PDA

View Full Version : Made my Day!

Meli
May 14th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Mother's Day has always been hard for me. I married young and knew what I wanted most was to be a stay at home mom. Of course, to do that, there need to be kids. And there never were. Well, not mine, anyway. I have "almost children". My best friend, bless her heart, shared her son with me, almost from the time of his conception. A few years later, she repeated that generosity with her daughter. My nephew's parents allowed me to mother their son. And, of course, there are the three boys that came with my husband.

Today, I just focused on my mom. After she'd gone, I just went back to quilting. About 8:00pm, my phone rang. It was Nolan, Jim's oldest son. I had barely got out my "hello" when his voice pitched to near falsetto and he sang out, "Happy Mother's Day!"

He probably has no idea how much that meant to me. Nor how much I love him.

Lisaau
May 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Meli l understand how it feels l cant have kids either ..spent 18 yrs doing the ivf program and lost 19 embryos and 1 pregnancy which died at 8wks.........it took 11 years just to get pregnant........ I hate mothers day and now l'm 46 yrs old and legally too old to create anymore embryos from my eggs..............take care and chin up mate

auntiemern
May 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Awe how sweet is that? I am also the step mom to 3 kids. They are all grown now, but lived with us more than their own mom. It is not always easy being the evil stepmonster. But as they grew, they became more aware that all I did, or didn't let them do, was in their best interest. And they love me in spite of all of that cuz they know how much I love their Dad, and have for 26 yrs. My sis was unable to have children, and she has pretty much taken on the role of mothering my grand children. She sees them as often as possible and loves them like they were her own. I am very thankful that I had my one and only daughter. Wasn't sure it was going to happen, and when it did it was very unexpected. Had not been on any kind of BC for 5 yrs. Be thankful that you still have your mom and don't let a day go by without letting her know how you feel.

auntiemern
May 14th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Don't know exactly how you feel, but have a pretty good idea. My baby sister went thru all of that too. She has a zoo full of animals to compensate, but nothing can ever take the place of having your own child. So sorry for the 2 of you.
Meli l understand how it feels l cant have kids either ..spent 18 yrs doing the ivf program and lost 19 embryos and 1 pregnancy which died at 8wks.........it took 11 years just to get pregnant........ I hate mothers day and now l'm 46 yrs old and legally too old to create anymore embryos from my eggs..............take care and chin up mate

bkthomas
May 14th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Oh, that had to have been a wonderful surprise! So glad for you!

Monique
May 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM
That is wonderful. Enjoy and savour the moment.

GrammaBabs
May 14th, 2012, 08:34 AM
That's a wonderful story... just want you to know that my "Other Mother" was one of the most influential people of my life... she opened up the craft world to me.... a lot of you out there have no idea just how much you have really meant to us... :)
Oh and this doesn't take anything from my super Mom.. she was so good to us... and such fun.. but those of us lucky enough to have found someone to care enough to share themselves... know what a blessing it is....

Bubby
May 14th, 2012, 08:34 AM
(((Hugs))) Barb

rebeccas-sewing
May 14th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Sweet kid! Just because you've never given birth doesn't mean you're not a mother. There are lots of women who have given birth, are lousy mothers, and probably should never have been given the privilege to bring a child into this world. You are obviously mother in the heart of this child. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY (belated).

CrazyMtnLady
May 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Sometimes little things like a phone call can make your day Beautiful. So glad he called you.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
This must make you feel so good. My step grandson always hugs me, love that! He's done that for the 10 years I've known him, and I sure do appreciate that!

BellasQuilts
May 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Seems like most of my "kids" aren't mine. I gave birth to one, but seem to have raised a dozen or more. Biology isn't everything, but love is!

Meli
May 14th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Oh, Lisa! *hugs* Thanks for sharing your story. I never made it as far as the IVF. I spent a number of years trying different medications to see if I could ovulate. Never happened. Ironically, for the first 6 - 8 months following my hysterectomy, I ovulated every 28 days. Oh well. I hope you have children in your life who love you. It helps the ache.