PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake!

brook
April 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
8:07 am. Earthquake just hit. Quite a jolt. I wonder where the epicenter is/ I'm sure the news will tell us soon. Hopefully there is only one.

Bubby
April 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
So glad you are safe!!! It hasn't been on the news here yet. My grandkids are in California...

Sandy Navas
April 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hope you were holding on tight. Glad you are safe, too.

coffeebreak
April 28th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Epicenter was Devore and it was 4.1 on the reichter. Devore is at the junction of the 15/215 freeways, just at the foothills of the Los Angeles National Forrest. I am 20 miles from it! IT was a quick shaker..house creeked, But at least the better of two evils...this was a shaker and they are quick and end..those rollers...those are scary as everything literally rolls and your equal libreiem gets off and you tend to roll after it stops! Longest couple of seconds ever!

MRoy
April 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Colleen and Cheri, I'm glad to hear you are safe. I hope there are no aftershocks!

Fabriclovr
April 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I grew up in Southern California, 5th generation there.. We moved outa there after the earthquake that took out the bridge just a few minutes after my husband went across it, said that was enough! Moved to Arizona, miss the beach, but will have it soon enough if California keeps shaking it's way to the ocean! LOL

HandsOffItsMine
April 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Our oldest grandson is with his dad in Upland, so he said "Oma I really felt this one! I normally sleep through them." Upland is about a 15 minute freeway drive from Devore. Our old stomping grounds in California.

I still say, I rather have Rock N Rollers than Tornadoes. At least I know where my chimney will be, within my property line or on the shared fence with my neighbor! Not 5 miles away!! :)

CrazyMtnLady
April 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Glad to know you are safe. I don't think I could live with earthquakes like that. The storms around here are bad enough.

Judy~Ann
April 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I live in California too... near Modesto. I didn't feel this one but there have been some very scary quakes. I agree with coffee about the shaking vs the rolling.

Lots of years ago, hubby and I were making dinner and he was sitting at the bar in our kitchen waiting for me to get drinks. I'd just set a glass of water on the tile counter and it began to shake. The water glass was tipping from side to side.... the light fixture was going nuts and the silverware on the counter was rattling. It scared the you know what out of me and it seemed to go on and on and on with the rolling. We agreed that somewhere nearby there was going to be lots of damage
We turned on the television and found we'd just experienced the 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake centered in Santa Clara where thousands of people were hurt. You may remember it because it happened during the opening of the World Series. Horrific and so sad for so many people

csarina
April 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
We were in CA for Christmas 20 years ago. When we arrived we were told that if there was a quake to crouch under the arch btween the family room and sitting room, it was specially stengthened. We sat in the sitting room one night and our hostess sat at the table with her arm resting on the table, I noticed her hand shaking and asked her if she was ok.......'oh its alright' I was told, 'its just an earth tremor'!! Yikes.....a couple of years later the news came through that there had been a massive earth quake near to where they lived, I tried to phone to make sure they were ok, it was quite late at night before we got through, we had the news on and were able to tell them waht was happeneing, they had no elctricity and had no idea what was going on. The road we had travelled along when we visted had just disappeared.........we do get earthquakes here in the UK.....nothing like the ones they get in Ca or India etc.

coffeebreak
April 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM
So glad you are safe!!! It hasn't been on the news here yet. My grandkids are in California...

I was in it...trust me...it was nothing!

coffeebreak
April 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'd rather have the storms... at least you can see them coming and act accordingly!!!

Genny
April 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
8:07 am. Earthquake just hit. Quite a jolt. I wonder where the epicenter is/ I'm sure the news will tell us soon. Hopefully there is only one.

Rockin and rolling...huh...Hope everyone is safe and unhurt!

janluna
April 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
My son live in Pasadena. We used to live in Santa Ana. I couldn't wait to leave and go back home. I missed my Finger Lakes in NY.

phoots
April 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I grew up in San Diego and have been through more earthquakes than I could remember. Two stories I remember.....When I was about 10 or so some one predicted an earthquake that would make CA slide into the ocean. So on the appointed day, at the appointed time my Dad had all of us go to the front of the house. He honestly didn't think it would happen but just in case it did, we could all swim to safety. #2: As a child I loved to play the piano and really got lost in the music I was playing. One day there was an earthquake while I was playing the piano....I never lost a beat. My Mom loved to tell that story!!!

Pam in Vegas