PDA

View Full Version : Curvemaster foot for Drunkard's Path quilt block

Jean Sewing Machine
May 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Some asked my opinion of the Curvemaster foot for sewing Drunkard's Path quilt blocks. Well, so far, it is OK in my book. I'm sure you could sew these with a regular foot, but this one gave me the courage to even consider sewing a curve in a block. I'm having enough problems learning to sew STRAIGHT!

The Curvemaster foot comes from a company called www.curvemaster.biz. They have tutorials on how to use it. There are also tutorials on how to make the Drunkard's Path, which I looked at for ideas on how to sew them successfully. It seems that not pinning is the way to go, and lifting the top piece up (pie shaped) , while sliding the bottom (L-shaped piece) to the left is the way to get it going correctly. Both pieces should meet at 1/4" from the edge right by the needle.

I found that I was doing two things that caused it not to work out right. First, I was placing my pie shaped piece too high in relation to the edge of the L-shaped piece. It needs to match up right at 1/4" from the edges of both curves, not at the top of the pieces as you look at them. I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. If it looks lined up with both edges even when you start, the pie shaped piece will end up too high in relation to the l-shaped piece, and the pie-shaped piece will be too short at the other end.

Second thing I learned, the L-shaped piece stretches easily. I did a bunch of them that need to be ripped out, because I stretched the L-shape piece. I spray starched the one I had to rip 5 times, and then I got it right. So, now I am going to spray starch them all before I start.

The last thing is, you need to use a tweezers, which comes with the Curvemaster foot, to hold the last inch of pie shaped piece to finish the seam. If you don't hold it right, you will never get it to finish neatly and where it is supposed to be.

Here are some pictures, you can see I was successful with some, and some need to be ripped out and started over. I can live with a little bit of being off, but not a 1/4". So rip it, rip it, rip it, that will be my next move.

EnumclawGramma
May 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm afraid you haven't explained it in a way I can understand. I think I need to come vacation at your house so I can sit and actually watch you do it. While I'm there I would love to get a look at your fabric stash!!! LOL! Oh! And also bring along a few quilts so you can get some practice on your new set up....How''s the last weekend in July look for you?

Seriously, I watched a tutorial on YouTube of this tool, you explained it perfectly!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 15th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'm afraid you haven't explained it in a way I can understand. I think I need to come vacation at your house so I can sit and actually watch you do it. While I'm there I would love to get a look at your fabric stash!!! LOL! Oh! And also bring along a few quilts so you can get some practice on your new set up....How''s the last weekend in July look for you?

Seriously, I watched a tutorial on YouTube of this tool, you explained it perfectly!Come with quilts in hand, I have 6 sewing machines, you can take your pick and we can sew our brains out!

I'm sorry I haven't explained it clearly, it is not an easy concept to grasp, nor to explain.

The quilt machine set up isn't complete. I think I need to order a new piece of coupling for one of the bars, it is so tight now, I can only get it in part way. The others slid in easily. I need all of those bars to make it work properly, or at least I think I do.

Hey, if you want to visit St. Louis in the hottest month of the year, I'd welcome you! We'd have a ball together, and I have extra beds. One is covered with fabric right now, and one is covered with costumes, but we can clean by then! All are covered with fine blonde cat hair! Hope you aren't allergic!

EnumclawGramma
May 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
HAHA! I have dogs and a cat, I am not allergic. As for the fabric on the bed....just leave it, I'll take care of it for you (wink wink). I don't have any quilting friends where I live. We don't even have a decent LQS near me. I would love to have you for a neighbor.

Jean, I actually thought you did a fine job of describing how to use the foot. Your description along with the link will clear up any confusion, I'm sure. I just hope you keep us posted on your progress. This is going to be beautiful, I know it!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
HAHA! I have dogs and a cat, I am not allergic. As for the fabric on the bed....just leave it, I'll take care of it for you (wink wink). I don't have any quilting friends where I live. We don't even have a decent LQS near me. I would love to have you for a neighbor.

