PDA

View Full Version : Now I 've seen it all!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
While having some fabric cut at my local Hancock Fabric store, there emerged a crisis in retail, blatant shoplifting! There was this big huge guy wearing baggy sweat pants shopping in his own special way-- picking the expensive fabric off the shelf, taking it off the cardboard roll and stuffing about 6 yards of charmuse down his pants. A store employee watched him do it, so they recovered their merchandise and he walked out of the store with a "busted" look on his face. Wonder how a 350 pound man would look in a bright coral charmuse dress? This Hancock store has had so much theft they almost were forced to close. And if my favorite and closest fabric store closes because of these idiots, I will really be mad! Joann's already left our community, if I lose this one, I'm going to think about moving.

What do these people think they are doing? Are they all on drugs? Does your area suffer from this crazy malady?

Loonwatcher
May 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM
We have a lot of theft around here for such a rural area. Last spring the shed at our camp ws broken into and we lost 2 kayaks and a bunch of DH's tools. So Maddening!

cyndiofthevortex
May 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
A friend saw a woman shoplifting at a quilt show before I arrived to see the show with her. She was almost speechless at what she had seen! She followed this woman from vendor to vendor to make sure she saw what she saw. This woman took something from every shop's table she visited, putting stuff in her nicely quilted tote bag! The police were called after Meg let the quilt show's hosts know what was going on. She got busted.

rebeccas-sewing
May 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
One day I needed some machine needles. The notions wall where the needles hung was almost completely bare. I asked about it. Shoplifter had cleared the wall. Disgusting!

goodyear94
May 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I think it is so incredibly sad when people steal things :(
It makes me wonder?? -->> Do you think he wanted/needed the material for his daughter's prom dress or something like that he could not afford??
I can't imagine someone would steal material to resell - that is so bizarre.

Hugs,

GrammaBabs
May 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Ah yes... it's called "shrink" and believe me people.. it pretty big reason why your prices are high and your salary low.... we've gotten ourselves in big trouble... for too many years people would just ignore it... in some cases because of "retribution"... why do you think "on line shopping" is so huge....

dpa6460
May 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I just want to know what they did with that fabric?! Eeeeewwwww ...and shoplifting fabric??? I must be out of touch with the real world. I don't think I would believe my eyes.

K. McEuen
May 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
It might make you stop and think about some of the things you may be tempted to purchase on places like eBay.

When I was a teenager I worked in a Woolco, part of Woolworth & Company, same type store as Walmart and Kmart. There was a woman that would come in there and steal anything she could get her hands on. We were told to follow her where ever she went in the store. I saw her in the grocery store, close to my house one day, carrying a large roast and a quart of mayo. I told the butcher about her, he was following her and next thing you know, he found the roast and the mayo stuck on a shelf and she left the store.

We as consumers pay higher prices to pay for the loss from shoplifting. If I see someone stealing I still report it to the store.

Suesquilts
May 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Ladies, I work part time at Macys and we have unbelievable theft all the time. Christmastime is the worst. I work in the office and I can't tell you how many times I have customers come in looking for lost and found -- thinking someone turned in their bags, purses, etc. I could tell you stories!!! We have had to call housekeeping to come in and clean up the fitting rooms after someone has peed (yes I said peed) on a pile of clothes!!! I couldn't even begin to guess why people do the things they do. These are desperate times for sure.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I just want to know what they did with that fabric?! Eeeeewwwww ...and shoplifting fabric??? I must be out of touch with the real world. I don't think I would believe my eyes.

Yes, I don't think I would want it now either!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
We have a lot of theft around here for such a rural area. Last spring the shed at our camp ws broken into and we lost 2 kayaks and a bunch of DH's tools. So Maddening!
My accountant has a small cabin in rural Mo. On the Currant River. They can't leave anything down there of any value, or it would be stolen. They leave their canoes and kayaks at a canoe outfitter near them for safe keeping. She keeps a guest book in the cabin for their guests to sign. Some robbers came in, robbed them of their valuables and had the nerve to write a thank you note In their guest book, thanking them for the nice stuff! Such thoughtful theives!

Genny
May 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry but the only thing I can think of at this moment is I do NOT want that fabric that that guy stuck down inside his pants...omg...

Sandy Navas
May 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Wonder where the beer went?

sally
May 9th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I know of a case where silk material kept being stolen. Whole bolts. Then one they they caught the woman as she was bending the bolts and slipping the fabric off into her bag. Sad to say that not only was it theft but a breach of trust too as the owners liked and trusted her...even thought of asking her to look after the store for them.

tamsterg7
May 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Jean I live in Mo too - sure hope it wasn't the kirkwood Hancocks! They are only a few minutes from me and I would hate to see them close. That is truly sad, but a. 350lb man in coral charmus made me snicker.

Slokarma
May 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
When I first started reading this, the first thing I thought of was the video above......A-Freaking-Amazing!

Yes, life has taken a strange twist, and it doesn't seem to be for the better. I feel sad when I think about what it may be like for grandsons in the years to come.

