PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Earth Day...

shell.scraps
April 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I waited until today to post my weekly question...

Do you Reduce, Reuse, Recycle? How do you keep your projects "green"?

shell.scraps
April 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I like to shop thrift shops and vintage stores to find garments that can be cut up and used for projects.

I'm also a scrap stasher...I keep scraps in bags in hopes to use them on a big scrappy quilt one day.

I also try to repurpose items around the house that are no longer serving their intended purpose. Not only for my quilting either....all over the house...old t-shirts into shopping bags...old shopping bags into cat litter tray liners...

every little bit helps...we only have one world...and we need to take care of it!!

Misty
April 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I shared my little tidbits over on the blog already, BUT I forgot one big one that we did. We no longer buy bottled water. We have reusable bottles that we use if we're on the go, but mostly we realized water tastes just as good in a glass.

Craft-wise, I just don't really have enough stuff to have figured out how to be green about it... but I do save all my scraps both fabric and scrap book paper! :)

stitchywoman
April 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
I can't honestly say I do alot but I do save scraps and try to reuse what I can and not waste anything! Re-purposing is pretty big at our house to!

Natalie
April 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I can't honestly say I do alot but I do save scraps and try to reuse what I can and not waste anything! Re-purposing is pretty big at our house to!

Yes, we all know Hill will stop a run to go through giveaway stuff! Ha ha ha! :lol:

I think we all do a lot more of the three R's than we think!

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!" we have been living this motto in our family for years!

sewhot
April 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I buy green fabric.....with green money....

I know, NOT funny! But really, i do save scraps and re-purpose the heck out of my stuff! If you only new all the colors of paint I have on hand.... ;)
Addicted, much? Yeah.

I am also driving our little car that get 50 mpg instead of the family Suburban that DOESN'T get such good gas mileage, to the Shop everyday! I do what I can, ok! :)

rougealar
May 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I know I'm way late with this reply.....but I like to make things, purses mostly, out of old Levis. I use my husbands old jeans and I sometimes go to the Salvation Army store and buy them too. I have also purchased use clothing to make the linings. I know that now I'm starting to quilt I will be working some of these fabric into quilts too.

stitchywoman
May 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Good for you rougealar! The Denim is great to work into projects! Once the jeans have worn out there's still so much good fabric left it's a shame to let it go to waste!

This is the quilt I made with stacks of jean squares.
[attachment=4:3uf5ymut]100_0543.JPG[/attachment:3uf5ymut]
I love the stars on the ends :)
[attachment=3:3uf5ymut]100_0544.JPG[/attachment:3uf5ymut]
This is my husbands jean quilt that he now thinks I can save :?
[attachment=2:3uf5ymut]100_0545.JPG[/attachment:3uf5ymut]
Look at the shredding going on here! :shock:
[attachment=1:3uf5ymut]100_0546.JPG[/attachment:3uf5ymut]
I like all the little squares but they are rather daunting! How do I save it!?!?
[attachment=0:3uf5ymut]100_0547.JPG[/attachment:3uf5ymut]
I can't get rid of it :roll: but it definitely needs some saving going on! Suggestions? :?: ? :?:

rougealar
May 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Wow that is really a cool quilt, I love the stars down both sides, what a great idea :D How about some well placed appliques on the other one?

stitchywoman
May 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
:lol: It could remind us of some well loved jeans & cordorouys I had as a child :lol:

Natalie
May 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I think applique is a great idea for saving that quilt!

stitchywoman
May 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Are you serious!!! Did you see the nasty yarn and all the shredding!!!

You're crazy!!

Natalie
May 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
yes darling...remove the yarn. Then (machine)applique great big squares of adorable fabric right over the shredded parts. (just like patching jeans)! You may actually like this! Does it have a backing?

stitchywoman
May 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes it has backing... but I'm still a little skeptical! Maybe I'll bring it to you and let you convince me... in my spare time :D hehe, we'll see when I get to it we'll talk! It's just one of those things right now that we talk about but aren't really moving on yet. ;) Apparently I have an inspiration resource now though, so we'll see how quickly it moves up the list!

Natalie
May 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
once you get it all fixed up, you could let me practice some free form quilting on it! that way I could avoid the huge points and still quilt it down! it could be fun! :)