Jean, I actually thought you did a fine job of describing how to use the foot. Your description along with the link will clear up any confusion, I'm sure. I just hope you keep us posted on your progress. This is going to be beautiful, I know it!Wel, it will be different, that's for sure!

sewbizzy
May 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
You have explained it all very well...I would like to try this too someday....another for my to-do list...it's getting larger and larger..I can't wait to see your finished project!

pdjewelrylady1
May 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
me too! me too! i want to come play on your machines and learn to use the curvemaster! i SO want one!! YAY!! road trip!! :D

Jean Sewing Machine
May 15th, 2012, 03:47 PM
We could have an old fashioned quilting bee! I have plenty of beds, plenty of sewing machines, an empty house except for the cat and myself, and Suzi could teach us all how to long arm quilt! What a fun adventure that would be! The local Quilt shop is 1 mile away, and Hancocks is 200 yards further down the road. Lots of adult beverages, and a nice deck to sit on to gab at night, wow, it would be like quilt camp! Say the word, we'll do it!

GrammaBabs
May 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM
i know there is a video on YouTube somewhere... i saw it...
yet another idea Jean.... STOP!!!LOL

buckeyequilter
May 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I think I might order that. I was looking around and found this site that has templates http://www.justcurves.biz/shop/Cutting--Designing-Tools--Just-Curves-Templates--Patterns.htm

lilmouse
May 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Jean, sounds good to me...however doubt I could get the time off of work to do so!

Auntpiggylpn
May 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I just ordered the curvemaster foot a couple of weeks ago because I am planning a drunkards path soon. After watching videos for making a drunkards path, I just felt I would get better results with the curvemaster foot. Yet to use it but looking forward to it. Thanks for the info and the pictures!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 17th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I just ordered the curvemaster foot a couple of weeks ago because I am planning a drunkards path soon. After watching videos for making a drunkards path, I just felt I would get better results with the curvemaster foot. Yet to use it but looking forward to it. Thanks for the info and the pictures!Let me know how things go with using it. Have you ever done Drunkard's Path before? It's a new experience for me.

Auntpiggylpn
May 18th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I've never done the Drunkard's path before but I see so many variations of it and some are just fabulous! I bought the larger die for my Accuquilt but didn't realize it was so big! I'm gonna keep it though and order the smaller one.

I actually found a pattern that used the Drunkard's path pieces to make a clamshell quilt. Interesting technique, the main reason I want to do one!
http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/Site10/pattern-KASURIHILLSFRONT.pdf

Claire Hallman
May 18th, 2012, 01:36 AM
What a cool pattern, I would not have guessed that was how it was done.

Auntpiggylpn
May 18th, 2012, 01:44 AM
What a cool pattern, I would not have guessed that was how it was done.

I know, I was surprised when I saw it. I have wanted to do a clam shell for a while and I think this will make it easy

Granny Judy
May 18th, 2012, 06:00 AM
What great inspiration to do a couple of quilts.. you all are just amazing. But I gotta warn ya about the curvemaster foot.

the circled area cracked then broke off the one I ordered last may. I used it to get a 1/4 inch seam for my swap blocks. After 2 swaps it started showing some problems.. Plastic was not the way to go with making this foot. Just My Opinion, tho.

bec
May 18th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Tweezers? I've got the Curvemaster foot, but I don't see tweezers in there. Glad to hear that it works for you. I haven't tried it yet.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Maybe the tweezers were a bonus for the quilt show, that's where I got mine! They are great tweezers, with a little hooked end, I used them to pick out some bad stitches from my first very bad FMQ EXPERIENCE.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM
What great inspiration to do a couple of quilts.. you all are just amazing. But I gotta warn ya about the curvemaster foot.

the circled area cracked then broke off the one I ordered last may. I used it to get a 1/4 inch seam for my swap blocks. After 2 swaps it started showing some problems.. Plastic was not the way to go with making this foot. Just My Opinion, tho.so warned! What computer program do you use to draw on your pictures?

katier825
May 27th, 2012, 07:39 AM
They look good. I wouldn't rip them out, I'd trim them all down a little smaller and if I needed to compensate for size, I'd make the borders bigger or add another one. Can you tell I hate ripping? LOL

madampolo
May 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
That clam shell quilt is so pretty. Looking at the pattern, though, it will take an expert, - first, to make the curved seams, second, to keep the colors straight. Anyone that makes this quilt earns the Advanced Quilter title!