way I dont' loose to much time. It wil only going to get worse as the summer goes on. Went through this last year. I just don't get why, with all the sun/heat decoding things I have...that it still gets so hot in there. And the central AC doesn't get there very much, being the last duct in the line.

Momofmonsters5
May 22nd, 2012, 01:28 AM
Send a little heat this way lol Were still in winter clothes!! Our summer month is July then on to the cold again. I don't mind most of the time but just a little heat would be great!!

phoots
May 22nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
The temp today in Las Vegas was 102. My sewing area is in the back of the apartment away from all windows. But, in an effort to save money, the A/C is set at 86. I've got a ceiling fan above the sewing machine and a standing fan across the room (the only place to put it). I still sweat! Between hot flashes and just plain old summer heat, I'm miserable!! But...I WILL SURVIVE!!!

Pam in Vegas

Oh, Saturday's temp is forecasted at 85!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

phoots
May 22nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
Oh, I forgot to tell you...I spent 11 yrs in Alabama! I loved it there and even race-walked in the summer, in the heat and humidity!! I just can't get used to the dry heat in Las Vegas! I've been there 6+ yrs now.

Pam in Vegas

CrazyMtnLady
May 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
It is actually a bit on the cool side this morning, but I am sure it is going to warm up into the 70s or 80s really quickly. We really need rain here in my area of the Ozarks. It seems that every time a storm system comes through once it divides and just goes around us.

Mimis-quilts
May 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've got the best Hubby...he bought me a window air-conditioner for my sewing area. My sewing area is a loft on the 2nd floor and of course we all know that heat rises...and that side of the house faces south...I was complaining how hot it was up there one Friday evening...on Saturday while I was at work he went and bought the air-conditioner and installed it for me and totally surprised me!

Blondie
May 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Kathy, the past few days have been really warm here as well; right now it is about 90. I dislike turning the a/c on, high power bills etc but I can't stand to sit in my own puddle of sweat.

buckeyequilter
May 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
It's been comfortable here today but by the week-end it's supposed to be in the 90's. I work in an air conditioned office and I can't take the heat anymore so we run the air conditioner. I have a building by the house that I do my sewing in and there is no way I could work in there without the air conditioner...it's a window unit...but it does the job.

Klasien
May 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
It is very warm over here as well.
I have no idea how warm......it is 28 C so you do the math to F....... ;)

But I try to enjoy it, since we did not have much of a summer the last two years, but today I was at work in prison and a big building like that heats up pretty fast, so it was to hot at work. Tomorrow I have the day off.....so I need some inspiration, now my swap blocks are done I'm kind a like in a None Inspiration Modus........:)

Stay cool everybody!

goodyear94
May 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Today our high will be 108 degrees . . . Summer has arrived in the Arizona desert. On a happier note, it's "only" expected to be 101 degrees on Memorial Day - hehehe . . . !?!

I pretty much hibernate during the summer months. I really can't complain because the winter weather more than makes up for it :o)

I hope ya'll have a wonderful day - Hugs!

quiltingtrish
May 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Quite humid here in Central PA - do have the a/c on. I have it - I am going to use it. I can't stand to clean the house and sweat at the same time. I hang clothes out all year long (not as much as I should though) and that makes a big difference on the electric bill. We also close the vertical blinds on the deck door where the sun hits all afternoon and that helps.

I heard it will be a hot one this summer. I just totally droop if it gets too humid.

Hugs,

bkthomas
May 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I've got the best Hubby...he bought me a window air-conditioner for my sewing area. My sewing area is a loft on the 2nd floor and of course we all know that heat rises...and that side of the house faces south...I was complaining how hot it was up there one Friday evening...on Saturday while I was at work he went and bought the air-conditioner and installed it for me and totally surprised me!

Yes, you do have a great guy there!

rebeccas-sewing
May 23rd, 2012, 12:25 AM
It was almost 22C in London yesterday! The warmest day so far! That's about 74F. Lo and behold there was sun all day! I'm so used to the 50's or60's that walking around taking care of errands was causing me to sweat. Crazy how our bodies acclimate to the temperatures where we live. At home, if I was walking around in that temp. I sure wouldn't be sweating. I'd think it was cool outside. Crazy!

auntiemern
May 23rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Thinking I would put a small window unit it there. Kathy you should do the same thing and for when it is cold get a small room heater. We must have comfort when we create, and all that sweating is just letting the inspirational energy just run down your face and everywhere else. I personally despise perspiration. Strictly a fair weather girl. Body just cannot handle extremes in either direction.
Upper 90*'s here to in SO CAL. My sewing room is the end room that gets the sun/heat all day long. I swear, I can walk out of that room and literally feel a 20* drop in temp! I dark tinted the windows a few months ago, I have thermal curtains hanging and wooden 3" mini blinds... and stiill... so hot I just sit and sweat. I have a ceiling fan going, but it doesn't do anything but swirl the heat. From Noon until at least 6pm I can't be in the room. So I try really hard to get my machine work done in the morning and then program things in the cutting department to do in the afternoons in the kitchen table area. That way I dont' loose to much time. It wil only going to get worse as the summer goes on. Went through this last year. I just don't get why, with all the sun/heat decoding things I have...that it still gets so hot in there. And the central AC doesn't get there very much, being the last duct in the line.

twnkeyes
May 23rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
It's always hot and humid here in the Houston area, well, except about 3 days a year! :) I am NOT a hot weather girl so what am I doing here??? I guess it's because I adore my husband and this is where his job is located. He's in Norway right now and reports is just the weather I would love. Gee thanks, honey.