PDA

View Full Version : BEES

mamaquilt
May 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM
this afternoon a stock of bees nested in our pine tree. That must be a five star restaurant for them! I got my washing from the line a little quicker inside as usual.

here is a picture of them busy bees (I think these are lazy bees nesting in the pine tree)

hope they're gone by tomorrow

you'll have a nice quilting weekend

greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

auntiemern
May 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Holy Cow. I would so be calling an exterminator to get rid of anything that size that close to my house.

quiltingtrish
May 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM
WOWSER - Keep yer' distance!

Hugs,

Lola2Ace
May 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
If you have any beekeepers in your area, you could call them. They may be interested in gathering them up for their hives and it would be much safer for you!

DCM
May 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM
A friend just had a swarm nest in a tree just like yours and they called a bee keeper. He removed them to add to his hives and he also sprayed the tree with a citrus smelling mixture that he said would cover the bees' pheromones so they wouldn't return to the tree to nest again. He said if you get them in an area of your house and can't cover over the pheromones so they can't smell them, they can then detect their own pheromones for up to 15 years, and keep coming back. I'd get rid of them as quickly as possible. A bee keeper can lure them to a hive pretty quickly -- my friend said it took less than 30 minutes for him to remove all of them, and they didn't come back. Good luck!

bkthomas
May 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I would take that bee keeper advice if I were you and I imagine that would be much less expensive than an exterminator. Stay safe!!!

auntiemern
May 20th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Ok, ok a bee keeper. Just get rid of the darn thing is all I'm sayin'

lilmouse
May 20th, 2012, 12:53 AM
this happened to us in AZ....they stayed a few days and then moved on...we had bees everywhere!

rebeccas-sewing
May 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
There is serious concern about the decrease in the bee population. I'd think twice before exterminating them. I'm with Lola! I'd try to find a bee keeper first. I'm sure they'd love to come and remove those bees for you. If you can't locate one on your own you might try calling city hall and asking them who to call.

rebeccas-sewing
May 20th, 2012, 06:23 AM
There is serious concern about the decrease in the bee population. I'd think twice before exterminating them. I'm with Lola! I'd try to find a bee keeper first. I'm sure they'd love to come and remove those bees for you. If you can't locate one on your own you might try calling city hall and asking them who to call. I just googled "how to find someone to remove bees" and a bunch of sites popped up here in the UK. I bet the same will happen for the US.

rebeccas-sewing
May 20th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Sorry! I meant to delete the first post I wrote.

Monique
May 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
WOW!! Would make me nervous! Beekeeper 911 please!!

Blondie
May 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
wow, I'd wait on another load of wash until they migrate somewhere else.

BellasQuilts
May 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
NO, DONT EXTERMINATE THEM! We need bees and their population is declining. PLEASE!! No bees no food! We recently had a swarm on our fence and we called a bee keeper. He was going to come by but never heard if he did but the bees are gone now. Bees pollinate our plants and are a vital part of the ecosystem.

ChristineB
May 21st, 2012, 02:19 AM
NO, DONT EXTERMINATE THEM! We need bees and their population is declining. PLEASE!! No bees no food! We recently had a swarm on our fence and we called a bee keeper. He was going to come by but never heard if he did but the bees are gone now. Bees pollinate our plants and are a vital part of the ecosystem.

My daughter told me about the bee population last year. Just today, when I was at the garden shop picking up my annuals, I bought marigolds because they are good for bees. As I was getting ready to plant them in my pots and my garden, I saw a bee flying around! I haven't seen a bee in a LONG time!! The marigolds work!
Ask me in a month if it was a good idea. I hope I don't get swarms of bees -I have three grandchildren that visit often!

carolv
May 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Every year we get 2-3 swarms of bee's that spend the night. They hang out in the oak tree or on a fence post but they usually leave the next day. We did have a bunch take up residence in our old pop-up camper. I really need to find a bee keeper to come get them.