PDA

View Full Version : Car Repair Shop

phoots
April 21st, 2012, 03:28 AM
I spent my entire Friday at the auto repair shop. The plan was to get a new water pump and left side axle assembly. The water pump was no problem. The axle assembly was a problem because they could only say that there was a 50% chance that it would fix the problem.

In the process they found that sometime before I bought my car it had been in a pretty serious collision. Both front wheels were bent, but they were able to pretty much bend them back into place. They thought that might be part of the problem so the put the front tires on the back and the back tires on the front. No improvement. Now my good tires are on the back of my front wheel drive car so I need to buy two new tires. It's been on the list, just got moved up.

In the end they asked me if I wanted them to do the axle assembly and take the chance that it wouldn't work out. I said no. My bf and I talked about it tonight and we're gonna take the car to another mechanic and see what he says. I really do like this guy who worked on my car today. I haven't been able to say that about many mechanics. The last one I went to nearly ruined the electrical in my car.

I've had my car for 3 yrs now and I made the last payment last night. We're just trying to get it to the point where it will be safe for in town driving. I will be getting a newer car in the next couple months and my bf will drive this one. I hate being a one car family!!!

Love to all!

Pam in Vegas

ILove2quilt
April 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
I know what your saying. We have 2 cars and one truck. The truck needs bracks, my car it's a GMC Jimmy needs a back tale gate because I need to reach inside to open it. My 11 year old son have to screw on my side mirrow because it fell off. I would love to get a new one mine is a 1995.

Sandy Navas
April 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
You know Pam, it never fails. Let you finish paying for something - let the warranty run out on something - and then everything starts falling apart. I sure hope you can get your car running smoothly again - and soon.

Bubby
April 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Pam, I hope your vehicle problems work themselves out. I know how frustrating this can be and as a woman I never quite know if I'm being taken advantage or not. Hang in there....Barb

K. McEuen
April 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
If you find a mechanic that you like and trust that is a HUGE thing. I've been going to the same guys for about 20 years now. It's a family owned business that has passed from father to sons. Good luck with your repairs.

bakermom
April 21st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Hate car problems! We've been lucky to have a mechanic we can totally trust, really looks out for us rather than just seeing $$. He recently retired but so far the guy that took over his shop seems to have his values too. I still miss the other guy though!

CrazyMtnLady
April 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
We finally found a great mechanic and they are hard to find. Be sure when you go to find your next car to ask for the Car Facts. They have to tell you if the car was ever involved in an accident, in a flood or anything damaging. Lots of times after thinks like tornadoes and hurricanes, the cars that have been damaged end up in auctions, repaired as best they can be and then sold elsewhere. So be diligent and do research before spending money on a car.
Good luck.