PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Here We Come!

tortugaquilter
May 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I am so excited. My oldest son graduates Cum Laude from college this afternoon and then tomorrow morning my two boys and I leave with 3 friends I have adopted into my life as our extended family for 2 weeks in Alaska! I have never taken a trip like this, ever! A week at sea followed by 5 days of land tour.

I am taking some hand quilting to do, because I am worried about sleeping. I have horrible insomnia at home, no telling what it will be like while I am in a strange place.

When I turned 53 in April I said this would be the year of finding out who I am now that I am basically an empty nester with both boys in college and living on campus. The youngest one comes home most weekends and stays here during the summer but is self sufficient and we basically just co-exist in the house. I have been widowed 6 years and have not really looked for another relationship. This year I said I would come out of my bubble and see what happened. This trip is the beginning of that journey!

I have been very closed off since my husband died and I spent most of my energies on my boys and taking care of others. The idea of finding out what I want to do with the rest of my life is very scary and exciting at the same time.

Wish me luck!

Cheryl

quiltingtrish
May 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I DO wish you luck in all your new adventures Cheryl! I am excited for you as you begin a new journey.
Congratulations to your son and his graduation and have fun on your trip. You know we will all want to see pictures and hear all about it.

Hugs,

Midaem
May 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Best of luck to you. You will adore Alaska. I took that cruise a few years ago, and I will never get over how deeply I fell in love with Alaska. And best of luck to you in relaunching yourself into Life. How exciting the future will be for you as you redefine and remake your life. You're a lucky girl to have this blank slate in front of you. God bless you, and enjoy! Joan

auntiemern
May 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Good luck to you Cheryl. Go for the gusto, but do be careful. Have a great time on your trip, and make sure to take lots of pics. I myself am 55 and If anything ever happens to DH I will NEVER get into another relationship. Don't get me wrong, I love him dearly, and he is my best friend. However since he has retired, he sucks the life out of me. He just needs to spend more time at the lake fishing. 24/7 is not a good thing in my opinion. I am the type of person that requires a certain amount of 'alone' time on a daily basis. No DH, no phone, no nothing, cept me and my sewing machine. And definately, no interuptions. I AM smiling as I am writing this. :)

phoots
May 20th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Cheryl, have fun in Alaska! I've always wanted to go but I don't know if I'll ever make it. I've been without a job for nearly 2 yrs now and have had to give up on a lot of my dreams. Have some fun for me, please. You're taking the trip I've always wanted to take!

Love to all,

Pam in Vegas

HandsOffItsMine
May 20th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Have fun Cheryl! You deserve it for sure!! Maybe you'll run into a rich hunk...wink, wink...

Huggers, Ruby

Monique
May 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Cheryl, have a wonderful trip. New adventures huh! That is exciting. Can't wait to hear all about it when you are done.

Quiltlover
May 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Marilyn,
I know what you are saying. All day together is a challenge. My husband retired first and took over the house. When I retired he already had his routine set and didn't want me interfering. Now I take care of my elderly mom and am home only 3 or 4 days a week so he just runs the house and I exist and sew. Not what most of us think of in our retirement years.
We've adjusted but I have to admit that I did most of the adjusting to his set routine. I'm the peacekeeper type person.
If I didn't have my quilting, I would be in a loony bin!! HA
Cheryl, you go and find yourself some funtime! Enjoy, girl.
Brenda

Momofmonsters5
May 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM
Have a blast!! Maybe you'll see a moose!! There is a fabulous quilter there too of course I can't remember her name lol ....Safe travels!!