PDA

View Full Version : Nine patch help!

wendanik1
July 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a 9-patch block similar to the one you can see on the green/brown quilt in the background of several of the tutorials? I have watched the tutorials on the 9-patch, but the one missouri star does uses only 2 different fabrics. I really love the look of the one I am referring to because it has 9 different fabrics, giving it a scrappy look. I guess I am wondering if there is an easier way to make it than actually cutting all those squares out separately first and then sewing them together. I was going to use a layer cake and am trying to figure out if there is a good way to cut strips and sew them and then cut to make the units and still come out with the 9 different colored blocks rather than just two?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am new at this but love it none the less!!!!!
Thanks!
wenda

middlesis1966
July 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hi there! I watched the tutorial, and from what I understad she was using strip sets. It sounds like you should be able to use all different fabrics if you are cuting your fabric that way, or usung a jelly roll. But If you are usung Charms or layer cakes you will have to sew each one. I hope this helps. Have fun!

Maureen Henault
July 17th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a 9-patch block similar to the one you can see on the green/brown quilt in the background of several of the tutorials? I have watched the tutorials on the 9-patch, but the one missouri star does uses only 2 different fabrics. I really love the look of the one I am referring to because it has 9 different fabrics, giving it a scrappy look. I guess I am wondering if there is an easier way to make it than actually cutting all those squares out separately first and then sewing them together. I was going to use a layer cake and am trying to figure out if there is a good way to cut strips and sew them and then cut to make the units and still come out with the 9 different colored blocks rather than just two?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am new at this but love it none the less!!!!!
Thanks!
wenda
The quilt in the tutorials is more than a nine patch. There is another design in there too, made with strips.

stitchywoman
July 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
The hardest part of your request is that you want to use a layer cake. You will end up with a lot of short strips which is still a lot of sewing. It will save you some time though and by not having long strips together you can mix and match more of the strips I would try to mix up lights and darks being in the center and outer strips to help give the most contrast.
-Since it's 10" layer cake, 10 divided by 3 is 3.3333.... So I guess I would cut them at 3.25" strips this will give you a finished nine patch block of 8.25" finished & 8.75" unfinished. Then Just use the short strips like Jenny does in the tutorial pairing them into strip sets of 3. When you cut in the opposite direction cut the same width as you cut each strip originally. If you cut the strip 3.25" cut the strip set 3.25" I don't know what size the ones in the green and brown quilt are probably a little smaller. But I don't know for sure.

-But cut them however wide you want, make your strip sets, and cut them again across the strip set, and arrange and sew back together as desired :icon_bigsmile:

Remember that the smaller your strips are the more seams you will have and the smaller your finished block size will be. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may mean more fabric to get to your desired finished size, or there's always sashing and borders to get the size of your quilt up! Good luck! In quilting you can do anything! Some of it just takes more brain work :icon_stunned: :icon_woot:

hillbilly
July 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a 9-patch block similar to the one you can see on the green/brown quilt in the background of several of the tutorials?
wenda

I went into the shop today and Jenny said they just filmed a tutorial on this quilt. Watch for the video! Basically you need a layer cake and jelly roll. Cut the layer cake in half, use a jelly roll piece on each side of each half and there ya go!

wendanik1
July 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys! I really appreciate all the help! I will look for the new tutorial also, before I jump into this one.
Also, I can use jelly rolls, or layer cakes, I know I mentioned layer cakes in my original post, but am open to any precuts. I would prefer to start with precuts if I can to cut down on cutting mistakes. I really have to think so very hard and long before I cut my fabric. I guess I am too afraid of wasting fabric from cutting mishaps!
Wish me luck!