MRoy
May 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Shoplifting is awful, and it's one of the reasons everything is so expensive. But I have to say that gal with the case of beer tucked under her skirt in Sandy's video sure managed it better than I could and still walk out of the store! LOL!

buckeyequilter
May 9th, 2012, 10:18 PM
OK.....I think I will start sanatizing my hands before and after shopping......and prewashing all my fabric. That is just disgusting. I wouldn't think they'd put that fabric back on the shelf.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Jean I live in Mo too - sure hope it wasn't the kirkwood Hancocks! They are only a few minutes from me and I would hate to see them close. That is truly sad, but a. 350lb man in coral charmus made me snicker.
No, it was Hazelwood, which has been there longer than any of them, I shopped there in the 70's, when it was Fabric Warehouse. Yes, that vision of him in coral charmuse is quite funny thing to contemplate!

Jackiejs
May 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Isn't there a something in our bible that says "THOU SHALT NOT STEAL"? I guess some people are just not worried about the 10 commandments !! Makes me sad.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Shoplifting is awful, and it's one of the reasons everything is so expensive. But I have to say that gal with the case of beer tucked under her skirt in Sandy's video sure managed it better than I could and still walk out of the store! LOL!

She must be an expert at clamping her legs together! Just think if she had to run to catch a bus!

EnumclawGramma
May 9th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I am blown away. Shoplifting in a fabric store is something I never dreamed I'd hear of. FABRIC??? Are you KIDDING me??? I don't know. I just don't know. I think I've actually been rendered speechless. Yup...I got nothin!

Shannon
May 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I personally don't want to buy that fabric considering where it's been...eww. Hopefully they threw it away!

auntiemern
May 10th, 2012, 12:59 AM
No thinkin it was in North County where she is. But considering where the Kirkwood store is I am sure it happens there all the time too. They call the WM across the street, 'the watch your back Wal Mart' Thinking tho she needs to move closer to so county, and thus be closer to me.

BellasQuilts
May 10th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Let's see, steal something and then sell on Ebay? Hmmmmm. Bet you that is where the stuff goes!

rebeccas-sewing
May 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM
She did that so easily! I imagine she's had lots of practice. Joe said they have an apparatus around their waist with some sort of hooks on it and that's how they hold it under their skirt. Shocking! What amazes me is the lack of fear about possibly getting caught. I would be they're illegals. I assume they get deported if they're caught. That's a heavy price to pay for stealing a case of beer, if you ask me.

Blondie
May 10th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Reading this thread would have left me speechless enough but Sandy's posting of that video takes the cake. Watch how she walks! And those two cronies with her. Argh!

Sandy Navas
May 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I assume they get deported if they're caught. That's a heavy price to pay for stealing a case of beer, if you ask me.

Maybe that's the plan, Rebecca - a FREE ride back home . . . sickening, to say the least.

CrazyMtnLady
May 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM
With the economy the way it is, I am afraid it is just going to get worse. What is really sad it the people that go into a Good Will or Salvation Army store where things are so cheap and steal from there.

I can't imagine walking with a case of whatever it was between my legs.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 10th, 2012, 01:48 PM
No thinkin it was in North County where she is. But considering where the Kirkwood store is I am sure it happens there all the time too. They call the WM across the street, 'the watch your back Wal Mart' Thinking tho she needs to move closer to so county, and thus be closer to me.Marilyn, I grew up in So. County! Went to Notre Dame HS in Lemay! Sorry, forum members, it's a St. Louis thing, everybody asks " Where did you go to High School" when meeting someone new.

auntiemern
May 11th, 2012, 01:00 AM
LOL yeah it is a St. Louis thing. Grew up in U. City, way b4 it got bad, and graduated from Webster Groves. Wonder how that whole thing got started.
Marilyn, I grew up in So. County! Went to Notre Dame HS in Lemay! Sorry, forum members, it's a St. Louis thing, everybody asks " Where did you go to High School" when meeting someone new.

janluna
May 11th, 2012, 03:56 AM
My Aunt had a Moda Day Shop in Calif. that my Mom and Aunt Peg and I worked. Mom did the books and covered for my aunt and I would come in on busy days. We had a lady who said she was a seamstress but retired. She would come into the shop, buy 4 or 5 dresses and leave. 3 days later she would come back in and return them. The next time she came in she would be wearing one of the same dresses she brought. Even copied the fabric. Come to find out, she took them home, ripped them all out, made patterns of the pieces, and then sewed them up and brought them back and returned them. Meanwhile she would buy the same fabric through a wholesale house, and then duplicated the dresses right down to the trims. We did discover that she was good at what she did, as the dresses would come back with french seams. All that work just to say you ripped off the patterns. I guess she had a lot of time on her hands and this was her idea of retirement. It kept her busy. And we had dresses that were sewn better than they had come to the store in the first place. Go figure! She did twice the sewing since she copied every single dress she had returned. We think she was selling the ones she made for extra money. Hugs, Jan L.

rebeccas-sewing
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Jan - Incredible story! The lengths to which people will go sometimes amazes me.