PDA

View Full Version : "WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING"?

brook
May 3rd, 2012, 01:26 AM
Have you ever been in a room with people (who haven't seen each other in awhile) kinda go around telling each other what has been happening in their life. Today was such a day. "Hi, I've been traveling......, " Oh, that's wonderful, we're going to London next...." etc. then they turned to me and it was my turn to respond...."I quilt!" the faces freeze, ask for a repeat, then smile politely and say "oh, that's nice"..On to the next person.

After my opportunity had left me, I then remembered that I also do volunteer work and get to do things with the grandchildren. I think it's pretty safe to say, I'm not exactly the life of the party. LOL

Jean Sewing Machine
May 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Who cares? Do what you like to do, and what gives you joy! All those things you do certainly are enjoyable ways to spend your time! Be joyful in the simplicity of life, not the ratrace of life!

Meli
May 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
I received one of those blank stares last week, the circumstances of which amused me greatly. My mother is 13 years older than my step-father. For the last few years of their marriage, she looked a few years older (maybe 5). Since her stroke, however, she's aged considerably and now looks every one of her 76 years. Dad does not look a day over 55. So, last week I was at the funeral for Dad's Aunt Elaine, and was taking care of mom in her wheelchair while Dad took care of family stuff. A family member came up and said hello to mom, then turned to her companion and said, "This woman is the best artist in the world, and a fantastic seamstress!" They asked my name, and I said I'm Elizabeth. The companion - a distant cousin - said, "Oh! You're John's wife!" "No," I said, patting mom's shoulder, "she is. I'm her daughter." This poor woman stood there for several loooooooong moments looking back and forth between me, mom, and John, her mouth opening and closing like a fish gasping for breath. I just smiled angelically and was highly amused.

Of course, it wasn't until much later that it dawned on me: how old did she think I was???

bkthomas
May 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
They don't know what they're missing! I agree with Jean - Happy Quilting!

bkthomas
May 3rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
I find you very interesting and you are even starting to teach - Love your pincushion!!!

CrazyMtnLady
May 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I have no time for those "snobs" that thing, because we don't travel the world, or climb tall buildings in a single bound that our lives are unfulfilled!
My 40 year high school reunion is going to be this summer and I am really debating on going. I don't need to have them looking at me with pity I don't do all those "glorious" things.
I am with all of you. My life is very fulfilling with my DH, my critters and my quilting. I have friends and I love my little Ozark mountain. There is no where else I would want to be.

K. McEuen
May 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
re: High School reunions - I think my brother summed it up well a few years ago when it was his 40th. He told me "I didn't like most of the people when I was in school with them, why would I go back now?"

I work for an organization which, through the Department of State, brings people into the US from all over the world. Most of the people that belong to the group are retired and have traveled extensively. Me, I've been to Juarez for one day, other than that I've not been out of the US. They all seemed somewhat floored that I haven't/don't travel much. I flat out told them that I have to work to be able to make my house payments, I'm not any where near retirement age (as much as I would like to retire) and that one of the reasons I work where I work is that I still get to meet people from all over the world even though I can't go to them, they come to me. Just yesterday we were taking a group from the Czech republic to the airport and I had to take my truck because all their luggage wouldn't fit in the van. Well two of the guys walked right past the van and climbed in the truck with me. They wanted to ride in "the truck with the 5.7 liter engine to see how it was" is exactly what they told me. They have tiny little cars with no power because of fuel costs. We had a great time on the way to the airport.

I find that more Americans will look down their noses at you than the foreign visitors that I meet. I think some people take "keeping up with the Jones's" way too seriously here.

Momofmonsters5
May 4th, 2012, 03:38 AM
So funny I came across this thread. I deal with this all the time here. We had a guild board meeting last week and we were trying to decide what to do for the summer and two people out of the 6 of us had travel plans this summer and so they were trying to veto doing activities this summer assuming everyone would be gone. There actually is a small percentage of people that can afford to travel over here. I think people forget that the simple life is fulfilling as well.

meemeecyn
May 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Your quilts are gorgeous! I didn't find a pincushion, though. To heck with the rest of the world. We quilters unite!!! We know we are contributing to the betterment of society in our own way. Besides, which, spending time with the grandchildren is the cherry on top! Keep up the good work, Brook. You sound happy and that is what is important in life. 'Whatever floats your boat", I say.
Cynthia

quiltingtrish
May 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Well, phooey on them Brook. I bet they are so busy doing this and that, that they aren't truly happy.
I am happy putting in my day hours at the school and mostly staying at home the rest of the time. I've done my traveling, raised my family and it's high time that it's 'my turn to do what I want, when I want, and where I want.
You are enjoying what you are doing and you don't hurt anyone by quilting. There should be more of us out there.
Don't worry about them - they are probably wishing they were just like you!

Hugs,

buckeyequilter
May 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I am content with my life just as it is. Like Trish, my family is raised and now it's time for me. I work all day and I like my alone time in the evening. I'm too spontaneous to plan much of anything - if I want to go somewhere - jump in the car, go and have a good time. I work in a small town full of a bunch of "society snobs" a lot of them work with me and I can snobbily ignore them and I usually do LOL

You only get one chance to do what you want...so do it...there are no do-overs!

janluna
May 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm with all of you! I have friends that are dear to me and a Sister I adore, who all take cruises, and trips everywhere. They all say, at this time in your life, you should be traveling and having fun! I tell them all, being here for my kids and grandkids is more important. I may have 10 or 20 years left to live. I don't want to cross over saying,"I did my "bucket list". I want to cross over and help prepare a home for my family. Jesus said, "In my Father's House there are many mansions, I go before you to prepare a place for you." So I want to help Him. {:->
Do whatever makes you happy, and enjoy the stories that your friends tell you about horrible plane rides,nasty TSA agents who threw their stuff away, sinking ships, awful hotels, hurricanes that ended their trip, and know that you were comfortable, had good food, and no time schedule in which to enjoy your life. Hugs, Jan L.

Cat n bull
May 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I don't get a single bit of enjoyment out of packing, lugging suitcases on shuttles, going through the stress of tsa and nauseating plane rides, then more nauseating shuttle rides to the resort/hotel.

At least 2 days out of every trip is absolutely MISERABLE, and the whole trip is outrageously expensive.

AND I can't take my bulldog. That is now the deal breaker for me.

I don't NEED to go anywhere to be happy, content, and relaxed. I do enjoy tropical islands, but I LOVE sitting on the porch in a cabin in the mountains, with my coffee and my bulldog. Or sitting in my own backyard with a glass of wine and my bulldog.

Not real exciting for some, but paradise for me.

And I coud not even tell you the name of ONE person I was friends with in high school, besides my husband. I HATED high school.