PDA

View Full Version : Ever put your foot in it?

Divine Daisy
April 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
The weekly giveaway question made me think of mistakes I have made other than sewing mistakes.

Mine usually involve my mouth! The one occasion that springs to mind was when I was at a truely dull legal reception. One of those things one is obliged to go to but hate from beginning to end. Now obviously I have a very refined voice and speak with dulcet tones always (sniggers) but this was a very crowded room and really very noisey with everyone talking. I was.........er.....discussing with my friend a mutal aquaintance who frankly neither of us cared for greatly. Because of the noise we had to speak rather loudly into each others ears, I was just saying 'and then he bent her over the desk and....................' when the room suddenly went quiet and my 'dulcet' tone carried across the entire room. Sighsssssssssss. Awkward.

So own up! I can't be the only one who makes these 'mistakes'

ChristineB
April 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
Oh! Lots of times!!! I can't think of anything specific right now, but I will (chances are it will be 2:30 in the morning!) and then I will let you know!

Bubby
April 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Are you kidding....I'm surprised I don't have a foot-shaped mouth!

Sandy Navas
April 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Oh, so many times. One that comes to mind though didn't happen to me.

My best friend's husband and a workmate were traveling first class around the world on a business assignment. The workmate got settled, plugged in his headset, tuned in his music and was jiving along. Pretty soon he leaned over to my friend's husband and said, "That's about the ugliest stewardess I've ever seen." Well, we all know that when your ears are covered you can't tell how loud you are speaking. My friend's husband was ticked off. He said he couldn't get a drink the whole flight!

BUT, I have had my HANDS IN IT. I was a middle child (isn't that evident to everyone??) and my brother was 5 years older. He and Dad knew I had this sensitive heart and were constantly tormenting and teasing me. One night when Dad was milking my brother did something to really upset me. Dad, hearing the noise, came out of the barn and grabbed my brother - holding his arms behind his back. Dad then told me if I'd go get a couple big hands of fresh cow patty that he'd hold my brother so I could smear it in his face.

Off I go and come back with cow droppings clear up to my elbows with nothing but revenge on my mind . . . and Dad let my brother go.

Momofmonsters5
April 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
My mouth has gotten me in trouble I count count how many times...I have learned through the years to curb it some.....mine is usually giving my opinion...so the other day were getting gas and the DH has just finished paying and there's a woman with two kids in line behind us. (Were military stationed in Germany, we were at the shoppette which is like a 7 eleven) The woman was white and she had an Asian little girl and a blonde blue eyed son. The cashier asked her if those were her kids she replied yes The cashier then pointing at the kids asks how does that happen? WTF came out of mouth really loud before the DH pulled me out of the store before I really started in....in my defense I was sticking up for the woman...I never.....still in shock!
Another time I got dug in a hole with a medical professional, my son was in the hospital, he has asthma and out of nowhere it flared so bad it was life threatening so he was put in the ICU. Mind you were on day 4 and my BF now DH was deployed and I was a single parent of five kids. I have had no sleep and had to go in to work during this time..a respiratory therapist comes in to do his treatment and the whole time bad mouths his doctor, nurses and all the care he has gotten thus far and it pi**ed me off because he was getting better and they had been fantastic. So when he left and the nurse came in I told her I was upset and I didn't want him to come back and I couldn't believe he came in and badmouthed everyone. She went and got him, told him that I didn't like him and in front of my son they both stood there accusing me of being wrong and mean. Never been so mortified in my life!

Divine Daisy
April 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
ok either I am amongst angels who never say a word out of place or I offended people.

Thanks to those who did respond

HandsOffItsMine
April 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Alison, are you kidding?!? I'm just trying to think of one of the many times that I had to pry the foot out of my mouth. :)

Hell, I'm Dutch, we're notorious for saying what we think about any situation. I'm going to have to come back to this one...

MRoy
April 22nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm definitely no angel and I'm not offended at all. But I must have "Half-heimers" disease today because I can't think of specifics of the many times I've had foot-in-mouth disease. Lord knows there have been several incidents over the years.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, all the time, but the worst one cannot be told on the internet!

Sandy Navas
April 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Okay, Jean, let's not get too terribly graphic here . . .

CrazyMtnLady
April 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Have I ever stuck my foot in it?....what day is it? LOL

Monique
April 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
I was in a little store once. I sort of knew the woman who served me. I needed to ask for something, so I said "Can I talk to your father" and she replies "He's my husband". Really felt stupid then.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Okay, Jean, let's not get too terribly graphic here . . .
That's why I'm not saying.....

BellasQuilts
April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
I never, ever, ever put my foot in my mouth (hahahahahahhaaa)

rebeccas-sewing
April 23rd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joe and I were walking on campus one day. I saw a girl who I hadn't seen in a long time. I was so happy to see her and for some reason I said, "Hi, I haven't seen you in a coon's age!!!" (She was black!) Joe pretty much looked at me after we said our goodbyes to her and said something like, "Do you realize what you just said to her?" My response, "No, what?" When he brought it to my attention I was so embarassed. I prayed she didn't know how that word was used in times past. That's the one that comes to mind but I'm sure there are others. Joe has been known to say to me, "Rebecca, you need to think before you speak!" LOL

cyndiofthevortex
April 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Here's a story that might fit in here, but it turned out a little differently that it could have. I went to a Christmas party and talked to one of DH's co-workers for a little while. When I saw him a few days later, he asked me if I'd tried that bedroom trick yet. Oh my goodness! Did I talk about sex with this stranger! How many drinks had I had! When my face turned white and I started to mumble, he said, "You know, when you walk through a kid's room in the dark and you don't want to step on any Legos, you just shuffled your feet when you walk!"

auntiemern
April 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Seriously? Foot in Mouth is my Native American name. Like Jean it would just be too embarrassing to spill the beans. Let's just put it like this. When my DD was in middle school, I had to tell her that my sole purpose in life was to embarrass her. But then, I am what I am, and who I am, and live by the creed if you don't want my opinion don't give me a reason to give you one. I have never been one to be shy and not speak my mind. But those that love me, do so in spite of myself.